This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

A little late, but maybe it'll work out !

Farming and rural life discussion forum. Cooking, hunting, gardening, fishing, critters, etc.
spiveyman
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 29644

A little late, but maybe it'll work out !

Postby spiveyman » Sun Apr 26, 2009 10:27 pm

Dad and I spent ALL day Saturday working around our little farmhouse. We've been wanting to add some more fruit trees and such for a while now, but haven't had the time. We already have pear, fig, and pecan trees that we absolutely love. We decided to try our luck and plant a few more - what the heck. Nothing ventured, nothing gained! We found a greenhouse outside of town Saturday early morning and bought a brown turkey fig, two guavas ( I had never even heard of these before), three kiwis (two female and one male), some sort of plum, and dad bought 2 chippewa blueberries and 2 arapaho blackberries at Lowes on his way to the farm friday. We also bought two cocoa palms for momma to add some aesthetics to the house ! We worked all day in the 92 degree heat, but it was fun. We cleaned out some old beds and prepared some new ground too.

Lucky for us, the only advantage I can think of being RIGHT NEXT to the swamp, is that the ground stays very very moist year round. All of our plants are in moist, fertile soil. Hopefully that will help us. Between the scorching summers and the overwhelming deer ( trust me, you dont have a deer problem. WE DO), it's hard to keep gardens. Hopefully this will all work out ! It sure was fun. When cool weather hits, we're going back to the greenhouse to pick up some peach trees. We've been wanting peach trees for years.

Below is the link to the pictures. If you are from the south, you will also recognize a scuppernong vine that I am working on "rescuing". TO those who do not know what a scuppernong vine is, I'm sure you'll know it when you see it :D It was set up in an arbor on the other side of the farm at my uncles' house. I'm not sure who - either my grandpa or great grandpa planted it. This vine was never taken care of. By that I mean it was never pruned. When my uncle went to dig it up and move it, he cut it way back. Between that and the transition to its new location, I'm glad it didnt die. They are very tough plants. Now it will get a lot more water in the moist soil behind our house. They dont need a lot of water to do well, but water sure wont hurt. So long story short, I've got a lot of work to do pruning, building another arbor, and getting it back producing, but it's gonna be worth it ! You can barely see the new growths on it, so there is hope for this old vine!

Next weekend I will take shoots from my grandma's muscadines and scuppernongs, and start two new trellises. Hers are the absolute biggest, and best I've had of either grape. More on that to come later! Sorry for my rambling, but this is just the project from the weekend and I'm too excited. Can't wait for these plants to mature and start producing ! :{_}: :{_}:

http://s102.photobucket.com/albums/m105 ... 204-26-09/
Andrew Spivey

"What doesn't kill you makes you stronger." - Friedrich Nietzsche

'49 Cub.....(Mr. Cub)

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

RaymondDurban
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 32536
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: A little late, but maybe it'll work out !

Postby RaymondDurban » Sun Apr 26, 2009 10:56 pm

Looks good Andrew. I take it a scuppernong is some kind of grape?? My father has a muscodine vine that I need to put up on a fence of some sort this week. It has started to bud out, and need to be up off the ground soon.

spiveyman
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby spiveyman » Sun Apr 26, 2009 11:02 pm

Thanks Raymond ! Yeap, the scuppernong are the bronze grapes. The muscadines are the purple ones. I love them both ! Great to eat fresh, and even better in preserves ! There are different opinions, but you can train them to grow on a trellis or in an arbor. This scuppernong was in an arbor, and I'm gonna keep it that way. The other two from my grandma I will put on trellises just for the heck of it. Hers are on trellises and do quite well. So, what the heck. I'll keep it the same! 8)
Andrew Spivey

'49 Cub.....(Mr. Cub)

Billy Fussell
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 75959

Postby Billy Fussell » Mon Apr 27, 2009 7:18 am

Looking good Andrew. I did notice the building behind the scuppernong vine still has the old brick siding on it. There are not many houses around here that still has it on them. Unless it just absolutely necessary to remove it, you might want to leave it as a glimpse into the past.

Enjoy the fruits of your labors.

Billy

spiveyman
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby spiveyman » Mon Apr 27, 2009 9:56 am

Thank you Mr Billy ! Funny story about the building though......It was on the other side of the farm in the middle of a cotton field. Was used as storage for the cured tobacco. We moved it so we could utilize it as a small workshop. Of course, momma wasn't too excited about that "ugly old building" being pulled up in her back yard. So , to compromise, dad and I promised to reside it in T1-11 and paint it white to match the house and other outbuildings. The old brick paper is sort of rotten anyways. But I agree, it is definitely a piece of history. At least we rescued it from being knocked down. That's the important part!
Andrew Spivey

'49 Cub.....(Mr. Cub)

daddydip
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 19320
eBay ID: 2001fltri
Tractors Owned: CC108
1948 farmall f cub
1955 farmall f cub
1955 international lo boy
1952 vai case
2005 236B Caterpillar
1999 TDI Jetta MK IV I like!
2008 H.D FLTRI

Postby daddydip » Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:12 am

andrew ,looks real good from here, if your going to get excited you picked the kinda stuff i get excited about. i'm going to start looking for those scuppernongs and muscadines,looks real interesting. :big afro:
One Life , One Love , A Love Supreme

The only thing new is untold history, Harry Truman

RedBess
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby RedBess » Mon Apr 27, 2009 12:44 pm

Guava is an aquired taste. I used to open and close seasonal family homes and at the end of fall I would go in to put the places to bed, one task was to clean the refrigerators out. There was always a jar of guava jelly in two of the places, year after year, with just a little eaten out of each jar. It has a medicinal flavor that I couldn't get used to, something on the level of Hore Hound candy. You might though. regards
bust it? you bet I can!
53 w/ sicklebar mower, dirt & snow plows, potato harvester, potato hiller, 3 types of harrows, and a old fashion hayrack all in ellsworth maine

spiveyman
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby spiveyman » Mon Apr 27, 2009 1:00 pm

THat's interesting to hear, RedBess. I've never even heard of guavas,but they were $5 each for the plants, so we thought, why not. I dont know exactly what kind these are - there seems to be several variations. Guess I'll find out sometime in the future when they bear fruit. In the meantime, I might try to find some and try them...
Andrew Spivey

'49 Cub.....(Mr. Cub)

Mr E
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 32460
eBay ID: noles1432460

Postby Mr E » Mon Apr 27, 2009 1:08 pm

spiveyman wrote: Hers are the absolute biggest, and best I've had of either grape. More on that to come later!

Andrew,
Think you could find out the name of those big ones? Would like to plant a vine or so.

Have fun. Nothing better than grapes and fruits off the plant. :{_}:
In the middle of every difficulty lies opportunity. - Albert Einstein

Image. Circle of Safety

Roy Edenfield
Deep South CubFest #10
February 14 & 15, 2020

Bill Hudson
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 44057
Tractors Owned: 57 F-Cub - Dad & Mom's Cub
77 F-Cub - Red Long Stripe

Postby Bill Hudson » Mon Apr 27, 2009 2:07 pm

Andrew,

Great pics! You were really busy. Just one suggestion, from a retired county extension agent, keep your mulch away from the stem tissue of the plants. About four inches away from the stem, all the way around the stem.

Bill
Bill

"The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop." Edwin Conklin, biologist

Member of Ohio Chapter #6

spiveyman
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby spiveyman » Mon Apr 27, 2009 2:42 pm

Thanks Mr BIll. These plants were planted as per Clemson University, but I saw no mention of keeping mulch away. I noticed it was harder for the water to seep into the ground, but I didn't think I should move the mulch over. I will get right on that ! :D

Mr Roy - I have no idea what cultivars my grandma has. My grandpa planted them 20-25 years ago. If you like, I can pull some extra shoots off of each when I go to propagate them. I can do the same for you Mr Pugh, but I have no idea if they will survive your winters up there. It wouldn't cost anything to try it, though. Will you be at any of the Ohio cubfests this year? I could bring some up that way if they survive......
Andrew Spivey

'49 Cub.....(Mr. Cub)

Mr E
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 32460
eBay ID: noles1432460

Postby Mr E » Mon Apr 27, 2009 5:58 pm

That's very kind of you, Mr. Andrew. Offer accepted. I definitely plan to be at the tug at BigDog's place. If they survive, bring a few. Much appreciated.

Thanks! :{_}: :{_}:
In the middle of every difficulty lies opportunity. - Albert Einstein

Image. Circle of Safety

Roy Edenfield
Deep South CubFest #10
February 14 & 15, 2020

KETCHAM
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44645
eBay ID: kevinb2366
Tractors Owned: 47 Cub 48 Cub 50 H

Postby KETCHAM » Tue Apr 28, 2009 12:11 pm

Deer Problem ha!!! I can solve that in one year!!! Better break out the grill!!! Need to get some pear trees in the ground up here.I love pears!!! Kevin :twisted: :twisted:
47 CUB[Krusty] 49 CUB[Ollie] 50 H-- PLOWS DISCS MOWERS AND lots more stuff!!Life is to short -Have fun now cause ya ain't gonna be here long!!!!

Return to “Farm Life and Better Half Forum”