This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

carpenter bees

Farming and rural life discussion forum. Cooking, hunting, gardening, fishing, critters, etc.
john2189
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44657
Circle of Safety: Y

carpenter bees

Postby john2189 » Mon Jun 11, 2007 10:17 pm

how do you get rid of carpenter bees ?
'49 Cub (Vince)
'41 allis B with Woods L59 mower
656 Wheel Horse with 42” sickle mower
C-165 Wheel Horse
Simplicity 20 HP Sunstar
Honda 48” walk behind mower

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Jeff Silvey
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 46055
Tractors Owned: -
1950 Demo,1956 w/ FH, 1959 w 59" mower,
Cub L-54 Blade,152 Plow
189 plow, LF 194 Plow, Woods 42" Mower,
Choremaster Garden tractors & Implements
Antique Gas engines

Postby Jeff Silvey » Tue Jun 12, 2007 6:30 am

Spray some bee killer in hole then put a shot of spray foam in hole. Be careful not to put to much foam in hole it will split board.
Jeff
Last edited by Jeff Silvey on Tue Jun 12, 2007 6:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
In my line of work
" EVERYBODY GOES HOME THE NEXT MORNING"

Bill Hudson
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 44057
Tractors Owned: 57 F-Cub - Dad & Mom's Cub
77 F-Cub - Red Long Stripe

Postby Bill Hudson » Tue Jun 12, 2007 6:44 am

John,

Here is the link to an Ohio State University Extension FactSheet on carpenter bees http://ohioline.osu.edu/hyg-fact/2000/pdf/2074.pdf

I hope this helps.

Bill
Bill

"The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop." Edwin Conklin, biologist

Member of Ohio Chapter #6

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Tue Jun 12, 2007 9:58 am

You can buy an insulating foram specifically for doors and windows now that will not expand and cause damage as the earlier foams did.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Tim Moore
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Tim Moore » Wed Jun 13, 2007 12:36 am

I am a little new here as a poster but I can add some ideas. My job is pest managment and animal control at MSU, I also have a personal pest managment business of 12 years. Carpenter bees are difficult. They don't live in a colony and thankfully they aren't aggressive, they like to buzz you but normally don't sting.

I like to use dusts for control. A compound you can buy is Sevin garden dust by Ortho. This is a 5% carbmate as the active ingredient and similar to products that I use--buy it for your garden pests. I have to be careful how this is worded because I can't tell you to use it because carpenter bees might not be on the label as a target pest. If you do find a dust you want to use (and names carpenter bees on the label) and don't have or can't find a hand duster a $2 turkey baster will work. Just load the bulb with dust and at night puff it into the holes (it doesn't take much--don't fill the holes with dust). When done throw out the duster so it doesn't get used for food or clearly mark it with a perminent marker. The dust will stay effective for a long time as it won't get wet in the void. The insects will ingest the dust while cleaning themselves off and it doesn't make them mad like sprays. Bees don't mind dust--it is like pollen that they are used to but sprays are neuro toxins that burn.

After you kill the active insects you should treat the wood they are drilling in. I prefer "permethrin" for this due to its long residual activity and toxicity to bees. You would want to find a liquid formulation that mixes with water and spray it out of your yard sprayer. I use comercial compounds that when mixed are at a .125%. Always follow label directions and no, more isn't necessarily better.

Keep the wood painted or if possible wrap it in aluminum trim. If you have conditions that they like they will probably be back each year.

Always be carefull with pesticides and avoid drift that can contact non target species. Store pesticides away from children and pets.

Good luck and "bee" careful--

Tim Moore

john2189
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44657

Postby john2189 » Wed Jun 13, 2007 7:28 am

thanks all
'49 Cub (Vince)
'41 allis B with Woods L59 mower
656 Wheel Horse with 42” sickle mower
C-165 Wheel Horse
Simplicity 20 HP Sunstar
Honda 48” walk behind mower

KETCHAM
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44645
eBay ID: kevinb2366
Tractors Owned: 47 Cub 48 Cub 50 H

Postby KETCHAM » Wed Jun 13, 2007 1:02 pm

Beat e'm with a broom!!!I feel like Babe Ruth when I get one.HaHa Kevin He is out of here!!!!
47 CUB[Krusty] 49 CUB[Ollie] 50 H-- PLOWS DISCS MOWERS AND lots more stuff!!Life is to short -Have fun now cause ya ain't gonna be here long!!!!

Paul B
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 40218

Postby Paul B » Wed Jun 13, 2007 3:29 pm

If carpenter bee's are the same thing as what is called wood bee's around here (look like a bumble bee but smaller), I cut some plugs from a 3/8" wood dowel about an 1'" long. and in the evening when the bee is in the hole it has made, drive the dowel plug in the hole and seal them in. They drill a near perfect 3/8" hole. They seem to love the pressure treated wood in the fence around my back yard, and even drilled into the side rails and decking of my last trailer.

deputy jailer
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby deputy jailer » Thu Jun 14, 2007 12:02 am

Hire some Union carpenter bees or some contractor bees that show up part of the time :D But me I would just beat them with the broom :D

grumpy
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 15522

Postby grumpy » Thu Jun 14, 2007 12:08 pm

Use em for quality entertainment. Sit on your favorite lawn chair with a 6 pack and a B-B gun :lol: :lol: Works for me. Grump
David Dee Mock-Leonard

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

Some days it's not worth chewing through the restraints

Into Tractors
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 45387

Postby Into Tractors » Thu Jun 14, 2007 12:24 pm

I guess my remedy for getting rid of yellow jackets won't work for you. I sneak out at night, pour some gas in the hole while they are inactive, then if the gas fumes don't kill them, I toss a match :!: :twisted: :!:

Pretty sure my method might have some effect on your wood structure :?:
Mike Duncan

paw's49
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby paw's49 » Wed Aug 01, 2007 6:35 pm

Yep those yellow jackets are nasty. Got into a mess of them mowing last year. They just didn't like me mowing around their home - not at all. They surely made their point (no pun intended). Wish there was a permanent way to get rid of them. It's about that time of year - I start looking ahead of the mower for holes in the ground.
1949 Cub 81987.
I can take it apart....problem is getting it back together.

pete1941
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby pete1941 » Wed Aug 01, 2007 7:05 pm

Kevin mentioned the broom, but I made a Bumble Bee swatter out of about a 5' piece of PVC and attached a piece of 1/8th mesh wire to the pvc with screws. I stays handy in the shop, so when you hear the buzz, I grab the swatter and hardly ever miss as you create no wind push and beleive it or not, after 2 and 1/2 years, I hardly ever see the bees anymore. And, what's more it's fun and a great stress reducer :roll: :wink: . Pete

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Wed Aug 01, 2007 9:05 pm

I had forgotten about it till the bumble bees were mentioned, but I have heard of people putting an electric fan right at the opening of their nest, and they will fight the moving blades till the die form exhaustion. Don't know if that would work on wood bees or not, but I kind of doubt it.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Uncle Mike
10+ Years
10+ Years

Buble Bees

Postby Uncle Mike » Thu Aug 02, 2007 1:36 pm

Having never been stung by a bumble, and wanting my stuff polinated, I was wondering kill them off. I heard from a bee keeper that Honey beas don't polinate much, and the bumble are out when its cool and cloudy (Important here in the NW). They seem pretty gentle, my girls are always picking them up off the flowers and holding them.

Return to “Farm Life and Better Half Forum”