This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

new potatoes ?

Farming and rural life discussion forum. Cooking, hunting, gardening, fishing, critters, etc.
TJG
10+ Years
10+ Years

new potatoes ?

Postby TJG » Sun Jul 19, 2009 5:13 pm

When you guys dig new potatoes do you just dig up the entire plant, or do you try and be careful to let the smaller tubers continue to grow?
Thanks,
Todd

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

RaymondDurban
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 32536
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: new potatoes ?

Postby RaymondDurban » Sun Jul 19, 2009 7:01 pm

The ones I grew, I will walk up and down the row and look for the ground that is 'cracked' and pushed up. Dig a little to get the big one that is pushing up the dirt, cover the hole back up and leave the others be, so that they can get bigger. I did this for about two-three weeks before I broke down and dug them all up before a big rain that I knew was coming.
Once the flowers bloom on the bush, you know that potatoes are under there!

TJG
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby TJG » Sun Jul 19, 2009 9:55 pm

Thanks. I dug up a few tonight and made beef stew in the dutch oven. Very good. But I noted several that could have grown up more so I'll leave them next time.
Todd

SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61722

Postby SONNY » Sun Jul 19, 2009 10:26 pm

I too, just "scratch" carefully and get the bigger ones first! thanks; sonny

TaylorLambert
10+ Years
10+ Years
Tractors Owned: Farmall Cub, YM3000 Yanmar, 1975 3550 Ford backhoe Case Skid steers, and a fence row BF Moline

Postby TaylorLambert » Sat Aug 15, 2009 10:03 pm

By accident I discovered how to make easy new potatos. I had made a small 3x3 wire basket one day bored and put some leaves and some scraps into layers. I had rolled it one time but it wasnt enough time to turn it by hand than my larger pile I turn with the skid steer. Well this summer I was out there and had 4 potato plants springing up in it. I waited 2 weeks after the blooms appeared and reached in and felt around and found several new taters. Then I let them got a week or 2 and did it again. Then i let it work its course and pulled up the cage and got the rest of the new taters and the big ones to. All clean and grit free. Also will work if you middle bust a furrow then plant the taters and pile on leaves or well rotted sawdust or compost. You can feel throu them and they grow allot faster and biggers not having to fight the soil here. I plan to put a raised wiremesh bed of taters in my green house this comming week to make some winter taters.

TractorChick
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 63023
Skype Name: The Chick
Tractors Owned: 2006 exmark zeroturn
1949 farmall cub
1948 farmall C
1963 Tilly Tiller
1951 Farmall Super A "lil' devil"
1945 farmall a "Apple"
1955 farmall cub

Postby TractorChick » Thu Aug 20, 2009 11:54 am

every year i have problems with them staying really tiny. i don't know what i do wrong because i follow that when it blooms and dies then the potatos are ready but i dunno what's happening to them
Silly Boys, Trucks are for girls.... :)
1963 Divco milk truck
1998 chevy Z71 truck
1984 SS Elcamino

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Thu Aug 20, 2009 4:09 pm

What are your soil conditions like, Amanda?
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby BigBill » Sat Aug 22, 2009 7:35 pm

TractorChick wrote:every year i have problems with them staying really tiny. i don't know what i do wrong because i follow that when it blooms and dies then the potatos are ready but i dunno what's happening to them

Your soil maybe too hard, they say to add some sand in it to soften it up so the potatoes can expand when they grow. Do you hill them? We hill them 3 times because they do grow up. I'm going to add some sand and more manure this year. I only got the red potatoes his year and nothing else. Again nothing with my sweet potatoes for the second year.

My corn, califlower, cabbage and potatoes did ok this year. My newly planted blueberries and strawberries are doing great. My tomatoes took a hit with all the wet weather we been having. In the past all my gardens have been raised gardens so i never had a water problem with the better drainage. This is my first garden thats flush with the lawn.
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Sat Aug 22, 2009 7:47 pm

Bill, your tomatoes may have been a victim of Late Blight. After only a week of getting ripe tomatoes, I pulled all my vines yesterday. Here's an article on Late Blight...

http://www.nysipm.cornell.edu/publications/blight/
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

Return to “Farm Life and Better Half Forum”