This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Car vs. Deer

Farming and rural life discussion forum. Cooking, hunting, gardening, fishing, critters, etc.
Ron Luebke
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 30145
eBay ID: 9716ron

Postby Ron Luebke » Sat Nov 10, 2007 3:37 pm

I HUNT WITH A ST.LOUIS HAWKIN AS WELL. :!: i love the smell of gun powder on a cold morning :wink:
TED NUGENT FOR PRESIDENT !!!

' its just plain ole Ron '

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

KETCHAM
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44645
eBay ID: kevinb2366
Tractors Owned: 47 Cub 48 Cub 50 H

Postby KETCHAM » Mon Nov 12, 2007 3:39 pm

My scout is a 54.Nice bang to it.Hope to hunt moose some day with it.Deer running all over.Had a small 8 point running next to the road while I was on the bike.My rattle trap[bike] scared him into the woods. :D :D Kevin
47 CUB[Krusty] 49 CUB[Ollie] 50 H-- PLOWS DISCS MOWERS AND lots more stuff!!Life is to short -Have fun now cause ya ain't gonna be here long!!!!

Redman
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Re: Car vs. Deer

Postby Redman » Tue Nov 13, 2007 7:55 pm

:?: :?:
Last edited by Redman on Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

moparado
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby moparado » Wed Nov 14, 2007 10:53 am

Redman,
OH NO!! :shock:
That coyote howl which works just about everytime to move a frozen deer was my ticket to financial independance. Now i see someone beat me to it! :weaping:
Get rid of the horn on your vehicle and replace it with one of these...
a Preymaster Digital Caller.
Then buy the coyote sound card.

I forgot to mention one other thing i've done is to aim the add-on fog lights on my Jeep to illuminate the far sides of the road. About 50 to 100 yards on either side of the road is illuminated depending on brush, etc.

I tied the fog light relay into my Jeep's high beam circuitry with a ON-OFF-ON switch.
When the switch is set to ON #1, the fog lights come on automatically when the Jeep's high beams are turned on.
When the switch is set in the center OFF position, the fog lamps are unconditionally disabled.
When the switch is set to the other ON #2 position, the fog lamps are turned on unconditionally.

I've spotted many a deer off to the side of the road just waitin for the right time and trajectory to ram my car!
Works for me. :)
Well at least most of the time! :censored: deers! :evil:
-Ken
Don't let the sound of your own wheels drive you crazy
Lighten up while you still can don't even try to understand
Just find a place to make your stand and take it easy - The Eagles

Ron L
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 18603
Tractors Owned: 1948 Cub
1955 Cub

Postby Ron L » Wed Nov 14, 2007 1:32 pm

Here's a young one that decided to check out the smell of sweet corn I was blanching and bagging for the freezer, on my deck a few years back. By the looks of him, he was hungry :)

Ron

Ken (48 Cub)
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 40023
Tractors Owned: 1948 FCub
1957 LoBoy
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Ken (48 Cub) » Wed Nov 14, 2007 3:53 pm

One was hit two days ago just up the street from work (industrial park). He is still laying there on the grass next to the street but someone added a cardboard cross with "Here lies Buck" written on it. :lol: I love it when nature and yuppies clash.
Ken, Annie the '48.

I think we gotter if'n she don't jump, Andy Griffith.

KETCHAM
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44645
eBay ID: kevinb2366
Tractors Owned: 47 Cub 48 Cub 50 H

Postby KETCHAM » Thu Nov 15, 2007 7:17 am

Ron ,nice deer, you should have fed him and invited him back in a couple of months :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: Kevin
47 CUB[Krusty] 49 CUB[Ollie] 50 H-- PLOWS DISCS MOWERS AND lots more stuff!!Life is to short -Have fun now cause ya ain't gonna be here long!!!!

Ron L
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 18603
Tractors Owned: 1948 Cub
1955 Cub

Postby Ron L » Thu Nov 15, 2007 9:43 am

:) ...... Actually, I wanted his father. No luck. I ended up with his older brother that year :D
Ron

Corky's Cub
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 30607
Tractors Owned: Just One:
1957 Farmall Cub
"Corky"s Cub"

Postby Corky's Cub » Mon Dec 03, 2007 11:08 am

We've hit four in three years since escaping to the country.

Two for my son, one for my daughter, and one for my wife (just last week).

And Trent nailed it: Never seems to be the first deer you see, but the one following it.

Three of our four collisions were routine, but I have to tell the story of the fourth. Two years ago when my daughter was about to graduate from college, (she's a middle school music teacher now), I went with her to a Toyota dealer in Atlanta to help her negotiate for a new Highlander.

We got there thirty minutes before closing, but kept the sales guy and his boss there til almost 11pm, when the deal was finally done. I followed her home in my car, and about 5 miles from the house, I notice two of the biggest bucks ever, grazing just outside the guardrail up ahead.

Well, I guess her headlights spooked them. In an instant, BOTH bucks jumped the guardrail in front of her; with one taking out her front grill, bumper, hood, and right front fender. The second one slammed her right fender, and both right doors!

She was devastated that her brand new car (less than 100 miles), sustained so much damage...more than $5,000...but she was fine.

It's a real problem around here, but that was one for the books!

Corky
I found this old Cub, Forgotten and Forlorn,
With pistons and valves frozen and worn.
Help from my buddies on Farmallcub.com,
And an engine from Ralph, (37’s the one),
Now ole Corky is running and back to life,
Much to the surprise of my dear, dear wife!

SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61722

Postby SONNY » Mon Dec 03, 2007 4:42 pm

Corky!! that IS so funny!!!---well not for her, BUT the way it went down!!--and yes deer problem here in Il. is at an all time #1 hazard year around so I understand what you are saying!
A couple were killed right here by our garden on I-74 a few years ago when the hit a big deer in the passing lane.
later a 20some point buck took out a Kenworth at the same place! Driver said the deer came onto the road, stood up on it's hind legs put head down in attack position and all he could do was hang on and pray!!--took out all the front of the truck, had to be towed! thanks; sonny

paw's49
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby paw's49 » Mon Apr 21, 2008 3:37 pm

My city-slicker inlaws had not been gone from our house 5 minutes one night and the phone rang. They were all excited, saying, "We just passed a deer!!!" Wife relayed the message to me while still on the phone with them. I told her to tell them, that's ok - as long as the solid yellow line was not in your lane, it's perfectly legal.
1949 Cub 81987.
I can take it apart....problem is getting it back together.

moparado
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby moparado » Wed Apr 23, 2008 8:59 pm

paw's49 wrote:My city-slicker inlaws had not been gone from our house 5 minutes one night and the phone rang. They were all excited, saying, "We just passed a deer!!!"

Your're lucky they didn't hit the deer and totalled their car as you woulda had overnight house geusts! :|

The deer population here this Spring is worse than ever! Deer everywhere! Even my dogs don't seem to keep em off my property anymore! Thinkin on calling the County Supervisor about extending deer season all year round! :D

Knock on wood, so far a couple close calls but no more 'notches' on my Jeep door! :D
-Ken
Don't let the sound of your own wheels drive you crazy

Lighten up while you still can don't even try to understand

Just find a place to make your stand and take it easy - The Eagles

rickguns
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 62301
Tractors Owned: 1952 Cub "Baby Cub"
Ford 3000
Kubota MX 5100

Postby rickguns » Fri Jan 30, 2009 3:19 pm

Slow way down, turn off headlights and lay on the horn

Ronny Bailey
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 77802
eBay ID: ronnyb.east.texas
Tractors Owned: 1938 Farmall F-20
Grandpa's '49 Cub #82289
194x Gibson Model D
1953 Allis Chalmers CA

Postby Ronny Bailey » Sun Feb 01, 2009 6:54 am

A couple of years ago I was riding a bike on a small rural road.
Came around a curve kind of slow and a deer was standing in the ditch.
Must have spooked him because he decided to cross the road just in front of me.
Would have hit him head on except he couldn't get traction on the pavement.
When I passed in front of him, we were so close I could have reached out and touched his nose.
I'll remember the sound of the hooves scraping the pavement for a long time...
Ronny
“If it ain’t broke, I haven’t 'fixed' it yet”

rickguns
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 62301
Tractors Owned: 1952 Cub "Baby Cub"
Ford 3000
Kubota MX 5100

Postby rickguns » Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:59 am

I always get extra carefull anytime I get around bridges with water nearby for them to be drinking from

Return to “Farm Life and Better Half Forum”