This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

mice

Farming and rural life discussion forum. Cooking, hunting, gardening, fishing, critters, etc.
moparado
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby moparado » Sat Sep 22, 2007 10:54 am

When i first moved into my property years ago, i kept hearing noises in the garage attic every time i parked my car or opended the door. I finally realized the noise was from mice scurrying up there. Long story short, the garage attic must of been the Hilton of mouse hotels as i trapped more than 30 of them in a weeks time.

I tried peanut butter but the mice here seem to prefer processed cheese.

As far as those Victor plastic paddle traps, the kill ratio seems to be better than the old metal paddle types as they're more 'hair triggered'. But in my experience those plastic traps out of the box are hard to set unless the trip wire is tweeked. A real hassle. I went back to the metal type.

At first i had a lot of stolen bait with the Victor metal type traps. For a while i thought flies or other insects were eating the bait. So in addition to putting the cheese on the bait holder i also tried smearing a good amount of cheese under the bait holder thinking the mouse would spend more time at the trap getting at that delicious now stale cheese. Maybe this would increase the odds of this being the mouse's last meal. It worked somewhat as the stolen bait syndrome was drastically reduced. I now only buy the old Victor metal traps.

I bought one of those ultrasonic mouse repelers and put it in the garage. I haven't had a mouse problem there since.

For any mouse foolish enough to venture into the dog kennel they are instantly killed or made into a 'dog pet' depending on what dog gets to the mouse first. By chance i happened to see one of my female dogs play with a live mouse as if it were her pet or maybe she thought it was a puppy? Naah!
She'd gently pick it up being careful not to kill it, then place it down, gently paw it and repeat the whole thing over. After a good while, finally the mouse had enough and died probably from a heart attack.

By the way i'll never knowingly kill a snake, one of nature's best mouse traps.

Ken

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

KETCHAM
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44645
eBay ID: kevinb2366
Tractors Owned: 47 Cub 48 Cub 50 H

Postby KETCHAM » Sat Sep 22, 2007 1:00 pm

Got one at the new house last night in the basement.Kick him [surprised me]must have kicked him good,cause it did him in.Its gettin cool out ,guess he wanted a warm place for the winter.Paid the ultimate price in the process. :twisted: :twisted: Kevin
47 CUB[Krusty] 49 CUB[Ollie] 50 H-- PLOWS DISCS MOWERS AND lots more stuff!!Life is to short -Have fun now cause ya ain't gonna be here long!!!!

Lurker Carl
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 16685
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Lurker Carl » Sat Sep 22, 2007 2:49 pm

KETCHAM wrote:Got one at the new house last night in the basement.Kick him [surprised me]must have kicked him good,cause it did him in.Its gettin cool out ,guess he wanted a warm place for the winter.Paid the ultimate price in the process. :twisted: :twisted: Kevin

Don't dispair, Kevin. A dozen of his relatives will come to the funeral.
"Chance favors the prepared mind."
- Louis Pasteur

"In character, in manners, in style, in all things, the supreme excellence is simplicity."
- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

brichter
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 32449
eBay ID: Kinardhippy
Skype Name: Billy.Ray.Richter

better than a cat

Postby brichter » Tue Oct 16, 2007 12:22 pm

If you are having troubles, I could pick up a red rat snake and cub express him to you. Just stick him up in the attic and your mice and rat problems will soon be over.
If you're gonna dream or steal, do it BIG

The best things in life aren't things.
1951 Cub
1963 Corvair
lots more junk

KETCHAM
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby KETCHAM » Tue Oct 16, 2007 1:01 pm

No pets, though a snake might keep the women away also HMMMMM!!Kevin :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
47 CUB[Krusty] 49 CUB[Ollie] 50 H-- PLOWS DISCS MOWERS AND lots more stuff!!Life is to short -Have fun now cause ya ain't gonna be here long!!!!

Miss Farmall
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 30102
eBay ID: staasee
Tractors Owned: no Cub : (

Postby Miss Farmall » Tue Oct 16, 2007 10:59 pm

we had one, that I know of!!! anyway- he did come in looking for water, drought here- and chewed through the condensation hose that runs across the TOP of a downstairs closet and flooded it, replaced hose, cleaned up and all is fine. but you are right! summer mice, just weird!
:big what: not to mention i am terrified of those boogers!
Just call me coconut... Blonde on the inside!
I'd suggest you just stop talking and walk away lest I forget I was raised to be a lady.

FCUBMAN
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 2 Cubs
1 Simplicity
1 Craftsman
1 Farmall 130 with loader
1 Tiger

Postby FCUBMAN » Wed Oct 17, 2007 1:24 am

Seems our chickens got hold of a mouse in their coop, pecked it to death, and ate most of it before I got there. I've never heard of such a thing. I guess we have ........ KILLER CHICKENS!
What a way to go, pecked to death by chickens.
And, our barn cat hasn't caught any mice that I'm aware of, although the neighbor's cat comes over and catches one once in a while. Go figure!
"Remember, I'm pulling for you - we're all in this together!"
Quoted from Red Green of Possum Lodge

When you get older, lack of pep is often mistaken for patience.

(1956 and 1948 Cubs)

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Wed Oct 17, 2007 7:58 am

For about a year we owned an old house in the country that had started life as a log cabin and been added onto over the years. It had all kinds of little nooks and crannys in the walls and underneath for mice to hide and live in. My wife was always amazed there were no mice in it. I was too, till I discovered several snake skins in the back side of the attic. :applause: I never told my wife about them until after we moved away.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

moparado
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby moparado » Fri Oct 19, 2007 11:07 am

I was too, till I discovered several snake skins in the back side of the attic. I never told my wife about them until after we moved away.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Snakes and women... definitely don't go together like soup and sandwich! :? :? :? :P

That rodent repeller was so successful at keeping mice out of my garage, i decided to finally buy another one for the barn. Its the type that injects the noise into the electrical wiring. Up until then, i was trapping an average of one a day. Its been a couple weeks now and the traps are still waitin for their prey. We'll see!
-Ken
Don't let the sound of your own wheels drive you crazy
Lighten up while you still can don't even try to understand
Just find a place to make your stand and take it easy - The Eagles

FCUBMAN
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 2 Cubs
1 Simplicity
1 Craftsman
1 Farmall 130 with loader
1 Tiger

Postby FCUBMAN » Fri Oct 19, 2007 12:50 pm

John *.?-!.* cub owner wrote: I never told my wife about them until after we moved away.

Wise idea! :D
"Remember, I'm pulling for you - we're all in this together!"
Quoted from Red Green of Possum Lodge

When you get older, lack of pep is often mistaken for patience.

(1956 and 1948 Cubs)

Lurker Carl
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby Lurker Carl » Mon Oct 22, 2007 9:26 am

Make sure the torque tube on your Cub doesn't have any openings. Like a big chunk broken out of the casting or the inspection cover missing. Mice will move in quickly and love the transmission end of the torque tube. Their urine soaked nest will destroy the tranny seal.
- Louis Pasteur

"In character, in manners, in style, in all things, the supreme excellence is simplicity."

Peter Person
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 06076

Postby Peter Person » Mon Oct 22, 2007 11:58 am

You mean these Carl :shock:
1957 Farmall Cub "Emory", Fast-Hitch, L-F194 Plow & Colter, L-38 Disc Harrow, Cub-54A Blade, Cub-22 Sickle Bar Mower, IH 100 Blade

Circle of Safety

Lurker Carl
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby Lurker Carl » Mon Oct 22, 2007 12:27 pm

Yup, they are them!
- Louis Pasteur

KETCHAM
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby KETCHAM » Mon Oct 22, 2007 2:29 pm

Quiet they are sleeping!!!!Kevin

splicer
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby splicer » Mon Oct 22, 2007 8:55 pm

I had a pack rat running through my attic for a few days, early every morning, and set a live trap for him baited with dog food. (flying squirrels and pack rats love dog food) Got up the next morning to find the dog food gone and the trap not tripped. Counterweighted the trip mechanism to "hair trigger" and had him the next morning........this is when the fun began! I took him outside to let my twin Rat Terriers dogs have a look and they went ballistic!.......so did the rat! I took the pack rat to the middle of the yard and shook him out of the trap (with some difficulty) and the CHASE WAS ON! looked like a miniture version of "Wild Animal Kingdom" Needless to say the pack rat didn't make it to far......those Rat Terriers are true predators, and had a chew toy for the rest of the day. The flying squirrels I have to re-locate per the wifes instructions. The mice have been bad here too this year and the wooden victors are the best. Been teasing the wife about using the glue traps on the mice and beating their brains out with a tiny hammer.
'57 Lo-Boy # 5078
'75 ford 2000

If you think you can or you think you can't...your right
- Henry Ford

Return to “Farm Life and Better Half Forum”