This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Ice Fishing in CT

Farming and rural life discussion forum. Cooking, hunting, gardening, fishing, critters, etc.
Peter Person
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 06076
Circle of Safety: Y

Ice Fishing in CT

Postby Peter Person » Mon Feb 09, 2009 7:29 pm

Had opportunity to go ice fishing on Saturday with my FIL.
Aron was the "1st Responder" to one of the tip-ups.

This was one of two that we got.
Fresh fish for dinner!

Peter
1957 Farmall Cub "Emory", Fast-Hitch, L-F194 Plow & Colter, L-38 Disc Harrow, Cub-54A Blade, Cub-22 Sickle Bar Mower, IH 100 Blade

Circle of Safety

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

ScottyD'sdad
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02769
Tractors Owned: 6"F" cubs
5 lo-boys
1 154
1 184
1 IH444
1 Oliver OC3 crawler
1 AC D10
1 IH 100 manure spreader
1 IH model B corn grinder
3 power units
cub demonstrator

Re: Ice Fishing in CT

Postby ScottyD'sdad » Mon Feb 09, 2009 7:45 pm

Peter, be careful with that ice fishing. I know a man who went ice fishing, caught 200 pounds of ice, and his wife drowned, cooking it. Ed
Member of Chapter 18, and National
Circle of Safety

rickguns
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 62301
Tractors Owned: 1952 Cub "Baby Cub"
Ford 3000
Kubota MX 5100

Postby rickguns » Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:38 am

Good looking fish, happy looking young man!

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Tue Feb 10, 2009 12:22 pm

Nice bass. Congratulations, Aron. :D
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

Bill Hudson
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 44057
Tractors Owned: 57 F-Cub - Dad & Mom's Cub
77 F-Cub - Red Long Stripe

Postby Bill Hudson » Wed Feb 11, 2009 2:09 am

Aron,

Nice job!!!

Bill
Bill

"The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop." Edwin Conklin, biologist

Member of Ohio Chapter #6

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby BigBill » Thu Feb 12, 2009 8:21 am

Way to go!!!!!!

Large Mouth bass fishing is another one of my hobbies. I been after a new state record but i'm only up to 10lbs so far with the record being 12lbs 14oz. I've seen bigger fish swimming by me too. You have to out smart these older gals because thats why they got to be so big. I start bass fishing as soon as it warms up, going out at 3:30am and fishing as long as my health will allow me too. Usually the bigger bass are right near the shore ambushing the baitfish in the shallows. The bass pro shops topnocker #25 is one of the best topwater baits i have ever used. Just cast it out and twitch it so it almost stays in the same spot or walk the dog with it either way be ready for the explosive topwater action. We need to catch the big gals just before they start to move to there daytime haunts(deep cover to hide). At first light when the sky starts to light up at this time is your best shot at landing one. We do have big bass in CT i've proved that many times over. We just have to adapt to there feeding habits so they can be caught. One other thing is being very very stealthy too we have to be very quiet with our tackle box, our rods and how we walk up to our spots. Do not step on any rocks sticking out of the ground near the water because it actually sends vibrations into the water like a calling card that your there hunting them. And put your tackle box down very lightly too. I sneezed one day and watch a big gal swim away from me.

I can't begin to tell you about the bigger bass i have caught and the ones i hooked and couldn't move in the weeds. I have watched them hit my lures like torpedo's on the topwater but never got to see them after that. This made me bump up to 25lb test and 6 1/2ft rods and i even use light saltwater tackle too. Me and one of my buddies lost this very big bass in the same spot a year apart. He not only lost his lure he broke his rod trying to horse it up too.

Now i'm fishing very small places in CT were dams were built many years ago to harness the water power on our rivers. These little places is were the fish get trapped and just grow to be very large.

Don't let no one tell you we don't have big bass in CT too. Every place i have fished in the dark i have caught larger bass and even seen bigger fish. You also need to wear a cheap pair of polarized sun glasses and watch the area behind your lure for flashes. If your going to fast for them with your lure you can see the flashes and misses behind your lures. The fish are actually telling us to slow it down.

Please remind me before the next cubfest and i'll show you some of my favorite and hottest bass lures. The color and size are very important too, plus its all about the presentation too.

I fish everyday from spring till i get burned out which is about by july or august thats up at 3:30am everyday. Then i sleep the rest of the day. You have to put your time in when hunting for big bass and sooner or later it will pay off. There will be many 3lbers to 6 lbers inbetween the bigger ones for sure its all good.

Pick yourself up some good spray scent too. Walmart usually has a sale right now on lures and scents too. I use baitmate bass scent most of the time. I also use YUM shad and crawfish scent too. Wash your hands before you go fishing too i use big orange to wash my hands so there free of our body oils and scent.
I also fish by the moon phases too but thats another story.
Overall when we do it right we will catch fish.

Its not luck in fishing its skill. And remember to take a kid fishing too. BigBill

BTW; Did i tell you i like fishing too?
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.

Return to “Farm Life and Better Half Forum”