This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Can you freeze zucchini?

Farming and rural life discussion forum. Cooking, hunting, gardening, fishing, critters, etc.
Serious Tim
10+ Years
10+ Years

Can you freeze zucchini?

Postby Serious Tim » Thu Aug 30, 2007 6:10 am

We've got a whole bunch of zucchini (to make zucchini bread......mmmmm! ), but it's too hot out to be baking, and there's plenty enough to do around the house while the weather's good.

Can we shred the zucchini, and freeze it? Or is there a recommended way of doing it if at all possible?

Thanks! :D

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

pete1941
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby pete1941 » Thu Aug 30, 2007 6:41 am

Tim, you can slice the zuchnni and then blanch it in hot water for just a little while, enough to get it thoroughly hot, but not long enough to cook it, and then put your required amount into freezer bags and freeze. And, wallah, you will have instant zuchnni to use whenever the urge hits. Add a little salt, amount not critical, as it boils by the way. Pete

Billy Fussell
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 75959

freez zucchini

Postby Billy Fussell » Thu Aug 30, 2007 9:54 am

Tim,

After you blanch it, my wife will put the slices on a cookie sheet, not touching, and put it in the freezer. When the slices are frozen, she will put them in a freezer bag. Found out the hard way that if you put them in the bags while wet, you will have a "rock" to thaw out. Also if you put them in a big bag after freezing, you can take out what you want to cook, and put the rest back in the freezer.

Billy

pete1941
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby pete1941 » Thu Aug 30, 2007 11:07 am

Great idea, Billy, or Mrs. Billy, I didn't think of that part :!: . Pete

I wonder if you can still batter them in meal and fry them after she freezes them this way? I love them this way!

spiveyman
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 29644

Postby spiveyman » Thu Aug 30, 2007 11:21 am

Fried is good, but grilled is the way to go 8) . I wondercan you just can it? would that be any better?
Andrew Spivey

"What doesn't kill you makes you stronger." - Friedrich Nietzsche

'49 Cub.....(Mr. Cub)

Billy Fussell
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 75959

Freeze zucchini

Postby Billy Fussell » Fri Aug 31, 2007 8:44 am

Pete,

She has never tried pre-battering. I don't see why you can't. You can buy pre-battered frozen okra in stores. Ought to work for zucchini.

Billy

P.S. Anything I post about cooking or food prep. comes from my wife. All I do is eat it.

DuxburyFarmall
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby DuxburyFarmall » Fri Aug 31, 2007 10:02 am

My wife and I make small zip lock freezer bags with the correct quantity of chopped up zucchini that would make zucchini bread. Then we freeze it and make bread all winter long.

Chad
'51 Cub and a 60's Cub Lo-Boy

Serious Tim
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Serious Tim » Sun Sep 02, 2007 8:13 am

Do you do anything to the zucchini before you bag it, or just shred it?
1958 Farmall Cub, "Thirty Thirty", a part of the family :)

DuxburyFarmall
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby DuxburyFarmall » Wed Sep 05, 2007 10:45 am

We just shred it in a food processor.

Chad
'51 Cub and a 60's Cub Lo-Boy

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Circle of Safety: Y
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Re: Can you freeze zucchini?

Postby Rudi » Wed Sep 05, 2007 1:20 pm

Serious Tim wrote:We've got a whole bunch of zucchini (to make zucchini bread......mmmmm! ), but it's too hot out to be baking, and there's plenty enough to do around the house while the weather's good.

Can we shred the zucchini, and freeze it? Or is there a recommended way of doing it if at all possible?

Thanks! :D

Tim:

I agree with the others, but am getting in on this late.

Yes you can. Em and I routinely shred Zuchini, Carrots etc., and then freeze them in ZipLoc Freezer Bags. You can freeze them in the exact quantities that you need to make 1 loaf or a dozen. I remember the first year we grew Zuchini... we had so much.. we got tired of eating Fried Zuchini strips/medallions, Zuchini loaf and other stuff.

Oh, Em also uses shredded Zuchini in her Chili and her Spagetti Sauces.. really awesome.

Canning is not my idea of fun. We freeze our tomatoes whole, we freeze blueberries in the box.. strawberries whole, raspberries whole etc.... you would be suprised at how much you can freeze without having to do a lot of prep work. Our biggest job is cobbing boiled corn for winter... but we even have a corn cobber for that.. :!:
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

spiveyman
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 29644

Postby spiveyman » Wed Sep 05, 2007 3:03 pm

Zucchinni in spaghetti is awesome 8) . No cannings not too fun, but then again no freezer burn, nor do you have to thaw it..... personal pref. I suppose!
Andrew Spivey

"What doesn't kill you makes you stronger." - Friedrich Nietzsche

'49 Cub.....(Mr. Cub)

Return to “Farm Life and Better Half Forum”