This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Need a recipe for . . .

Farming and rural life discussion forum. Cooking, hunting, gardening, fishing, critters, etc.
Lurker Carl
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 16685
Circle of Safety: Y

Need a recipe for . . .

Postby Lurker Carl » Fri Aug 10, 2007 8:15 pm

cow's tongue. I haven't had tongue in years and I've been hankering for it lately. So, I bought a cow's tongue at Wal-Mart.

My poor wife is practically tossing her cookies every time she opens the fridge and sees that thing. Can't find Ma's recipe for it, she must have had it memorized since we had calf or pig tongues for dinner about once a week or so for years.

I've checked the internet, it seems tongue is a Mexican specialty but that's not the way Ma would have prepared it. Anyone got an American farm-style recipe?
"Chance favors the prepared mind."
- Louis Pasteur

"In character, in manners, in style, in all things, the supreme excellence is simplicity."
- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Fri Aug 10, 2007 8:50 pm

Carl:

I grew up on Tongue, Heart and a few of the other organ meats. I personally love the,.. mostly off of my diet now with my diabetes and heart problems, but Boy can I just taste it.

Mom used to boild the tongue for probably about an hour or two. Let it cool then skin it. After that she would cook it up in a cast iron skillet with onions, shalots, mushrooms and a brown sauce. Wow :!: Simply to die for taste wise. And of course the left overs made great sandwiches...

I did a Googled Beef Tongue Recipies and came up with these:

Spiced beef tongue

Yield: 9 Servings
3 ½ pounds Beef tongue
2 quart Water
6 Whole cloves
6 Whole black peppercorns
2 teaspoon Salt
4 each Bay leaves
¼ cup Vinegar

Combine all ingredients in slow-cooking pot. Cover and cook on low for 10 to 12 hours or until tender. Remove from pot; drain. Cool slightly; remove skin with sharp knife. Serve hot or cold. Slice thinkyl and serve plain, or with horseradish or mustard sauce. It makes delicious sandwiches when served cold.

Lengua (Beef Tongue)
INGREDIENTS
1 beef tongue
5 fresh green chile peppers
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 white onion, sliced thinly
4 cloves garlic, minced
4 small tomatoes, halved and sliced
2 (15 ounce) cans whole kernel corn, drained
salt to taste
DIRECTIONS
Wash tongue and place in a large pot of water to cover. Simmer until no longer pink, about 50 minutes per pound of tongue. Remove from water and let rest until cool enough to handle. Peel skin from tongue and trim gristle. Cut into 1/4 inch slices.
Place whole peppers in a skillet over medium-high heat and roast, turning, until all sides are charred. Let cool, rub off skins. Remove stems and seeds.
Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Saute chile peppers, onion and garlic until onion is translucent. Stir in tongue and continue to cook until tongue is brown, 5 to 10 minutes. Stir in tomatoes and cook until limp, 5 minutes. Pour in corn and heat through, 2 to 5 minutes. Season with salt. Serve immediately.

Beef Tongue

I had a college roommate who prepared beef tongue the way her Russian mother and grandmother prepared it before her. I never actually got her recipe, but I found this one out of an old cookbook years ago. This is the traditional method of preparing tongue. Sliced leftover tongue makes excellent sandwiches. I toast the bread and slather on grainy mustard and a little horseradish.
by Mary Leverington

6-8 servings 3½ hours 30 min prep
Change to: servings US Metric
3-4 lbs fresh beef tongues
water, to cover
3-4 teaspoons salt, 1 per pound of meat
1 medium onion, whole
3-4 cloves garlic, 1 per pound of meat
1 stalk celery, cut into chunks
6 peppercorns
4 whole cloves
1 1/2-2 teaspoons sugar, 1/2 per pound of meat
2-3 bay leaves
6-8 medium red potatoes, scrubbed,unpeeled
6-8 medium carrots, scrubbed,unpeeled
cabbage or parsnips or rutabagas or turnips or boiling onions (optional)
fresh horseradish

Let me know how you do it and how it tastes.. I love tongue :!: :!: :!:
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Lurker Carl
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby Lurker Carl » Fri Aug 10, 2007 9:16 pm

I'm gonna try recipe #1. Sounds closest to what I remember but it didn't cook that long, only for several hours. I'll report tomorrow!
- Louis Pasteur

"In character, in manners, in style, in all things, the supreme excellence is simplicity."

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger

Postby Rudi » Fri Aug 10, 2007 9:24 pm

Make it good, I is hungry :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Lurker Carl
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby Lurker Carl » Fri Aug 10, 2007 9:31 pm

I'll email y'all a serving. Poor Cathy isn't too keen on tongue. Better yet, come on down for some home cooking!
- Louis Pasteur

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac

Postby Bob McCarty » Fri Aug 10, 2007 10:52 pm

Carl, I also grew up on tongue and still love it. I can only cook it when Sue is on vacation. I do it in a pressure cooker. Put the tongue in and then fill 3/4 full with celery, carrots, onions, and halved potatoes, and a cup of water. A dozen peppercorns, a couple of Bay leaves, and salt either now or to taste after it is cooked. Pressure cook for one hour. Usually good for two meals for me.

Bob

Lurker Carl
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby Lurker Carl » Sat Aug 11, 2007 9:45 am

Thanks for the ideas, fellars! I'm happy to report it turned out great. It's a meager larder up here in the mountains, so here's what I used:

0ne cow tongue, a handful of those pre-peeled baby carrots, 1/2 Vidalia onion, peppercorns, ground cloves, chili powder, Mrs. Dash Garlic and Herb, Bay leaves and celery seed.

Put everything in the pot, covered with water and simmered it overnight, about 6 hours. I left it to cool in the pot on the stove before peeling the skin. I had to wait for Cathy to leave before proceeding any further. The anticipation was killing me!

My SIL came over and left with my lovely wife in tow. The skin peeled right off. Sliced off the tip. Being the youngest of the brood, I seldom got the tip. Now, I get the whole thing for myself!

Bob, your recipe sounds better than great! I love one pot meals. I didn't even think about pressure cooking. Our pressure cooker probably needs a new gasket since it hasn't been used for years, if we still have it. Hmmmm, I wonder if Cecil and Pris care if we sneak a tongue into NE Cubfest?
- Louis Pasteur

Paul B
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 40218

Postby Paul B » Sat Aug 11, 2007 11:26 am

Carl,
I just came from Wally World, and now you make me want to go back, it's been awhile since I fixed one. I do them like my mother did, just boil them and put what ever spices or seasoning you want in the water. I'm hungry, bye...........

grumpy
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 15522

Re: Need a recipe for . . .

Postby grumpy » Sat Aug 11, 2007 10:18 pm

Lurker Carl wrote:cow's tongue. I haven't had tongue in years and I've been hankering for it lately. So, I bought a cow's tongue at Wal-Mart.

My poor wife is practically tossing her cookies every time she opens the fridge and sees that thing. Can't find Ma's recipe for it, she must have had it memorized since we had calf or pig tongues for dinner about once a week or so for years.

I've checked the internet, it seems tongue is a Mexican specialty but that's not the way Ma would have prepared it. Anyone got an American farm-style recipe?

You need to fix it when your at Friendship Village as the wind is blowing south so I can smell it. Haven't had it in years. granny used to fix it and brains. SO GOOOOOd. :wink: Grump
David Dee Mock-Leonard

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

Some days it's not worth chewing through the restraints

Cub-Bud
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 38658
eBay ID: Cub-Bud
Tractors Owned: Four FCUBs, one IH Lo-Boy, one B Farmall, two Cadets, and a John Deere B.

Postby Cub-Bud » Sun Aug 12, 2007 6:48 am

And it has been said we Southerners will eat anything. :roll: :lol: :wink:
"Never forget where it is you come from, or you may find yourself someplace you don't want to be"

Greg Norman

John Niekamp
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 62301
eBay ID: jniekamp66

Postby John Niekamp » Wed Aug 22, 2007 6:11 pm

YUK, YUK and YUK again,

AND

I am 100 PERCENT with you Cathy on this, poor lady!

I guess this is why I don't like hot dogs and all that other nasty stuff that goes into them and hambugar isnt; much better!

I put organs in the same catarogy as chitlins and that makes me really Image

However, there are a lot of you people who do and I can't hold that against you. I guess I don't want to come over to a "surprice supper" at you place LOL!

John
Machinist
1954 Regular F-Cub "PRB" (Puckett's Rust Bucket)
1955 International Cub LoBoy "SQUATTY"
1954 3800 series Chevrolet flat bed grain truck "Ole Ben"
1975 Case 1737 skid-steer

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger

Postby Rudi » Wed Aug 22, 2007 6:56 pm

John:

You should have seen Em the first time I got her to eat Blutwurst...

She said, what is that?

I said, don't worry, it's good.. no it's great....

She took a bite of Blutwurst on Klosterbrot (Abbey Style Rye Bread).. said what is that?

I said.. Blutwurst..

I almost walked home -- 100kms.. needless to say I was in the doghouse for a few days... never did that again... :!:

Bill E Bob
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 74070

Postby Bill E Bob » Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:06 am

I've had tongue, but my favorite is head cheese. I have heard it called
Knapp(sp) Boy is it yummy with eggs for breakfast :{_}:

Bill

brichter
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 32449
eBay ID: Kinardhippy
Skype Name: Billy.Ray.Richter

Postby brichter » Sat Apr 19, 2008 8:26 pm

Rudi:

What in the world is blutworst?
If you're gonna dream or steal, do it BIG

The best things in life aren't things.
1951 Cub
1963 Corvair
lots more junk

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger

Postby Rudi » Sat Apr 19, 2008 8:44 pm

Billy Ray:

Blutwurst is Blood Sausage or Blood Pudding. You can find it in a coil or a ring usually in the beef section of the meat department. It is made from yeah.. you got it... beef blood. It is a key ingredient in a couple of neat meals I like. One is blutwurst mit kartofel und sauerkraut, the other is Irish Red Flannel Hash. Either way it is awesome. The only way I will get to have it is if my mom makes it for me or I cook it when Em is helping Mandy with the baby that is due...

Hmmmmm.. now there is an idea.

Oh and Bill:

I absolutely love headchease. There isn't a headcheese made that I don't like. I like the deli slices kind made with a lot of gelatine and parsley along with the other key ingredients. I like the pate's and I like the homemade style chunky variety that my Dad used to make when I was a kid. The people up on the south shore of Quebec have this specialty that is called Creton. It is headcheese.. and it is AWESOME :!:

Return to “Farm Life and Better Half Forum”