This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Fertilizer question (urea vs amon. nitrate)

Farming and rural life discussion forum. Cooking, hunting, gardening, fishing, critters, etc.
Trent M
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 62859
Circle of Safety: Y

Fertilizer question (urea vs amon. nitrate)

Postby Trent M » Mon Sep 14, 2009 4:47 pm

I figured this would be the best place to post this question. I have planted oats in a couple deer food plots. The instructions call for ammonium nitrate to be applied to supply nitrogen. The only fertilizers I find at Rural King and Wally World with a high nitrogen count are all based on urea. Is there a difference and do I need to pursue ammonium nitrate or will the urea be OK?

Thanks!
Trent McPeak

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Re: Fertilizer question (urea vs amon. nitrate)

Postby Eugene » Mon Sep 14, 2009 8:20 pm

http://farmingforwildlife.com/index2.ph ... df=1&id=61

Above link has some recommendations on nitrogen application for oats.

I don't think the type of fertilizer makes a difference, just the nitrogen content. With oats already in the ground you will probably have to go with broadcast application.

If you are looking for fertilizer with a high nitorgen content - look for a source of fresh turkey or chicken manure.

Kind of wondering. We used to fertilize before broadcasting small grain seed.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Bill Hudson
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 44057
Tractors Owned: 57 F-Cub - Dad & Mom's Cub
77 F-Cub - Red Long Stripe

Postby Bill Hudson » Mon Sep 14, 2009 8:44 pm

Trent,

In your situation you will not notice a significant difference between to two products. Ideally, you would want to apply fertilizer and seed at the same time but once again you will not notice a difference. Urea will volatilize a certain amount if it is applied to the soil surface. If it is incorporated into the soil, nitrogen loss is minimal. Your best bet is to broadcast the urea just prior to a rain storm. The moisture will take the nitrogen into the soil. It would be great if it started raining just as you are applying the last bag. :) :)

Happy hunting.

Bill
Last edited by Bill Hudson on Tue Sep 15, 2009 8:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bill

"The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop." Edwin Conklin, biologist

Member of Ohio Chapter #6

Trent M
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby Trent M » Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:20 pm

I did fertilize with the recommended amount of 13-13-13 at planting. A week later the oats are 3" tall. On the bag of seeds it recommended application of ammonium nitrate when the plants are 6" tall. I always heard urea should be disked in, so that's why I asked. I obviously can't incorporate it into the soil now. I'm sure I can find ammonium nitrate at the ag services locally.

It is my understanding that this second round of fertilizer is to give the plot a kick when its most vulnerable to overgrazing. There are already several sets of deer tracks in both plots and they have barely sprouted. There are simply lots of deer around here. I'm afraid, if the deer like the oats, they won't last long.
Trent McPeak

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:50 pm

If you had an end gate seeder you could broadcast the fertilizer. This would leave only a couple of tractor tracks in the oats stand.

Thinking. I haven't seen an end gate seeder in years. I could use one. Will have to start looking.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Trent M
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby Trent M » Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:55 pm

My fertilizer is broadcast with one of the over-the-shoulder-stick-in-your-belt hand crank types. I'll be walking through the plot.
Trent McPeak

Trent M
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby Trent M » Mon Sep 14, 2009 10:18 pm

Some good reading getting to the basics of fertilizer: http://www.noble.org/Ag/Soils/Back2Basics/index.html

From the above website, I learned that ammonium nitrate may be classified as a hazardous material? Heck, I can spread 2 bags of the urea almost just as easily. And I can pick it up at Rural King.

Eugene- The link you provided earlier is a very good one. I had already thought about frost seeding a clover. That will provide summer deer food and nitrogen for next year's oats. :D
Trent McPeak

Bill Hudson
Team Cub
Team Cub

Postby Bill Hudson » Tue Sep 15, 2009 8:21 am

Trent M wrote:...I learned that ammonium nitrate may be classified as a hazardous material?

Trent,

Remember Tim McVeigh? Ammonium nitrate + diesel fuel = great big BOOM!!!!!!! I'm sure this is the reason for the classification.

Bill
Bill

"The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop." Edwin Conklin, biologist

Trent M
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby Trent M » Tue Sep 15, 2009 10:15 am

Yes, Ok. City, I remember. I didn't remember the specifics.

I'll just spread the urea-based fertilizer and try to do it just before a rain.
Trent McPeak

Trent M
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby Trent M » Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:09 am

Tuesday afternoon it looked like rain. It even sprinkled on me on my way out to the farm, so I decided to broadcast the fertilizer (urea-based). But it cleared up and no rain. :twisted: It did start raining last night and we are getting a good soaker. Hopefully the urea hasn't set too long on the surface and this rain will wash it down into the soil. It sat for about 1.5 days before the rain.
Trent McPeak

Bill Hudson
Team Cub
Team Cub

Postby Bill Hudson » Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:18 am

Trent M wrote:Tuesday afternoon it looked like rain. It even sprinkled on me on my way out to the farm, so I decided to broadcast the fertilizer (urea-based). But it cleared up and no rain. :twisted: It did start raining last night and we are getting a good soaker. Hopefully the urea hasn't set too long on the surface and this rain will wash it down into the soil. It sat for about 1.5 days before the rain.

Trent,

You should be good to go.

Bill
Bill

Trent M
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby Trent M » Thu Sep 24, 2009 11:14 am

Bill Hudson wrote:
Trent,

You should be good to go.

Bill

:{_}: :-:-): :{_}: :-:-):
Trent McPeak

Return to “Farm Life and Better Half Forum”