This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Fire them up!!..Lets see them der stoves!

Farming and rural life discussion forum. Cooking, hunting, gardening, fishing, critters, etc.
grunt
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 51557
eBay ID: spec [77]
Tractors Owned: 52 cub
40ish Farmall M with JD bucket

Fire them up!!..Lets see them der stoves!

Postby grunt » Fri Dec 19, 2008 9:22 am

OK.., This is the first year we have had a wood burring stove in our basement. It was pretty pricey to get it put in and all but we are really happy to have it. Me and my wife made the decision to have one put in after last winter, when a few towns around us lost power for weeks at a time.
Well here are some pics of it first real long burn maiden voyage. We had to get a few brake-in fires out of the way per the instructions. :roll:
We are going to cut a few vent holes in the main floor to let the heat in but even with out the holes we were still able to maintain 68 degrees in the house.
So if you have any pics lets see them.

Also if you can give the size of your house and the temps the stove maintains that would be good too. Also stove fire box size would be nice if you know it.

Specs:

Regency model F3100
fire box 2.9 cubic ft
68 degrees (as of now)
roughly 4000 square feet total

Pros: well built, came with a free automated two speed blower fan, good size fire box and a good size ash drawer
Cons: It is in the basement and takes a while to get a good up draft (due to my in-experience :? )

now for some pics

Getting ready for the cleaning

bean is happpy with the cleaning job. :{_}:

lil' sister Mikey has to inspect the job.. notice the union Stewart (the cat) is in the back ground observing the inspection

Yep it is clean :big afro:

Now.. where are those JD flyers to burn, I need some kinling :lol:
TA...daaaa!! :applause: :applause:

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

daddydip
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 19320
eBay ID: 2001fltri
Tractors Owned: CC108
1948 farmall f cub
1955 farmall f cub
1955 international lo boy
1952 vai case
2005 236B Caterpillar
1999 TDI Jetta MK IV I like!
2008 H.D FLTRI

Re: Fire them up!!..Lets see them der stoves!

Postby daddydip » Fri Dec 19, 2008 1:17 pm

big poppa keeps us real cozy, house is around 2300 to 2500 sq.ft. unfinished basement.Image
One Life , One Love , A Love Supreme

The only thing new is untold history, Harry Truman

grunt
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 51557
eBay ID: spec [77]
Tractors Owned: 52 cub
40ish Farmall M with JD bucket

Postby grunt » Fri Dec 19, 2008 3:26 pm

daddydip wrote:big poppa keeps us real cozy, house is around 2300 to 2500 sq.ft. unfinished basement.Image

GREAT!! :{_}:
lets keep them comming.
I like your other thread you had about big poppa and wanted to post this but I did not want to hi-jack it.

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Fri Dec 19, 2008 6:04 pm

Got a Thermo Control with pipes on the inside. A pump controlled by a Aquastat pushes water through rads. Works real well. Even with out electricity natural convection (just like a cub) keeps things cozy.
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sun Dec 21, 2008 5:03 pm

Since I just formatted my computer hard drive, and don't have everything put back yet, I am not ready to upload pictures yet, so no help there, but my stove is a 45 or more year old Warm Morning wood stove. Looks just like the old Warm Morning gas heaters, except no place to view the flames from the front. Thermostat draft, blower, etc. We bought it used 20+ years ago, and I completely rebuilt it at the time, but it has now reached the point that it will be replaced before next years heating season. Just too much wrong to fix it. It sets in an unfinished basement on a concrete floor with pipe passing through a concrete wall to an external masonry chimney. We use it to heat the basement in cold weather, and between the floors being warmed from below and furnace having an air intake in basement the heat pump runs very little in cold weather. Haven't decided yet whether to replace it with another circulator, or to put in a small wood furnace.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

phildidit
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 30114
Tractors Owned: 1951 cub "Ms. Scarlett"
1962 Leora's loboy "Starburst"
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby phildidit » Sat Jan 10, 2009 7:46 am

looks good, i have a high valley stove that i put in my house when i built it 6 years ago. we absolutely love it! be careful with the glass doors though. i had a log sticking out just a little too much and shattered the glass. i called found high valley on the web. $120 plus shipping. they sent me one.......a million pieces! so they sent me another. so after 2 weeks, i finally got my stove fired up again!! of course the 2 weeks were the coldest time , and when i got the glass i t got up to 65 degreees. go figure.

Virginia Mike
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 24095
Tractors Owned: '49 Cub
'49 JD "B"
'79 JD 2040
'50 DB "Garden Tractor"
'52 DB "Super Power"
'56 DB "Big 5"
'62 DB "Super 600"
'37 McCormick Deering "LA" engine

Postby Virginia Mike » Sat Jan 10, 2009 8:04 am

John *.?-!.* cub owner wrote: my stove is a 45 or more year old Warm Morning wood stove.

John,
I grew up in a drafty farm house heated by a Warm Morning stove. On cold mornings I stood in front of it waiting for the fire to catch up reading the "Warm Morning" logo and thinking; "Liar!"
Best,
Mike
Tractors are made to work!
"A Cub will do as much as a team of horses,.. More in hot weather!" - C. W. Spradlin 1909-1994

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:09 am

Virginia Mike wrote:
John *.?-!.* cub owner wrote: my stove is a 45 or more year old Warm Morning wood stove.

John,
I grew up in a drafty farm house heated by a Warm Morning stove. On cold mornings I stood in front of it waiting for the fire to catch up reading the "Warm Morning" logo and thinking; "Liar!"
Yup, takes those things forever to get warm, but once those old circulaters got all that fire brick hot they kept you nice all day. I found a 20 year old Sears circulator for sale for $175 at Lake Ozark. When I looked at it, the outside looked as to be expected for a 20 year old stove in a basement, but the inside looked practically brand new. I figure I have burned more wood in my Warm Morning in a winter than that was has seen in it's life. A new stove like it costs around $750, so needless to say, it now resides in my basement. I did put a new set of door gaskets in it.

Jeff Silvey
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 46055
Tractors Owned: -
1950 Demo,1956 w/ FH, 1959 w 59" mower,
Cub L-54 Blade,152 Plow
189 plow, LF 194 Plow, Woods 42" Mower,
Choremaster Garden tractors & Implements
Antique Gas engines

Postby Jeff Silvey » Sat Jan 10, 2009 1:19 pm

Please don't forget this site. Cleaning
viewtopic.php?f=33&t=36121
In my line of work
" EVERYBODY GOES HOME THE NEXT MORNING"

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Sat Jan 10, 2009 3:58 pm

The vent holes through the floor sound great but in case of a house fire let the fire expand quickly. They should be metal lined with a fusable link in order to close down in an emergency.
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sat Jan 10, 2009 8:39 pm

Jeff Silvey wrote:Please don't forget this site. Cleaning
viewtopic.php?f=33&t=36121
My flue has a clean out at ground level and another one about shoulder high. That way I can clean it our form the ground without having to get on roof. It gets cleaned a lot more often that way.

Jeff Silvey
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Cub L-54 Blade,152 Plow
Antique Gas engines

Postby Jeff Silvey » Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:21 pm

Good job John. I'm very proud of you. :{_}: :{_}:
In my line of work

Jeff Silvey
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Cub L-54 Blade,152 Plow
Antique Gas engines

Postby Jeff Silvey » Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:25 pm

Well here's two thing you should do for the family.
viewtopic.php?f=33&t=37466
viewtopic.php?f=33&t=37712
In my line of work

Joe Malinowski
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 01035
eBay ID: jayrod01035
Tractors Owned: 1975 F cub, 1965 F cub, 1949 parts cub,1953 F cub 1942 JD LA, 1988 JD 330 diesel

Postby Joe Malinowski » Sun Jan 11, 2009 8:33 am

This is the stove in the corner of my living room. It is a Vermont Castings Intrepid, does a great job the downfall is it only takes a 16" log, in cold weather I light it in the afternoon when I get home from work and burn it through the night. In my basement is its big brother a Vermont Castings Vigilent, looks the same just bigger. I used to heat the house with the one in the basement and used 5-7 cords a year, only burn 2 or 3 now. Just a note the one upstairs has the optional heat shields on the back and the pipe, this cuts the distance the stove can be from a combustable surface to less than a foot. These stove have a internal combustion chamber the white lever on the left side closes a internal damper which makes the smoke go through a chamber from the bottom of the stove to reach the stove pipe, which gives off more heat. When I got my 1st one 28 years ago the stoves were built to order and were cast using sand, they are quite heavy
Joe
22 mower 5', grader blade, 189 two way moldboard plow, cultivators ,danco C2 mower,1961 Comet, 1984 BMW 318i

Part of life is falling down, living is getting back up.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sun Jan 11, 2009 5:49 pm

Not much to look at, but does a good job of warming the basement, which in turn warms floor of house and reduces electric cost. The white pipe coming down the wall behind it brings outside air to just behind it. I have a large fire extinguisher mounted on a shelf behind the photographer, and just to the right of the stove is a plastic tub containing a couple plastic bags of fire extinguisher powder one of the FFA clubs sold a few year back so you could just grab the bags and pitch inside the stove in case of a chimney fire. There is a smoke detector in the middle of the basement that is hard wired to one in the hall upstairs just outside the bedroom doors, and a CO monitor that displays parts/million and has the most obnoxious alarm you ever heard mounted in the basement close to the steps leading upstairs. The picture is a little misleading as to size, it will take sticks up to 23 inches long. Great thing is the thermostat draft control on the stove, just set it to temp you want for air around stove and you don't have to keep running down basement steps to adjust draft. I keep the 2 pans on top of the stove full of water to prevent the air form getting to dry when stove is in use. When not running the stove I have a dehumidifier running in the basement.

Return to “Farm Life and Better Half Forum”