This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Burdock

Farming and rural life discussion forum. Cooking, hunting, gardening, fishing, critters, etc.
Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Burdock

Postby Eugene » Tue Jul 10, 2007 5:38 pm

http://www.wildmanstevebrill.com/Plants ... rdock.html

Apparently burdock is consumable and used in medicine.

Spent a good portion of my youth trying to kill it off. Nobody ever thought of eating it.

Recipes included in the above site. Someone try portions of this plant. Report back on your experiences.

Eugene
I have an excuse. CRS.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Tue Jul 10, 2007 5:57 pm

You first, Eugene. :D
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Tue Jul 10, 2007 6:20 pm

I spend 13 months in the Orient. Probably ate some burdock.

There was a posting a while back where someone wanted to know how to kill burdock. My thought is - well my experience - that when ever I try to grow something, it doesn't.

Eugene
I have an excuse. CRS.

pete1941
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby pete1941 » Tue Jul 10, 2007 7:13 pm

Eugene, my Grand Dad used to make a tea from, he just called it dock, every spring to use as a blood cleanser. He has long since passed away, but I will try and see if some of the other old timers here remember the receipe.

canamscott
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby canamscott » Wed Jul 11, 2007 7:51 am

My favorite use for burdoc is medicinal. If you are out pulling weeds and yank a stinging nettle that you didn't see, normally it will sting for a day and a half. Doc usually grows nearby, but some of the doc sap on the sting and it will disappear immediately.

If you are a dandelion green fancier, try this. Fry up some scrambled eggs, mix in young chopped dandelion greens, mix in young chopped doc greens. If you don't have the doc to throw in, add a splash of vinegar. Some crumbled bacon also complements the dandelion well. Although you can use burdoc in this, I find that sourdoc or curly doc is better. I also know someone who fixes the young shoots like asparagus.

It's a pitty how many healthy "weeds" we try to destroy.

Scott

Return to “Farm Life and Better Half Forum”