This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

mice

Farming and rural life discussion forum. Cooking, hunting, gardening, fishing, critters, etc.
RustyVT
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby RustyVT » Tue Jul 10, 2007 8:08 am

Glad to hear I wasn't the only one with a mouse onslaught. I keep poison down most of the time, and it usually goes untouched between April and October. Last week- 7 bodies removed from the basement! Scent indicates there must be at least one more waiting to be found, unfortunately. Good luck in the battle!

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Lurker Carl
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 16685
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Lurker Carl » Tue Jul 10, 2007 8:31 am

I don't use poison because the bodies tend to accumulate where humans can't easily retieve them. The smell of a dead mouse is just as irritating as the knowledge of of a live one.

Also, poisoned prey may poison predators, depending on the toxin in the bait. I want all the help I can get!
"Chance favors the prepared mind."
- Louis Pasteur

"In character, in manners, in style, in all things, the supreme excellence is simplicity."
- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

FarmLadyWannaB
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby FarmLadyWannaB » Tue Jul 10, 2007 11:49 am

GAZILLIONS of mice, or at least gazillions of mouse droppings, some of them undoubtedly real antiques, in my not-cleaned-in-decades 1880 barn led me to adopt 3 adult feral/semi-feral 'barn cats' a week ago, from a local 'Homeless Cat Project' lady. All spayed females. Well, I'm not sure about the lady but the other 3 are.

:shock: :!: :?: [Where did SHE pop up again? some of you may be wondering 'cause I haven't posted in my months because I GOT A SMALL FARM :D :D . Will re-introduce under some other topic.]

I am dutifully confining them in the barn in the loft 'chicken penthouse' (4 coop rooms built over about half the loft area--rather clever, actually) until they get acclimated & won't run away. One will let me scratch her head. One will come about 6 inches away. The third is really a scaredy-cat, stays a good distance away. At least after my feeding them and making mew-mew noises like Mr. Rogers for the past week they will come up when I enter their room, which comes complete with the Kitty-TV channel--the coop walls are 2/3 wire and there are roosts and a platform at one end of the room, so they can sit there & watch the antics of the chickens one coop/room away (licking their lips, I might add, if cats have lips). All I can say is, THEY BETTER BE GOOD MOUSERS when I let them out of jail because the copious mouse droppings are disgusting! The mice run along the beams overhead and.... UGH!

FarmLadyWannaBe
now in western Massachusetts near Springfield
1948 Farmall Cub ("Lil")
--------------------------
"All things bright and beautiful, all creatures great and small, all things wise and wonderful, the Lord God made them all."

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113

Postby Bigdog » Tue Jul 10, 2007 12:10 pm

Jocelyn - it's good to see you posting again!
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420

Postby George Willer » Tue Jul 10, 2007 1:00 pm

Jocelyn,

I agree... It's good to see you again.!

Mouse droppings aren't always a bad thing. I'm really glad to see them... By coincidence directly below my long vacant bat houses. :D :D :D
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Tue Jul 10, 2007 2:25 pm

Jocelyn
Good to see you back. Sounds as if you were taking care of business.
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

FarmLadyWannaB
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby FarmLadyWannaB » Wed Jul 11, 2007 10:18 pm

Thanks, guys! All I can say is, the Cub is REALLY proving to be indispensable! What a work horse! SEAT TIME :!: :!: WHEEEE :D :D :D :!:

Jocelyn
1948 Farmall Cub ("Lil")

--------------------------

"All things bright and beautiful, all creatures great and small, all things wise and wonderful, the Lord God made them all."

FCUBMAN
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 2 Cubs
1 Simplicity
1 Craftsman
1 Farmall 130 with loader
1 Tiger

Postby FCUBMAN » Thu Jul 12, 2007 1:36 am

Just when I thought I had caught all of these #@$%&& mice (10 of 'em!), I got up this morning and headed for the bathroom, and what do I see in the toilet bowl? A dead mouse! Up on the second floor of the house!
Well, I figured that after finding that, my day could only get better :)
"Remember, I'm pulling for you - we're all in this together!"
Quoted from Red Green of Possum Lodge

When you get older, lack of pep is often mistaken for patience.

(1956 and 1948 Cubs)

FCUBMAN
10+ Years
10+ Years
1 Simplicity
1 Craftsman
1 Tiger

Postby FCUBMAN » Thu Jul 12, 2007 1:41 am

FarmLadyWannaB wrote:Thanks, guys! All I can say is, the Cub is REALLY proving to be indispensable! What a work horse! SEAT TIME :!: :!: WHEEEE :D :D :D :!:

Jocelyn

Hi Jocelyn,
Looks like we are neighbors, since we're in Granby, CT! We bought a small horse farm last year, and enjoy our version of country life immensely. I have a 1948 Cub coming here in a couple of weeks to join my '56. Watch out, they are addicting!
Brian

(1956 and 1948 Cubs)

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Thu Jul 12, 2007 11:10 am

Had friends with a hunting cabin, they kept a board from the floor to a large metal box. The mice would walk the ramp as it were. Every morning the box was emptied. Only took 3 or 4 days till everything was under control.
I had a real pesky one the we used a similar trick. We went shopping with a plank to the toilet in the basement, when we got home the mouse had failed swimming lessons, soit was flush time.
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

Buzzard Wing
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02840

Postby Buzzard Wing » Fri Aug 24, 2007 12:37 pm

I have smart ones in the city, always get the PB and never trip the trap. Someone told me to put a string with pb into the wedge in the front of the bait part. Film at 11.

Also, a friend has a truck camper like mine and they manage to get it that. Seriously good climbers I guess?
1971 Cub (Rufus) 1950 Cub (Cathy) 1965 Lo Boy Fast Hitch (Nameless III) 1970 Cub 1000 Loader & Fast Hitch (Lee)

FCUBMAN
10+ Years
10+ Years
1 Simplicity
1 Craftsman
1 Tiger

Postby FCUBMAN » Sat Aug 25, 2007 12:56 am

Buzzard Wing wrote:I have smart ones in the city, always get the PB and never trip the trap. Someone told me to put a string with pb into the wedge in the front of the bait part. Film at 11.

Also, a friend has a truck camper like mine and they manage to get it that. Seriously good climbers I guess?

If the PB/string doesn't work, try tying a whole peanut to the trap with a piece of thread (you drill a tiny hole in the peanut). Sounds crazy, but it worked for me! Sounds like the string idea would work, too. I'll be watching for your results, since that sounds easier than drilling a @#%^ hole in a peanut :)

(1956 and 1948 Cubs)

Phillip W. Lenke
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 43449

Postby Phillip W. Lenke » Mon Aug 27, 2007 8:07 am

Screech Owls are your answer. A few years ago , My freind I were checking our Wood duck nest boxes we have around 80 boxes . Other birds, squirrels will use them. Mainly screech owls. We had a spring flood that pushed all the mice to high point surrounded by water. When we checked this one box. we counted 57 mice cached for later, It was still Feb so it was still cold, they were like mouse sickles. We had never come across that before but , when we came back in April they were all gone and a nest full of youngins.
My.02
Phil
"Work Hard ,Play Often,Care Always"

PageRob
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 86040
Tractors Owned: 1948 Farmall Cub "Black Cat"
Mamod TE1A "Kayenta"

Postby PageRob » Mon Aug 27, 2007 9:37 am

We had a pretty big problem with mice/kangaroo rats at our work tent "Up Top" (on top of the Vermilion Cliffs http://www.google.com/maps?ie=UTF8&ll=3 ... &z=11&om=1 ). Then, everyone who went up there this year started bringing their dogs. They may not be small and agile like cats, but the place doesn't have very many hiding spaces, and dogs are hunters too. Haven't seen or heard one yet this year. Just a thought for those that may not like cats about, like my brother-in-law.
"The only thing we did was wrong was stay in the wilderness too long/the only thing we did was right was the day we started to fight."
-Old Spiritual

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac

Postby Bob McCarty » Mon Aug 27, 2007 1:10 pm

Our last dog was a mouser. The second day we had her, we took her outside to go potty, and she came back with what looked like a string hanging out of her mouth, it was a mouse. Over her lifetime, I bet I saw her catch 50 mice, and who knows how many more unseen. The vet wasn't too concerned, so neither were we. As far as the anticoagulants in d-Con, etc., the amount to kill a mouse is far too small to hurt a cat or dog, unless they got into the box (which is unlikely).

Bob

Return to “Farm Life and Better Half Forum”