This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Badger

Farming and rural life discussion forum. Cooking, hunting, gardening, fishing, critters, etc.
TJG
10+ Years
10+ Years

Badger

Postby TJG » Tue Sep 30, 2008 10:20 am

Any advice on getting rid of a suspected badger digging in the meadow? I afraid of people or animals falling in a hole and breaking a leg.

Todd

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Badger

Postby Don McCombs » Tue Sep 30, 2008 10:26 am

I would contact your state wildlife management agency. Maybe they can assist you in trapping it and transferring it to a more suitable location.
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Tue Sep 30, 2008 11:32 am

I was infested with groundhogs. The dog got some but not all. For the rest I used smoke bombs sold for just that purpose. I filled all the holes I thought were from one den with dirt in the last one I put a lit smoke bomb and covered that with dirt. There were a couple of instances where smoke came up from holes I hadn't covered. Another lit bomb and more dirt. With the trailer filled with dirt behind the cub it was easy. I had one start a den into the bank of the dam for the pond. I realized then a man got to do what a man got to do. I wasn't about to cause a flood and kill people. It took a couple of times to get the ones migrated in but with close cut fields the problem is solved. Worked for skunk that took up residence near the house too.
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

TJG
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby TJG » Tue Sep 30, 2008 12:59 pm

Where did you get the smoke bombs? And did the critter come out of the hole and make a run for it (if it was in the hole)?

Todd

bob in CT
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 06040
Tractors Owned: 77 Cub (red); 74 Cub; 52 Cub; 50 Cub ( post-demo)
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby bob in CT » Tue Oct 14, 2008 7:54 am

Farm supply and feed store will have them. You are supposed to have a big rock handy to plug the hole once the smoke bomb goes in and then seal it with dirt. Woodchucks have multiple entries so yo need to seal them off first. Not sure about badgers. I would follow Don's advice and talk to your local extension service first. Badgers have a reputation of being an handful if cornered.

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Tue Oct 14, 2008 8:16 am

TJG I missed your question. Got mine aqt TSC
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop