This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

mice

Farming and rural life discussion forum. Cooking, hunting, gardening, fishing, critters, etc.
john2189
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44657
Circle of Safety: Y

mice

Postby john2189 » Mon Jul 02, 2007 10:49 pm

anyone having trouble with mice in the house ? the cats have caught and killed 6 mice in the past week. I have seen mice in the house during the winter , but not in the summer .

John
'49 Cub (Vince)
'41 allis B with Woods L59 mower
656 Wheel Horse with 42” sickle mower
C-165 Wheel Horse
Simplicity 20 HP Sunstar
Honda 48” walk behind mower

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

KETCHAM
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44645
eBay ID: kevinb2366
Tractors Owned: 47 Cub 48 Cub 50 H

Postby KETCHAM » Tue Jul 03, 2007 5:47 am

I live in a 1860s farm house.We have a few that stay year round.I keep traps out year round.Fall is bad,but at least you have a worth while cat.Tracys cat has a hard time even with moles HAHA!!!!!I get on a roll 3 times a year to get rid of quite a few.GOOD LUCK!!!!Kevin
47 CUB[Krusty] 49 CUB[Ollie] 50 H-- PLOWS DISCS MOWERS AND lots more stuff!!Life is to short -Have fun now cause ya ain't gonna be here long!!!!

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Tue Jul 03, 2007 11:33 am

If it has been extremely dry where you are, they may be coming in looking for water.
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

Into Tractors
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 45387

Postby Into Tractors » Tue Jul 03, 2007 11:40 am

While at RedMan's for CubFest I saw the answer to your problem.

They had a whole litter of kittens there, you just need more mouse catchers :{_}:
Mike Duncan

pete1941
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby pete1941 » Tue Jul 03, 2007 1:19 pm

John, ditto what Don M. says. It has been extremely dry here so far this year and even the ants have been coming in to search for water. A little rain will more than likely take care of the situation, if not, more cats :!: .

john2189
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby john2189 » Tue Jul 03, 2007 10:20 pm

it has been dry here that could be
'49 Cub (Vince)
C-165 Wheel Horse
Simplicity 20 HP Sunstar

Lurker Carl
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 16685

Postby Lurker Carl » Wed Jul 04, 2007 9:10 pm

I keep traps set year 'round, baited with peanut butter. I've been renewing the bait about once a month but mice don't seem to prefer fresh over stale. Don't know if I'm catching mice already in the house or attracting them! Fall and winter are prime time for mouse trapping, winter and spring for squirrels and summer for groundhogs - rodents are keeping me busy.
"Chance favors the prepared mind."
- Louis Pasteur

"In character, in manners, in style, in all things, the supreme excellence is simplicity."
- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

FCUBMAN
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 2 Cubs
1 Simplicity
1 Craftsman
1 Farmall 130 with loader
1 Tiger

Postby FCUBMAN » Thu Jul 05, 2007 12:53 am

Too many mice here! Had one that would get up in the soffit and start gnawing at the aluminum - at 4:14 AM for an hour or so. Damn thing must have had a watch, it was always on time, for about 3 days. Finally caught it in a trap down in the garage. I couldn't sleep hearing some rodent trying to destroy my house. In the last 3 or 4 weeks, have caught 10 mice in traps. The critters take turns invading us. Last year it was ants. Ants of all sizes. Lots of ants. Terro finally got them all, but it took a couple of weeks. They were even coming up through cracks in the slab in an addition, getting on the kitchen counters, all over the place. Year before that, it was spiders, something out of a bad horror movie. All part of country living, and still tons better than city life with rats (both 2 and 4 legged ones!)
We love it in the country, and the critters are all a part of it. :D :D

P.S. Peanut butter works great in the traps. The new style plastic traps aren't very good. The old style wood ones work the best for me, and the less bait, the better. If I use too much bait, they lick a little off, and go away. With just a little bait, they try harder, and WHAM! I had one mouse that would take the bait, and not get caught. This went on for 5 days! I finally drilled a tiny hole in a peanut, and tied it to the trap trigger with thread. That got him!
"Remember, I'm pulling for you - we're all in this together!"
Quoted from Red Green of Possum Lodge

When you get older, lack of pep is often mistaken for patience.

(1956 and 1948 Cubs)

Hengy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 15101
eBay ID: lacrosseorgans
Skype Name: Mike.Hengelsberg
Tractors Owned: 1949 Cub "Merlin"
1955 Cub "Lewis"
Cub Trailer
A-60 Blade
Cub-22 Mower
193 Plow

Postby Hengy » Thu Jul 05, 2007 7:39 am

Late last winter, I had to resort to the glue traps along the "mouse highway" in my kitchen. Apparently, I had caught the momma and papa mouse earlier in the winter, and the little mice were out foraging. Set the snap traps every night, and in the morning, the bait was gone and trap was still set :evil: :evil: :x

Well, I got the glue traps and set them where they ran....CAUGHT 10 OF THEM within two days. Now, I keep a glue trap on that highway all the time. No mice since winter...

Mike in La Crosse, WI
Mike (Happy as a Lark in Allison Park, PA)
Image Image

Check out my Restoration Thread (1955 Cub, Lewis)

Lurker Carl
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby Lurker Carl » Thu Jul 05, 2007 12:36 pm

I agree, those plastic traps aren't worth a hoot. And don't even bring up the the lovey-dovey "catch and release" live traps, we're talking war and ya gotta be heartless.

The wood and metal Victor traps work the best but you need to fine tune them to work on a hair trigger. Keep those little buggers from taking the bait without paying the penality. I'm not sure about mouse trap terminology so bear with me. Adjust that little tab on the opposite end of bait hook that holds the crook in the wire that sets the trap. I think Victor had to make their traps child resistant. The slightest jarring or nudging should release the snapper and snag your prey, even setting the trap and putting it in place should require gentle and deliberate movement on your part.

My traps will snap as the humidity changes and the wood swells or shrinks, but nothing steals my bait and lives to tell about it. SNAP, WHACK, makes my heart sing!
- Louis Pasteur

"In character, in manners, in style, in all things, the supreme excellence is simplicity."

john2189
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby john2189 » Fri Jul 06, 2007 10:38 pm

I also use peanut butter , but I rub the pb on a small peice of paper towel and put it in the traps trigger, the mice have to work harder to get it and then it sets the trap off....
'49 Cub (Vince)
C-165 Wheel Horse
Simplicity 20 HP Sunstar

KETCHAM
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby KETCHAM » Sat Jul 07, 2007 10:29 pm

Carl you are ruthless!!!!HaHa!!!!!Kevin come over to my house have a worthless cat!!!!
47 CUB[Krusty] 49 CUB[Ollie] 50 H-- PLOWS DISCS MOWERS AND lots more stuff!!Life is to short -Have fun now cause ya ain't gonna be here long!!!!

Lurker Carl
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby Lurker Carl » Sun Jul 08, 2007 8:08 pm

Sorry, Kevin. I don't need worthless cats and evidently worthless cats don't need me.

We had an extremely anorexic cat come over to our house on Saturday. My lovely wife felt sorry for the poor creature and decided to put a hot dog out for it. A Hebrew National, just in case the cat's kosher. You never know unless you ask. The cat promptly dropped dead in the yard as the food was delivered so we never found out. But I gave the creature a prompt burial anyway.

P.S. - The food was prepared and parceled by a gentle and caring hand. I had nothing to do with it's demise. HONEST. There are witnesses.
- Louis Pasteur

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Mon Jul 09, 2007 11:00 am

Carl
West Nile, CWD and Rabies comr to mind as I read your posting. Fortunately my lowboy drips a little antifreez in the garage. I keep a tray under it. Since this started I noticed the pellets I keep in the bottom of the work bench are not dissappearing as quickly as they used to. Just can't figure it out.
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

KETCHAM
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby KETCHAM » Mon Jul 09, 2007 12:48 pm

Not a bad thought,hhhmmmm cat and mice same time.Tracy would kill me she loves that worthless cat as dry as it has been the antifreeze trick is a good one.Just have to put it where the cat can't get to it.Kevin

Return to “Farm Life and Better Half Forum”