This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Asparagus

Farming and rural life discussion forum. Cooking, hunting, gardening, fishing, critters, etc.
Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Circle of Safety: Y
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Asparagus

Postby Rudi » Sat Aug 02, 2008 4:38 pm

How come I can't grow :censored: asparagus. :?: :?: This year the same one came up again, but all the seeds and roots we planted in the fall... nada, zilch, zippo, notaone.. zero... no asparagus.

I keep getting told you cannot kill asparagus and even an idjit can grow it.. so what is up with me here.. :big give up: :help: I need some sure fire explicit directions on growing asparagus. :lost: And can I retry now with say 90-100 days left before the first major frost? And do I have to mulch the asparagus patch so it don't freeze??

I used to dislike asparagus, but that was before I tried it young and raw... boy, do I like it -- :||): a lot. And you can't get it young, no one sells it even at the farmers market.. they all like it big and soft and I don't... So I gotta grow it ifn I want it.. and boy do I want it..
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Joe Malinowski
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 01035
eBay ID: jayrod01035
Tractors Owned: 1975 F cub, 1965 F cub, 1949 parts cub,1953 F cub 1942 JD LA, 1988 JD 330 diesel

Re: Asparagus

Postby Joe Malinowski » Sat Aug 02, 2008 5:41 pm

http://www.noursefarms.com/HomeGardeners/PlantingGuide/
Hi Rudi this a planting guide for a local nursery. My parents raised about ten acres when I was a kid I would not touch it, now I cannot get enough. Hadley Ma where I live has been called the asparagus capital of the U.S., and was served at the Whitehouse this season. I hope to put a bed in next spring. I do know you plant the roots in deep furrows alot of people use old horse drawn plows to go deep. You gradually fill in the furrows as the plants grow. Also you do not harvest for the 1st 3 years I believe and you do not cut all of the asparagus when you begin to harvest. I know there is more info on the net I think the Ma, growers ma have one. Nourse farms is a local operation and they are very helpful. Good luck.
Joe
22 mower 5', grader blade, 189 two way moldboard plow, cultivators ,danco C2 mower,1961 Comet, 1984 BMW 318i

Part of life is falling down, living is getting back up.

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger

Postby Rudi » Sat Aug 02, 2008 5:47 pm

Joe:

Thanks. Got it saved. I did just about everything mentioned there. We had lots of water, the bed is raised and well drained. The furrows were 6-8" deep and it was fertilized. Oh well, gotta keep trying.. At this rate though, I will be 60 before I get any... :big crying:
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Sat Aug 02, 2008 8:19 pm

Bev has a patch we have been harvesting for 10 years or more. Had to let it grow for 2 years before any harvest. Only light picking that year a week or two the heavier the 3rd year and hit it heavy ever since. It takes heavy composting every year. The raised beds you mention bother me. We planted it deep and filled in a bit every year with compost till the ground was level. That took 4 years if I remember.
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

Jim Roy
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Jim Roy » Sun Aug 03, 2008 1:28 pm

Rudi, I also have tried to grow Asparagus with no luck. May try again. I thank I will let Betty try her hand this time. :big smile: :big smile:
Jim
My wife has a long honey do list, I read it, thank about it, than take a nap to see if it goes away.
49 Cub

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sun Aug 03, 2008 9:16 pm

When I worked for a water softener dealer there was a man that bought several bags of rock salt for his asparagus bed every year. He raised it to sell, and said it was a salt water plant and the salt helped it.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger

Postby Rudi » Sun Aug 03, 2008 9:43 pm

John:

I googled Asparagus and ended up on Wikipedia. Fascinating reading. Seems you are correct, it is a maritime plant and likes salt, unfortunately salt is not so good for the rest of the plot.. :oops: :roll: :( Not sure what to do. Maybe put a little salt in the area of the asparagus and hope it doesn't migrate to the rest of the bed.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:15 am

I'm in the process of establishing 2 new beds. One bed started this year and one started last year. The bed started this year appears to be doing great. The one started last year - so-so.
These two beds, I dug down about 18 inches then filled with a 50/50 mixture of manure and soil in the fall - then planted the following spring.

I have tried to establish two bed on son's acreage. Those two bed have done nothing - thinking its the soil or soil type. Lot of clay, very shallow top soil, hard pan within 12" of surface.

I'm currently using seeds started in a germinater. Once the seedling is about 10 inches tall, bury the seedling about 8 inches deep in the plot, all but the top leafy portion. This process seems to be working well.

Seed packets cost about $1.00. I have purchased root stock - considering the price - and frequent poor results - not cost effective.

Mulching. I have an asparagus bed in Iowa where the frost line is 36". Not mulched.

So, I really don't know the answer.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger

Postby Rudi » Mon Aug 04, 2008 11:29 am

Eugene:

Well we have seeds, so I think maybe you might have part of the answer. I am going to see if Em will be able to germinate and start the asparagus seedlings. I am going to fertilize with manure this fall, that whole bed along with the rest of my gardens. Will retry in the spring for the new bed.

Anyone else with any growing tips, ideas, thoughts.... I am open to.. I really want to get this bed growing.

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Mon Aug 04, 2008 11:35 am

Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger

Postby Rudi » Mon Aug 04, 2008 12:15 pm

Don:

Thanks, got it bookmarked and will study it. :big smile:

Guys, I appreciate all the info so far, some good stuff here.

Bill Hudson
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 44057
Tractors Owned: 57 F-Cub - Dad & Mom's Cub
77 F-Cub - Red Long Stripe

Postby Bill Hudson » Mon Aug 04, 2008 2:00 pm

Rudi,

Let me do my Extension Agent thing. Please refer to the following Fact Sheet:
http://ohioline.osu.edu/hyg-fact/1000/1603.html Hope this helps.

One thing that is often over looked, nevertheless, it is critical to success growing almost anything (except weeds) - that is "don't guess, soil test." A soil test can tell you what you need nutritionally to grow the crop you want. Check with http://www.gnb.ca/0179/01790003-E.ASP, a laboratory in New Brunswick or for a list of soil testing laboratories across Canada try, http://www.canadiangardening.com/how-to/gardening-resources/testing-your-soil/a/1780

Spend a few bucks on a soil test can relieve frustration and wasted $$$$$$.

Bill
Bill

"The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop." Edwin Conklin, biologist

Member of Ohio Chapter #6

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger

Postby Rudi » Mon Aug 04, 2008 2:12 pm

Bill:

You are an old smoothie you know that huh?

I knew about the soil test, but couldn't for the life of me remember where I had seen it on line. I dislike the gov pages.. but when I find em I bookmarkem. Seems like your extension agent thingy is workin well.

I will do the test I think. I enjoyed the OSU.edu article. Good info there too.

Now here is another question for you. If asparagus really needs some localized salt, can it be added to a mixed use bed without disastrous results to say the lavender, rosemary, thyme and rhubarb that would be close beside it?

Maybe I will be successful next year.

Thanks.

Bill Hudson
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 44057
Tractors Owned: 57 F-Cub - Dad & Mom's Cub
77 F-Cub - Red Long Stripe

Postby Bill Hudson » Mon Aug 04, 2008 3:44 pm

Rudi wrote:... Now here is another question for you. If asparagus really needs some localized salt, can it be added to a mixed use bed without disastrous results to say the lavender, rosemary, thyme and rhubarb that would be close beside it?

Maybe I will be successful next year.

Thanks.

Rudi,

Help me out here, "localized salt?' Translate please. :) :)

Bill
Bill

"The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop." Edwin Conklin, biologist

Member of Ohio Chapter #6

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Mon Aug 04, 2008 8:07 pm

Asparagus has both male and female plants. When you plant seed you gets what you get. You can buy selected plants you can get all female for best results. Bev planted hers in the spring and I just noticed you planted in the fall.
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

Return to “Farm Life and Better Half Forum”