Goose Question

Tue Apr 08, 2008 8:27 pm

I have a pair of Buff geese. I thought I would see the goose laying now, but no eggs. My guinea hens are laying and my brother's pond ducks are laying. Is this time of year too early for domestice geese to start laying :?:

Re: Goose Question

Wed Apr 09, 2008 6:55 am

they should start anytime. sometimes they won't start until may, also do they have a place to nest.

Wed Apr 09, 2008 4:58 pm

The hen will have a place to nest after today. I am going to take a front tractor tire and stuff it full of hay and place it in the corner of the pen. And, now that the threat of a hard freeze has passed, I am going to fill their kiddy pool full of water and place it in the pen with them. I was told this would "stimulate" the gander. :wink:

Thu Apr 10, 2008 8:43 pm

I grew up among geese! (Mom always had a bunch of them)---it is getting close to time that they should start laying if they are going to! -----Mom had some that never did lay, so it is hard to say an exact date but between now and the end of May would be normal! thanks; sonny

Sun Apr 13, 2008 7:30 am

Cub-Bud wrote:I have a pair of Buff geese. I thought I would see the goose laying now, but no eggs. My guinea hens are laying and my brother's pond ducks are laying. Is this time of year too early for domestice geese to start laying :?:

Bud, granny use to have guineas man they can really make a fuss. She didnt need a dog cause they would let you no if someone came up. best I can remember there eggs were rich and funny colored
David