This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Car vs. Deer

Farming and rural life discussion forum. Cooking, hunting, gardening, fishing, critters, etc.
moparado
10+ Years
10+ Years

Car vs. Deer

Postby moparado » Wed Oct 31, 2007 8:49 pm

Yesterday evening it almost happened again! Adrenaline time! It would of been my 3rd deer collision in two years. The first two were relatively light but still required body work.
By the way, for the first deer collision i took my Jeep to a regular body shop to fix the deer ding. $1500 and they'd have to keep the vehicle for at least a week!
The time period was OK as i have my pickup to get around, but the $1500? I checked out one of those paintless dent repair places. $90 and they repaired it while i waited! Took about an hour and good as new! It takes a lot to amaze me and i was amazed.

Getting back to the deers, does anyone have any tips or secrets for avoiding these deer collisions other than the DNR declaring deer season all year long? Tried the deer whistle, horns don't work and headlights just seem to confuse them dumb #%&*!@ animals. My county is over run by em!
Don't laugh, but the only thing i found that works just about all the time to get a deer frozen in the headlights movin is to open the window and howl like a coyote! They skeedaddle real quick! :lol: :roll:
-Ken
Don't let the sound of your own wheels drive you crazy
Lighten up while you still can don't even try to understand
Just find a place to make your stand and take it easy - The Eagles

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Trent M
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 62859
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Trent M » Wed Oct 31, 2007 9:38 pm

If I see a deer, I'll slow down and keep track of it out if the corner of my eye while I watch for the deer FOLLOWING it. I think alot of people hit deer because they are looking at another one. Just always keep an eye out, especially this time of year. Of course sometimes they just jump out in front of you and there's nothing you can do about it. Another issue is population control. People generally don't want to shoot the does no matter how long the season is, everyone thinks they have to kill a buck, no matter how small it is. Shooting does is the only way to curb the population.
Trent McPeak

brown5490
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 34471

Postby brown5490 » Wed Oct 31, 2007 9:52 pm

2(almost 3) in 2 years :shock: . Sounds like you do have a deer problem. Guess it is time to get the gun... :) Get the freezer ready :lol:
David Brown-- '74, '52(Dad's), '53 Cub, Henderson loader, Int. 1000 loader

moparado
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby moparado » Wed Oct 31, 2007 10:27 pm

The first one was on a foggy night and the dang thing darted out from some bushes on the side of the road right into my Jeep's quarter panel. The second one just about the same thing, it darted out into the road from nowhere also hitting the rear of the vehicle.
If i liked venisson, yep i'd hunt em! Got plenty of hardware, BP and roundballs to do it too.
Besides being a road nuisance, they spread ticks. During the Spring my dogs get loaded with ticks after their daily run & sniff in the woods.

As i said their is a definite over population of deer in my county. The game preserves and sanctuaries in my area are probably part of the problem. A while back i counted a herd of 23 of em grazing along the side of the road about a few hundred yards from my property! Had to wait for em all to cross the road like waitin for a train! :twisted:
-Ken

Lance Leitzel
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 45011
Tractors Owned: 1960 Loboy
1974 154 Loboy
1968 72 Cub Cadet

Postby Lance Leitzel » Thu Nov 01, 2007 7:25 am

Hi Ken - First of all, sorry to hear about your experiences with the deer. I live in an "urban hunting zone" here in Ohio, where there are way more deer than hunters. Would you consider hunting the deer and then donating the venison to some needy family? Yeah, you still get messy, but for some reason, I find the field dressing to go a little easier on the ones I plan on giving away.
Ego diligo meus tracti.
(I love my tractors)

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Thu Nov 01, 2007 8:38 am

MY SIL is a teacher in central Ar. where deer season is a holiday. During lunch break a few years ago some of them were discussing hunting and the guns they used. One said " I got one last week using my .270 Remington." Another said "I got one using my 30-06 Winchester." Lana said " I got one yesterday too." "What did you use?" asked a teacher. "350 Chevy" was her reply.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

KETCHAM
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44645
eBay ID: kevinb2366
Tractors Owned: 47 Cub 48 Cub 50 H

Postby KETCHAM » Thu Nov 01, 2007 8:47 am

Riding a motorcycle is real crazy this time of year.Being fall you have to watch out even more.I hope to get 2 this fall.Deer chili sounds real good right now.Kevin
47 CUB[Krusty] 49 CUB[Ollie] 50 H-- PLOWS DISCS MOWERS AND lots more stuff!!Life is to short -Have fun now cause ya ain't gonna be here long!!!!

TJ
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 72455

Postby TJ » Thu Nov 01, 2007 9:10 pm

A few years ago shortly after buying a new truck I was on the boat for a month. I told my wife to drive it while I was gone ,but she didn't want to she drove her car for 29 days out of 30 I was gone. The day I was coming home she called me told me she went to my dads house (3 miles from home) then reminded me how I wanted her to drive the truck. She hit not 1 but 2 deer.It took out the grill and headlights. ($600) :shock: I don't ask her to drive it anymore. :roll:
1972int.cub , c-3 int mower , 54a blade
1950 M farmall "under construction"

If a word is misspelled in the dictionary who would know? from uncle johns bathroom reader

Bill Hudson
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 44057
Tractors Owned: 57 F-Cub - Dad & Mom's Cub
77 F-Cub - Red Long Stripe

Postby Bill Hudson » Fri Nov 02, 2007 6:01 am

KETCHAM wrote:Riding a motorcycle is real crazy this time of year.Being fall you have to watch out even more.I hope to get 2 this fall.Deer chili sounds real good right now.Kevin

Kevin,

You planning to use the bike or something less thrilling to bag your deer?

Bill
Bill

"The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop." Edwin Conklin, biologist

Member of Ohio Chapter #6

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Fri Nov 02, 2007 6:56 am

Bill (TAMU '78) wrote:
KETCHAM wrote:Riding a motorcycle is real crazy this time of year.Being fall you have to watch out even more.I hope to get 2 this fall.Deer chili sounds real good right now.Kevin

Kevin,

You planning to use the bike or something less thrilling to bag your deer?

Bill
When on a motorcycle you bag deer with your head, or more likely they bag you. In my area, a lot of the roads have trees growing close to the sides, and when I rode in the fall I didn't worry near as much about deer as I did leaves on the road. WHEEEE!, WHAT A RIDE. Almost as bad as the day I came around a curve and the state had road oil spread shoulder to shoulder. Like riding in grease. I made it through ok, but the bike wasn't the only thing that need cleaned.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

KETCHAM
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44645
eBay ID: kevinb2366
Tractors Owned: 47 Cub 48 Cub 50 H

Postby KETCHAM » Fri Nov 02, 2007 9:03 am

Now thats funny!!!!WHEEEEEE!!!!Been there done that,glad I'm around to talk about it!!!Crossbow and black powder are weapons that I use.Still need to get the tree stand up in the back yard.Saw 4 does in the field next to me.Kevin
47 CUB[Krusty] 49 CUB[Ollie] 50 H-- PLOWS DISCS MOWERS AND lots more stuff!!Life is to short -Have fun now cause ya ain't gonna be here long!!!!

moparado
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby moparado » Fri Nov 02, 2007 10:42 am

Back in my Harley days, i was more concerned with 4-wheeled dears than 4-legged deers! :)

A loud exhaust system does have its advantages!........ :big crazy:

-Ken

Hengy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 15101
eBay ID: lacrosseorgans
Skype Name: Mike.Hengelsberg
Tractors Owned: 1949 Cub "Merlin"
1955 Cub "Lewis"
Cub Trailer
A-60 Blade
Cub-22 Mower
193 Plow

Postby Hengy » Fri Nov 02, 2007 12:26 pm

Just had a fellow from our office who had a Bike-Deer accident. Riding one of those crotch rockets and he wasn't wearing a helmet, and that would have helped prevent a LOT of his injuries. As it is, he is very luck to be here to talk about it. He has not gotten a new bike yet!

Mike
Mike (Happy as a Lark in Allison Park, PA)
Image Image

Check out my Restoration Thread (1955 Cub, Lewis)

splicer
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby splicer » Sun Nov 04, 2007 9:24 pm

Good to hear there are black powder hunters out there.......ME TOO! Love the smoke poles! I shoot traditionals only. I have a Thompson mountain rifle and a CVA St. Louis hawkin, both in 54's.
'57 Lo-Boy # 5078
'75 ford 2000

If you think you can or you think you can't...your right
- Henry Ford

moparado
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby moparado » Sun Nov 04, 2007 10:01 pm

splicer,
54's rule! I've got three of em, two side lock percussions and one in flintlock.
Also got a Hawkin style and an 1853 Civil War era 3-band Enfield in 58 cal.

The Enfield with its bayonet fixed is one intimidating smoke pole. Can't imagine being on the receiving end of a charging Civil War regiment!

Return to “Farm Life and Better Half Forum”