This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Deer in Garden

Farming and rural life discussion forum. Cooking, hunting, gardening, fishing, critters, etc.
Beestingz
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 04474
Tractors Owned: 49 Cub

My method

Postby Beestingz » Mon Jun 04, 2007 11:40 pm

I have good luck using electric fence that is only 5 feet high. I use half inch rerod for posts and plastic insulators purchased from Agway. I got the info from I believe Univ of PA website a few years back. Alum wire with posts spaced about 20 feet (or more) apart. The wire is not real tight but not a lot of sag either. Top strand is at 5 foot and bottom strand is 4 inches off the ground, next strand is about 8 or 10 inches above that. The rest somewhat equal space to the top. Keep the grass short with the weekwacker a few times a season. There are plenty of deer up here in Maine but not in my garden. Here is a link although not from Univ of PA but might be informative just the same.

http://www.umaine.edu/umext/pasture/Les ... azing3.pdf

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Arizona Mike
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 85615
Tractors Owned: 6 Cubs and no mas.

1947 Circle series Farmall Cub with Armstrong lift, belt pulley, 5"rims 6" tires, SN 563

1949 Farmall Cub with high crop option and hydraulics

1955 Farmall Cub with fast hitch

1955 International Cub Loboy with fast hitch

1957 Farmall Cub with fast hitch

1959 Farmall Cub with fast hitch
Location: way high up in the Huachuca Mt. at the bottom of a deep dark canyon

Postby Arizona Mike » Wed Jun 06, 2007 8:07 am

Plant rosemary bushes around the perimeter. The deer will not eat or go near it. They don't like the fragrant smell.
"The time you spend making sure you are safe is probably the most productive time you can spend!"
George Willer

1stCub
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby 1stCub » Sun Jun 10, 2007 2:26 pm

There is a product called Liquid Fence that works pretty good. You can find it at most garden shops.
I'm so far behind I think I'm in first place.

magnumpi
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby magnumpi » Sun Jun 10, 2007 7:52 pm

Just heard several more over this weekend. There's a master gardener named Ron Wilson from Cincinnati who has a nationally syndicated radio show I listen to each Sat morning and yesterday someone asked about deer problems. His response was to use a fertilizer named Milorganite on the garden as they don't like the smell. I remember my Father using it so it's an old-time product. The other idea was to steep a tea in a large jar set in the sun. The brew would consist of chopped up chili peppers and water. After sitting in the hot sun for several days, strain out the peppers and spray the "tea" on your plants !! Worth a try. Craig

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Don McCombs » Sun Jun 10, 2007 8:54 pm

Milorganite is dried sewage sludge from the Milwaukee sewage treatment plants, packaged and sold commercially. :D
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

magnumpi
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby magnumpi » Sun Jun 10, 2007 9:02 pm

I know Don, ain't it great ??? Perhaps one might look at our state motto of America's Dairyland differently !! A friend of mine used to design muni sewage treatment plants - his motto was "it may be s**t to you, but it's my bread and butter" !! hehehe Craig

Arizona Mike
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

1947 Circle series Farmall Cub with Armstrong lift, belt pulley, 5"rims 6" tires, SN 563

Postby Arizona Mike » Mon Jun 11, 2007 10:49 am

hey Craig, did you know Mert Timmerman, dairy farmer, up in Roberts, WI ?
"The time you spend making sure you are safe is probably the most productive time you can spend!"
George Willer

magnumpi
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby magnumpi » Mon Jun 11, 2007 4:59 pm

Mike: It truly is a small world !! Roberts is about 5 miles due North of my property and I'm there at least 4-5 days/week ! I've seen the name but don't know him personally. Craig

SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61722

Postby SONNY » Sat Jun 23, 2007 10:26 pm

The ONLY thing I've found to work is ole' 12 ga. and lead balls!!!----A real challenge in the dark, because they only come during the night here, --Wish they would come during business hours, but what fun would that be!! thanks; sonny

Arizona Mike
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby Arizona Mike » Sun Jun 24, 2007 10:12 am

:roll:

SONNY, You have to be kidding

Right ? :?:

George Willer

flag
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby flag » Sat Jul 14, 2007 9:19 pm

Yeppers, the electric fence has cured my problem for over 5 years now.
I used to use the wire but I use the string type electric fence wire from TSC. It is easier to handle and light weight, no sags on long pulls with fewer posts. My fence is 6' high and with 4 strands of string put on a timer starting at dark 30 to daylight. Florida deer is not as big as those in the northern states so it may have to be 8' high. :D

Uncle Mike
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Uncle Mike » Wed Jul 18, 2007 8:20 am

My wife went through the computer software CD's we had hanging around, and tied a fish line on poles across the garden and hung the CDs from this with more fish line. No deer for a month. Will see how long it lasts.

Trent M
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 62859
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Trent M » Wed Jul 18, 2007 7:18 pm

I've also heard Ivory soap shavings will keep 'em away. They don't like any fragrant stuff. Never tried it though. I bet the "pepper tea" works, too. Doesn't sound very appetizing. Probably have to do it over and over after each rain.

Trent
Trent McPeak

dpty234b
10+ Years
10+ Years

Deer fencing

Postby dpty234b » Mon Jul 23, 2007 9:07 pm

Get some 10# clear monofilament fishing line place around and through the garden > The deer can't see it but know that there is somrthing there and it will scare them if thier noses touch it. It works great and you won't have to shock them with an electric jolt or a jolt from a lead projectile esp. if you miss neighbors may be a little upset.

flag
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby flag » Fri Jul 27, 2007 9:21 pm

Sonny
The ONLY thing I've found to work is ole' 12 ga. and lead balls!!!----A real challenge in the dark, because they only come during the night here, --Wish they would come during business hours, but what fun would that be!! thanks; sonny

Have you noticed the heavy smoke cloud after the trigger is pulled....only seen at night with a light :D . During daylight hours it is not seen :!:
I got my spring garden wiped out in one night, the deer walk right down the middle of each - (15) rows and straight as an arrow and only nubs were left.
I was so furious that I took action that night with revenge in hand.
Then the electric fence went up next planting and no more problems since.

This happened the first year that I moved to the country life as I had much to learn, kind like the old TV series "Green Acres" . hehehe

Return to “Farm Life and Better Half Forum”