This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

“Need help with garden irrigation system”

Farming and rural life discussion forum. Cooking, hunting, gardening, fishing, critters, etc.
Froghunter
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 19938
eBay ID: bull829

“Need help with garden irrigation system”

Postby Froghunter » Thu Aug 14, 2008 4:18 pm

Well I’m doing something to improve my garden area. The goal is to be able to provide the family of four with good quality vegetables year around through fresh, canned or frozen. The garden space is 30’ by 360’ I have a small pond that holds water year around, it’s 20’ by 40’ and 8’ deep at it’s deepest point which is in the center. I want to use the pond to irrigation the garden with 25’ soak hoses. I will run the water through PVC pipe buried in the ground to the valves. My question is what kind of electric pump do I need to do this and what other things do I need to know?

Thanks!

Froghunter
3 x CCO
CC106
CC1450 (Donated to School to use)
CC104
Case 644 Compact Loader
Case/IH 235

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: “Need help with garden irrigation system”

Postby Jim Becker » Thu Aug 14, 2008 6:28 pm

30 x 360 = 10,800
20 x 40 = 800
10,800 / 800 = 13.5
Putting an inch of water on the garden will take more than a foot of water out of the pond (even at the top). You need to carefully look at how often you will need to water and what the recharge characteristics of the pond are. You don't want to build a system just to find that you quickly have an empty pond.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Thu Aug 14, 2008 7:17 pm

Frost line. Pipe has to be buried below frost line. Or carefully sloped to drain during winter. Or every fall hire a large air compressor to blow any water out of the line.

Current water system. Farm well, how much available water, well replenishment rate.

If a "city" water system. Some times they will permit a 2nd water meter for garden areas. That way you do not have to pay the sewage fees for water used in the garden.

The current cost of "city water" and how the cost is computed. Your current usage and estimated usage/increased cost for watering the garden

Total estimated cost of the project. Pump, motor, pressure tank, electricity source/connection, plumbing supplies, trenching, etc..
I have an excuse. CRS.

Bill Hudson
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 44057
Tractors Owned: 57 F-Cub - Dad & Mom's Cub
77 F-Cub - Red Long Stripe

Postby Bill Hudson » Thu Aug 14, 2008 8:00 pm

Froghunter,

You might want to consider drip tape instead of soaker hoses. The drip tape can be placed for the entire season and mulched in, thus eliminating the need to move your water distribution system regularly. Using mulch will reduce water usage and weed pressure. When using pond water for this system (soaker hoses as well) you will need to filter the water to prevent sediment from pluging the outlet points. Using drip tape or soaker hoses will reduce the total water needed to water your garden, however, as Jim Becker pointed out, your pond can be considered as a potential limiting factor unless it is spring-fed. Another consideration is the economics of the supplies and hardware necessary to get the job done. I do not know the costs of any of the materials I have discussed.

Good luck. We all will be interested in how this turns out for you.

Bill
Bill

"The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop." Edwin Conklin, biologist

Member of Ohio Chapter #6

smigelski
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 08070
Tractors Owned: JD 4040
JD 301A
Ford 3910
Oliver 770
FCub 1947
Fcub 1952
Farmall 100

Postby smigelski » Sun Aug 17, 2008 5:17 pm

Here is what I did.
I drove a 1 1/2" well. If you have a pond the water table cannot be to deep. A weel tip point and well pipe in 5 ft lengths.
Then I hook up an 1 1/2" gas powered pump, you can get a cheap 1 for around $150 or a good pump for about $500.
( I have a 1 1/2" honda pressure pump)
Then I used the black plastic pipe to run to the garden, after that I put garden hose connections.
I can run 8 sprinklers at 1 time about 300ft from the pump.
I have found that storeing the the black plastic pipe to be a problem, since I am on a farm I just throw it some place and it lays outside all year.

I have friend that does the same thing but he got used hose from heating oil trucks. After and intense flush of water for a few hours it was clean. it is easier rolled up, plus you can drive a tractor or vehicle over the hose. So I will be looking for some of that hose.

Return to “Farm Life and Better Half Forum”