This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Chinese Radish

Farming and rural life discussion forum. Cooking, hunting, gardening, fishing, critters, etc.
Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Circle of Safety: Y
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Chinese Radish

Postby Rudi » Sat Aug 02, 2008 4:33 pm

This year which is the first year since my open heart surgery we have had a garden. Ellie and the Putt-Putt have been earning their keep. It ain't a perfect garden...., but it is getting there. We have tried a few new crops this year as well as our standard (4-5 varieties of spuds, super sweet corn, pole and bush beans, turnips, leeks, onions, peas, carrots, beets, radish, spinach, lettuce, peppers, zucchini, squashes (2 or 3 varieties) plus of course the giant pumpkins, tomatoes (this year Italian Bulls Hearts plus cherries and Roma's), we also added some Bok Choi and some Chinese Radish.

Well now. we have tried the Chinese radish twice so far... the other day I julienned some for my salad.. wow! hot just like a cross between a regular radish and horseradish almost.. :!: :D Simply great. Added just the right kind of spice to my rather tart and tangy choices in lettuce varieties.. I like the Mesclun mix a lot with spinach and beet greens :big smile:

Tonight for dinner, Em made a traditional Acadian Bouille or boiled dinner. Chicken, potato's, turnips being the primary dish served along with steamed beet greens, beets, fresh cooked jellied peas and carrots (not my favourite but everyone else loves em), and she stir fried sliced Chinese radish and zucchini.

WELL !!! Let me tell you.. boy oh boy oh boy was that some good.... WOW! When it comes to beet greens, I will eat the whole bowl by myself.. and most of the turnips and such. And, normally I have a large portion of chicken or pork which ever is being served along with me veggies and taters. Well tonight, I only had like a half of a drumstick.. and two humongous plates of veggies. Wow!.. my mouth is still in heaven.. here. Those beet greens were a perfect compliment to the Chinese radish and zucchini. Even Em who is not a fan of radish said this was awesome and Duane said Mom, this be a KEEPER :idea: :!:

So ifn you gets a chance.. try some Chinese Radish. it is greaaaat!
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61722

Re: Chinese Radish

Postby SONNY » Tue Aug 05, 2008 8:46 pm

I never did try the Chinese Radish, but was tempted to plant a few just to see what they were!!---Glad you had a good year from your garden!----So far ours has been quite productive with most crops,--a couple came up a little short but still gave enough to do for the winter along with everything else!! thanks; sonny

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Circle of Safety: Y
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Tue Aug 05, 2008 9:04 pm

Sonny:

Try them, it is worth it. There are tons of recipies for them on-line. Good for the heart too and for keeping our cholesterol down. I like that.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61722

Postby SONNY » Tue Aug 05, 2008 9:56 pm

We try to add or try different crops each year to see what will grow here and what kind of results we have with it!!---I have :stumbled" onto some really good stuff by just trying different things!! thanks; sonny

smigelski
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 08070
Tractors Owned: JD 4040
JD 301A
Ford 3910
Oliver 770
FCub 1947
Fcub 1952
Farmall 100

Postby smigelski » Thu Aug 21, 2008 8:33 am

I grow chinese radishes for a Korean man. He takes them to oriental markets in philadelphia. the neat thing with them is, as soon as you harvest. You can replant they actually grow better in the spring and fall, then summer. I use to get to get $10 a half bushel box, now it is down to $3. To many people growing them. They also use the greens in soup and salads.

Return to “Farm Life and Better Half Forum”