This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Pasture grass seed viability

Farming and rural life discussion forum. Cooking, hunting, gardening, fishing, critters, etc.
Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac
Circle of Safety: Y

Pasture grass seed viability

Postby Bob McCarty » Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:37 pm

While mowing some unused pasture today, I noticed that the seed was piling up on the mower deck. Decided to save it and ended up with about a 5 gal pail full. If planted, with this be likely to grow? Is there any way to test it ( like sprouting alfalfa seed in a wet paper tower in a jar)? I'll need to figure out a way to clean out the stem and leaves mixed in, maybe sift through grill screen. :D

Thanks, Bob
Last edited by Bob McCarty on Tue Aug 04, 2009 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bill Hudson
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 44057
Tractors Owned: 57 F-Cub - Dad & Mom's Cub
77 F-Cub - Red Long Stripe

Re: Pasture grass seed viability

Postby Bill Hudson » Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:59 pm

rjmac wrote:While mowing some unused pasture today, I noticed that the seed was piling up on the mower deck. Decided to save it and ended up with about a 5 gal pail full. If planted, with this be likely to grow? Is there any way to test it ( like sprouting alfalfa seed in a wet paper tower in a jar)? I'll need to figure out a way to clean out the stem and leaves mixed in, maybe sift through grill screen. :D

Thanks, bob

Bob,

Lets take the questions, one at a time:
1) Will it grow? Probably, but it is dependent on the species and what needs to be done for viable germination.
2) Is there a way to test it? Yes, it is also specie dependent on what kind of germination test is appropriate. Warm test, cold test, length of test and what percent germination is considered acceptable.
3) Cleaning? One of the considerations in the cleaning process is the removal of weed seeds. No sense planting weeds, they grow well enough on their own.

If you really want to seed some grass, my suggestion is to pony up the funds to buy processed seed of known specie(s), known germination and known percent of weed/foreign seeds.

Hope this helps.

Bill
Bill

"The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop." Edwin Conklin, biologist

Member of Ohio Chapter #6

ScottyD'sdad
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02769
Tractors Owned: 6"F" cubs
5 lo-boys
1 154
1 184
1 IH444
1 Oliver OC3 crawler
1 AC D10
1 IH 100 manure spreader
1 IH model B corn grinder
3 power units
cub demonstrator

Postby ScottyD'sdad » Sun Aug 09, 2009 4:36 pm

Bill is right, of course, but a cheap Polak, like ME, would test germination, in a damp paper towel, and plant it, if germination is satisfactory. Soil is full of weed seeds, and you never get a pure stand, of the pure , clean seed, that you pay dearly for. With all the weeds I have, a few more won't show. Ed
Member of Chapter 18, and National
Circle of Safety

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Sun Aug 09, 2009 4:39 pm

I am with Ed on this one. The start should be are you happy with the mix 0f growth where you are mowing.
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

Return to “Farm Life and Better Half Forum”