This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Bread and butter pickles

Farming and rural life discussion forum. Cooking, hunting, gardening, fishing, critters, etc.
Billy Fussell
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 75959

Bread and butter pickles

Postby Billy Fussell » Wed Jul 04, 2007 4:22 pm

Back again. This is my wife's recipe for bread and butter pickles done the easy way.

4 quarts thin sliced medum pickleing type cucumbers
6 nice sized onions
2 bell peppers
3 cloves of garlic
1/3 cup coarse salt
5 cups of sugar
3 cups apple cider vinegar
1 1/2 teaspoons turmeric
1 1/2 teaspoons celery seed
2 tablespoons mustard seed

My wife uses a large stainless steel mixing bowel to mix the first ingredients. Slice cucumbers really thin. I like thin pickles so this is why we do it this way. Your call. Add onions, peppers, whole cloves, and salt. Mix well and cover with cracked ice. Let stand 3 hours, and drain well.

Remove what ice you can and pour the cucmbers, onions, peppers, etc. into a large enamel stock pot. Combine sugar, vinegar, turmeric, celery seed, and mustard seed, and pour over cucumber mixture. Bring mixture to a boil and seal in pint jars. Makes about 8 pints.

I failed to mention in the hot sauce recipe and in this one, when you seal up in jars, do it just like you were canning anything else.

Billy Fussell
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 75959

Bread and buter pickles

Postby Billy Fussell » Wed Jul 04, 2007 4:44 pm

My wife said that when the cubumber mixture came to a boil, cut the fire out and can. You do not have to cook the mixture.

Billy

pete1941
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby pete1941 » Wed Jul 04, 2007 6:34 pm

Billy, now that sounds really good. If we can make any cucumbers, we will certainly give it a try. Have made bread and butter before, but always looking for something a little different!

Return to “Farm Life and Better Half Forum”