This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Ideas for an economical hand pump for a 75' well

Farming and rural life discussion forum. Cooking, hunting, gardening, fishing, critters, etc.
Eikel
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 62278

Ideas for an economical hand pump for a 75' well

Postby Eikel » Sat Jan 17, 2009 10:26 pm

I have a well with water at the 70-75" depth, this is an old well and I'm not sure about the volume I'll get out of it. My intent is to use it for watering trees, and other plants. The problem is 70" is too deep for a hand powered cistern or shallow water pump, when you go to a deep well pump the prices go into the $400-600 range. Does anyone have ideas or sources for an economical hand pump capable of a 75" suction head? BTW there's no electricity available at the site.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Re: Ideas for an economical hand pump for a 75' well

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:00 pm

Not sure where to find them, but the old time hand pumps people used to have before running water would handle it. They had a pipe with a rod inside it and a piston that went down in the well. One word of warning though, it takes a lot of pumping to raise enough water to take care of trees. A LOT of pumping. You might look into some of the places that supply hardware to Amish communities.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:27 pm

here is a gas powered one that is supposed to handle up to 98 feet on the suction side
http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/ ... _200310532

and a submersible for use with solar power or just batteries.
http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/ ... _200332019

a Google search for "hand water pump" yielded this, plus several others. Many of them are pretty pricey though
http://www.bakermonitor.com/domestic_ne ... mp_stands/
http://www.solar4power.com/solar-power-water-pump.html

Years ago we had a jet pump that came with a pulley you could put on it and drive with a gasoline motor if your electricity was off. I don't know if they still make them or not.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Eikel
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Eikel » Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:52 pm

I hadn't seen the Northern Tool gas power pump before and it could have possibilities. I'd still like to find a hand pump though; I think it's out there, I just have to find it.

The trees I'm watering are young, once they're established I'll only water them during dry spells and when I fertlize. There are a few other plants that would appreciate a drink and not require a lot of water. As you said, it's still a lot of pumping but it's a trade off with hauling water.

Thanks for the feedback.

Eikel

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Eugene » Sun Jan 18, 2009 12:00 am

Cumberland General Store. I think they are on line. They have hand pumps. Again not cheap by the time you figure in the pump, cylinder, platform and pipe.

I used a 2 wheeled trailer and several 55 gallon barrels to haul water to trees. Filled the barrels from a stream. Couldn't find anything cheaper - just more labor intensive.

If you have a surface water source - 12 volt battery operated pumps are cheap. Barrels can be rigged to empty out the bottom through valve and hose.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Eikel
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Eikel » Mon Jan 19, 2009 8:37 am

Eugene
I looked at the Cumberland General Store website and they appeared to only carry cistern or shallow well pumps. It was hard to tell on a couple as I couldn't locate the technical specs. They did have a different pump, it was advertised as capable of filling overhead water storage.
I don't have surface water available yet, hopefully in the not to distant future.

Thanks for the feedback
Eikel

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:48 am

Search the web using the terms "well pump cylinders". You will get a lot of hits and good information. Hold your breath when you see the prices.

The prices do not include installation.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Eikel
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Eikel » Mon Jan 19, 2009 6:58 pm

I haven't tried that particular search but will this evening. This is an old well with an unknown flow so the pumps with proud prices aren't an option. I've even considered using a shallow well pump with a check valve half way down; not sure if I'd gain a siphon effect or degraded by a hydraulic lock/restriction.
I was hoping someone had run into this problem before and had a ready made solution but ... that's the way it goes sometimes. I can still haul water and it'll motivate me to get more inventive; who knows what Rube Goldberg contraption might come out of this.

thanks again for the feedback

Virginia Mike
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 24095
Tractors Owned: '49 Cub
'49 JD "B"
'79 JD 2040
'50 DB "Garden Tractor"
'52 DB "Super Power"
'56 DB "Big 5"
'62 DB "Super 600"
'37 McCormick Deering "LA" engine

Postby Virginia Mike » Tue Jan 20, 2009 8:00 am

www.lehmans.com
Not cheap, but what is anymore.
Best,
Mike
Tractors are made to work!
"A Cub will do as much as a team of horses,.. More in hot weather!" - C. W. Spradlin 1909-1994

Eikel
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Eikel » Tue Jan 20, 2009 8:36 pm

Dave,
I've found anything with deep well in the title means you need deep pockets; which I'm just not willing to put much money into an unproven well.
In part of my research I've come across a group called "Hyromissions International," they're missionaries trying to improve the living conditions in Africa. A key part of they're mission is providing access to clean potable water. With limited supply and technical support in the remote areas, they had to develop a simplistic pump that was maintainable with limited resources. Most of the components come straight out of Home Depot/Lowes, the pump body consists of a 2"x 24" piece of pvc pipe.
Unless someone has a better idea, I'm thinking the best solution for my problem maybe an adaptation of their basic concept. Who know, if I can get a functioning design, the second version might include a Cub as a power unit (if you're dreamin', you might as well dream big).

Bob

daddydip
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 19320
eBay ID: 2001fltri
Tractors Owned: CC108
1948 farmall f cub
1955 farmall f cub
1955 international lo boy
1952 vai case
2005 236B Caterpillar
1999 TDI Jetta MK IV I like!
2008 H.D FLTRI

Postby daddydip » Sat Jan 24, 2009 2:48 pm

eikel maybe you can get some one to give you and old windmill? :arrow: :idea: :)
One Life , One Love , A Love Supreme

The only thing new is untold history, Harry Truman

Eikel
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Eikel » Sun Jan 25, 2009 9:19 pm

daddydip,
While it can feel pretty breezy at 12 degrees (like today), the well is surrounded by woods and the wind isn't that reliable. I'm not sure a windmill would receive adequate breezes to work properly.

Eikel

Brandon Webb
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 40741
Tractors Owned: 1957 Farmall Cub High Crop
1969 International 140
1975 International Cub

Cub 174 Planter with Row Markers
Cub 201 Planter with Row Markers
No. 27 Corn and Pea Attachments
No. 12 Rotary Weeder Attachment
Pittsburg Carry-Lift
Brookfield Buzz Saw
IH McCormick Seed Plate Test Stand

Postby Brandon Webb » Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:26 pm

Look at an Air pump. I'm not sure technically what they are called but you can find plenty of them on youtube. It uses a small electric air compressor, the air runs down a tube and and back up the end about a foot. It bubbles the water to the surface. Works at nearly any depth and as cheap as the pump and hose. I'll forward some links later from home. I have a windmill and well on our farm, it is a very expensive route and just because the wind blows alot doesn't mean it will pump. My windmill never stops spinning but when you engage the pump rod it takes a spring wind to pump water.

outdoors4evr
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48370
Tractors Owned: 184

Postby outdoors4evr » Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:59 am

I'm not an old guy, but the old handle powered pumps usually had a leather gasket. You usually had to dump some water down the pipe to get the leather to swell and "prime the pump". The pump used the prime water to create suction and draw up the water.
A check valve only works if no dirt or rust gets in there. (not long before that happens)

If it were me, I would go see a local well driller and ask to buy a used or rebuilt electric deep well pump. (pump goes at bottom of the well) Put a 220v outlet on the end and connect it to a generator to move the water. (probably needs 15-20amps to run a well)
184 w/ Creeper & 3-Point
IH 3160a Mower
IH Model 15 Tiller
IH-54 Blade

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Postby Barnyard » Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:08 am

Since this thread is over four years old I hope Eickel got it going by now! :D
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

Return to “Farm Life and Better Half Forum”