This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

What's YOUR least favorite VARMINT?

Farming and rural life discussion forum. Cooking, hunting, gardening, fishing, critters, etc.
bob in CT
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 06040
Tractors Owned: 77 Cub (red); 74 Cub; 52 Cub; 50 Cub ( post-demo)
Circle of Safety: Y

What's YOUR least favorite VARMINT?

Postby bob in CT » Fri Aug 01, 2008 1:35 am

My vote today is the whitetail deer. Early in the season they chomped down my pumpkins and squash to nubs. When I got back from Japan Saturday night I ran out with a flashlight to find all my sunflowers were gone. About 1/3 acre. Weeds were there, of course. :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: I guess I'll stagger my cultivating over by a 1/2 row and keep the weeds down and plant a rye cover crop. I need an electric fence. Can't do anything but bow hunt in this town and the deer pour into the yard like a jailbreak after my cousin gets down from the stand and packs up. :roll:

Woodchucks take a close second- they nailed my cabbage, cauliflower and broccoli. 100% loss. dug under the fence into the garden, but at least I can control that by burying some of the fence wire. When I get the time, that is. Makes it difficult to get the tractor in there if I need to spread compost so I will probably bury a short piece and hook my above ground section to that so I can still roll it back to drive in when I need to. I read that it is good to bend it away from the garden for 6 inches or so about 6-8 inches down, that way they hit the corner if they try to dig under the buried section.

And of course the bird love the blueberries. I have not been able to justify 100 feet of cage. I still have 15 gallons of berries in the freezer from last year's bumper crop so I guess I have enough to share.

At least they did not get into the corn. One of the farms nearby just stopped growing sweet corn (he is retired) and converted the fields to hay after raccoons came in and destroyed the entire field in a couple of nights. My mother told me a local farmer was on the news and his cornfield was raided by birds. He can't sell a single ear as they were all damaged. She said he was in tears.

here is a picture of my very first corn crop. I planted 3 kinds to stagger the picking but I can see i will be overwhelmed with corn soon. I think some of the corn has grown a foot since this was taken Monday. Silver Queen is a good 7 feet tall at the end of these rows. What an awesome plant.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

delawhere
10+ Years
10+ Years

Re: What's YOUR least favorite VARMINT?

Postby delawhere » Fri Aug 01, 2008 3:47 am

Without any doubt. It has to be the mole. I live in Delaware and I will guarentee you that every mole in this state lives on my property. Some years they take over my flower beds, garden and lawn. I have tried everything from horse hair to chewing gum and so many different chemicals that the list is a mile long. The only good weapon i got is my beagle. She has got 4 so far this year. It is something to see her wait and wait around a tunnel and then jump and start digging. They must either feel the movement in their feet or hear them. Either way, she don't do bad. Then all I got to do is fill up the deep hole she leaves.

Joe Malinowski
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 01035
eBay ID: jayrod01035
Tractors Owned: 1975 F cub, 1965 F cub, 1949 parts cub,1953 F cub 1942 JD LA, 1988 JD 330 diesel

Postby Joe Malinowski » Fri Aug 01, 2008 5:08 am

Wow Bob nice corn hope the Racoons don't find it. My least favorite is definately the woodchuck, they are all over up here and the coy dogs have not wiped them out. Luckily they make for good target practice but I also have a assortment of box traps. The deer don't bother my garden I think it may be the dogs. I do know there are some repellents that I have heard work well.
Joe
22 mower 5', grader blade, 189 two way moldboard plow, cultivators ,danco C2 mower,1961 Comet, 1984 BMW 318i

Part of life is falling down, living is getting back up.

Virginia Mike
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 24095
Tractors Owned: '49 Cub
'49 JD "B"
'79 JD 2040
'50 DB "Garden Tractor"
'52 DB "Super Power"
'56 DB "Big 5"
'62 DB "Super 600"
'37 McCormick Deering "LA" engine

Postby Virginia Mike » Fri Aug 01, 2008 5:59 am

Deer #1, Racoons a close second.
Best,
Mike
Tractors are made to work!
"A Cub will do as much as a team of horses,.. More in hot weather!" - C. W. Spradlin 1909-1994

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Fri Aug 01, 2008 6:30 am

Bob,

Definitely deer. Liquid Fence works very well for small areas, but would not be practical or affordable to use on the scale you need it. My suggestion would be electric fence. Here's a resource. http://www.kencove.com
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Postby Barnyard » Fri Aug 01, 2008 12:40 pm

Anything that gets in the garden is my least favorite. We have several hundred acres of county park land that abuts our property and everything imaginable lives there. When we bought our house four years ago BOB was infested with coons. Every night you could see numerous deer near the fence. The four foot chain link naturally was nothing to them. Two years ago we added the two Border Collies to the barnyard. Haven't seen a coon or deer since, Well except for the one deer that broke it's neck when it hit the fence while it was running from the dogs. The garden only gets invaded by insects now and I think Flash even chases those.
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac

Postby Bob McCarty » Fri Aug 01, 2008 1:29 pm

PRAIRIE DOGS!!! Even though I might consider myself somewhat of a tree hugger, I can't stand prairie dogs.

Bob
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

ellen
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby ellen » Fri Aug 01, 2008 8:35 pm

This may not qualify as a rodent but it is a pest to me. Fire Ants. I hate them. You can't do anything in the yard w/o being bit, and boy do they hurt. Washed my car last week and had a dozen bites on my feet.

Bill E Bob
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 74070

Postby Bill E Bob » Fri Aug 01, 2008 10:19 pm

Armadillos #1 Crayfish #2 Armadillos root up the lawn as bad as a hog, and the :censored: crayfish contribute
to soil erosion and leave holes all over the yard :shock:

ScottyD'sdad
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02769
Tractors Owned: 6"F" cubs
5 lo-boys
1 154
1 184
1 IH444
1 Oliver OC3 crawler
1 AC D10
1 IH 100 manure spreader
1 IH model B corn grinder
3 power units
cub demonstrator

Postby ScottyD'sdad » Sat Aug 02, 2008 8:16 am

Woodchucks get my vote. Nobody is even close to them, for my #2 vote. Ed
Member of Chapter 18, and National
Circle of Safety

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Sat Aug 02, 2008 9:39 am

Evidently none of you guys have had beavers to do a number on your stuff. Yes coons and deer can be bad but beavers will drive you to distraction. Since I found the president of the NY Trappers Assn. is a neighbor the problem has been cured with out breaking a law. I try to be law abiding but beavers could change my view.
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

H. L. Chauvin
Team Cub
Team Cub

Postby H. L. Chauvin » Sat Aug 02, 2008 11:58 am

HI,

Politicians -- they rob all working people's hard eared dollars with taxes so they can give freebees to buy votes from the non-working people.

Mosquitoes, close second, very similar, suck our blood to go out & make more blood sucking mosquitoes.

H. L. Chauvin

Jim Roy
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Jim Roy » Sat Aug 02, 2008 1:55 pm

H. L. Chauvin wrote:HI,

Politicians -- they rob all working people's hard eared dollars with taxes so they can give freebees to buy votes from the non-working people.

Mosquitoes, close second, very similar, suck our blood to go out & make more blood sucking mosquitoes.

H. L. Chauvin

:bellylaugh: :bellylaugh: :bellylaugh:
My wife has a long honey do list, I read it, thank about it, than take a nap to see if it goes away.
49 Cub

Dennis
Site Admin
Zip Code: 64075
Tractors Owned: 1947 Farmall Cub
104 Cub Cadet
Cub Cadet Original

Postby Dennis » Sat Aug 02, 2008 4:26 pm

Not a varmint, but a current nuisance are mud dauber's. They get in just about every little spot they can find on my equipment. I knock them down, and they just build in another place that is always a surprise...

Festus
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 42355
Tractors Owned: 1953 Cub
1953 Super C
1953 Super H
1953 Super M
1956 100
1964 140
1972 JD 4020

Postby Festus » Sat Aug 02, 2008 4:54 pm

Moles first, coyotes second, mice third. Because the coyotes love to eat cats, I have a hard time keeping cats at the barn to keep the mice down.

Festus
"When you read the readin', how do you know the feller who wrote the readin, wrote the readin' right?" - Festus from Gunsmoke

Return to “Farm Life and Better Half Forum”