This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Small buck picture

Farming and rural life discussion forum. Cooking, hunting, gardening, fishing, critters, etc.
Yogie
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 25271
eBay ID: yogiefisher
Tractors Owned: 37 John Deere A
63 Farmall Cub
53 Farmall Cub
56 Farmall Cub
IH 140
Massey 165 & 250
Circle of Safety: Y

Small buck picture

Postby Yogie » Thu Oct 29, 2009 12:42 am

As a wee boy many years ago my older brother would take me along to watch him shoot in archery competitions. I remember thinking how dumb it was, all this practicing when you could take a gun out and just take your pick at anything you were hunting.
But hanging around a little while I got the fever, he then purchased my first bow for me and I still have it today... A couple years ago I was very happy to return the favor with a top of the line bow that he had been wanting for a long time... :||):
Anyway, I'd like to thank my brother for a goal I've just crossed in bow hunting.
Here's a picture of my 100th white tail deer taken by archery.
I know he's no big trophy but they all are in my eyes, he'll be good this winter when the little one and I fire up the grill. :wink:

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

vtwarthog
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: -----------------------
63 IH cub lo-boy,
74 IH 154 w/3pt & creeper
72 IH 454 diesel w/loader

Re: Small buck picture

Postby vtwarthog » Thu Oct 29, 2009 2:50 am

Fine looking deer. How many sates do you normally hunt in? How many deer are allowed in Wv. per year per person?
I haven't counted the deer I've shot but it's way less than 100. Except for my upcoming trip to ontario I almost always hunt with a bow. I recently went back to a morrison recurve mainly because my kids and grandchildren have returned to traditional equipment.
Paul Allard

Joe Malinowski
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 01035
eBay ID: jayrod01035
Tractors Owned: 1975 F cub, 1965 F cub, 1949 parts cub,1953 F cub 1942 JD LA, 1988 JD 330 diesel

Postby Joe Malinowski » Thu Oct 29, 2009 5:07 am

Wow Yogie number 100 with a bow, that is a very impressive number, and that is a fine looking and most likely a very tastey animal.
Joe
22 mower 5', grader blade, 189 two way moldboard plow, cultivators ,danco C2 mower,1961 Comet, 1984 BMW 318i

Part of life is falling down, living is getting back up.

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Thu Oct 29, 2009 7:52 am

Nice buck, by anyone's standards.
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

Trent M
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 62859

Postby Trent M » Thu Oct 29, 2009 8:22 am

Wow, 100 of 'em! Congrats on a real milestone. And he's not a bad looking buck at all! He looks delicious!! :D
Trent McPeak

Yogie
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
63 Farmall Cub
53 Farmall Cub
56 Farmall Cub
IH 140
Massey 165 & 250

Postby Yogie » Thu Oct 29, 2009 9:14 am

vtwarthog wrote:Fine looking deer. How many sates do you normally hunt in? How many deer are allowed in Wv. per year per person?
I haven't counted the deer I've shot but it's way less than 100. Except for my upcoming trip to ontario I almost always hunt with a bow. I recently went back to a morrison recurve mainly because my kids and grandchildren have returned to traditional equipment.

Paul, I've hunted many many years here in our state and started back when if you saw a deer track it was a big deal. Now there's so many of them here they sell extra tags for how ever many you want pretty much.
I think the total last year with gun season and all was about 7 a person.
This year they opened a 2 week bow season in Sept. for doe only, after that came a week of muzzle loading. All of this came along before bow season opened Oct. 17th.
I've taken around 6 with my pickup and their laying all over the road on the way to work each morning soo something needs to be done... :(
I hunt only with a bow anymore, even during gun season you'll still see me heading out with my bow. I've fooled with it so long it's just a weapon of choice anymore, I love my gun collection but bows are just a part of me now I guess. :D
I'm looking forward to starting the little boy out, then he can provide meat and dad can drop back to playing a little with the recurve like I've always wanted. :wink:
I've taken my best bucks in the last week of season in Dec. after everythings wrapped up and everyones gone.. :wink:
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

vtwarthog
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: -----------------------
63 IH cub lo-boy,
74 IH 154 w/3pt & creeper
72 IH 454 diesel w/loader

Postby vtwarthog » Thu Oct 29, 2009 5:57 pm

How old is the son your about to introduce to bowhunting? You can't start them shooting too early. I remember having my oldest son Fred giving an archery demonstration in a local mall for a sporting good store back when he was around 10. He shot his first deer with a bow when he was about 14. I may not have these details exactly correct, CRS. Today he scores racks and is starting a hunting magazine in New Hampshire. My youngest son Scott has an indoor archery range in his garage. I think it was a competition with me. I built a workshop 28x72 with 12' ceilings that I could shoot in . He built one 30 x 65 with 12' ceilings on both stories. A couple years back Fred had my recurve bow custom made for me for father's day. It's weighed with a 27" draw and lettered "thanks for taking me bowhunting dad". He paid $600 for it and it shoots great. The year he gave it to me I was the only one in the family who got a deer that year. Check out the website for the Vermont Traditional Bow Hunters at http://www.centralvermont.com/gmtb/

Every year we have an outdoor "Allard Invitational Archery Shoot" with a rotating trophy that is engraved each year with the new winner's name. It's a piece of Thorne Apple branch holding a brass plaque attached to a white vermont marble base. '
Paul Allard

Yogie
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
63 Farmall Cub
53 Farmall Cub
56 Farmall Cub
IH 140
Massey 165 & 250

Postby Yogie » Thu Oct 29, 2009 6:57 pm

vtwarthog wrote:How old is the son your about to introduce to bowhunting? You can't start them shooting too early. I remember having my oldest son Fred giving an archery demonstration in a local mall for a sporting good store back when he was around 10. He shot his first deer with a bow when he was about 14. I may not have these details exactly correct, CRS. Today he scores racks and is starting a hunting magazine in New Hampshire. My youngest son Scott has an indoor archery range in his garage. I think it was a competition with me. I built a workshop 28x72 with 12' ceilings that I could shoot in . He built one 30 x 65 with 12' ceilings on both stories. A couple years back Fred had my recurve bow custom made for me for father's day. It's weighed with a 27" draw and lettered "thanks for taking me bowhunting dad". He paid $600 for it and it shoots great. The year he gave it to me I was the only one in the family who got a deer that year. Check out the website for the Vermont Traditional Bow Hunters at http://www.centralvermont.com/gmtb/

Every year we have an outdoor "Allard Invitational Archery Shoot" with a rotating trophy that is engraved each year with the new winner's name. It's a piece of Thorne Apple branch holding a brass plaque attached to a white vermont marble base. '

My little one's 8 years old, I kind of got a late start in that department.. :lol:
It's great hearing how your son's have stuck with it through the years, keeps them busy and out of other things. :wink:
Thanks for the web site and I may call on you later for some pointers about recurving...
Yogie
Ben Franklin

Boss Hog
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 23962
eBay ID: dmb2613

Postby Boss Hog » Thu Oct 29, 2009 7:44 pm

Dang Yogie you done killed bambie :D good looking buck. I have not hunted in over 15 years. I use to hunt every day. Kinda lost intrest in it. I kept a pack of 15 to 20 dogs for 20 years. Killed in the double digits every year, it got to be more of a job than pleasure thats when I quit, sold the dogs, guns, truck, dog boxes and the cb radios and never looked back. If I do anything it is at 100% and when I quit I quit cold turkey. I hope the cub thing and the hog thing never gets to be a job :D

Boss
IN GOD WE TRUST
All others pay cash
Boss Hog
Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely byJohn Emerich Edward Dalberg

CountryCub
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 32466
eBay ID: Seth.James.S
Tractors Owned: Partial ownership with BRay
1951 Cub- Andy
1949 Cub- Amos
1957 Cub- Elsie
1955 Cub- Swamp cub
1948 Lo-Boy- Anna
1949 H- Boss Man
1950 C-
1953 Super C-
International Cadet-Scooter
Cub Cadet- Louis Martin

Postby CountryCub » Thu Oct 29, 2009 9:06 pm

Good Lord! If I shot a buck that nice I believe i'd pee myself in excitment! True story now..
"A nation which does not remember what it was yesterday does not know where it is today." --Robert E. LeeImage

daddydip
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 19320
eBay ID: 2001fltri
Tractors Owned: CC108
1948 farmall f cub
1955 farmall f cub
1955 international lo boy
1952 vai case
2005 236B Caterpillar
1999 TDI Jetta MK IV I like!
2008 H.D FLTRI

Postby daddydip » Sun Nov 01, 2009 9:02 am

good looking buck yogie, they are really starting to move around here in my part of pa. i will be giving it a go very soon. :big afro:
One Life , One Love , A Love Supreme

The only thing new is untold history, Harry Truman

Mike in Louisiana
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 71023

Postby Mike in Louisiana » Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:35 am

Boss Hog,
Last year is the first time in 59 years I did not harvest a dear, I could have taken some but I would talk my self out of it because I did not feel like cleaning it. I have done like you and have pretty much quit do to my health. I have the Grandson who lives with me to get the meat. As a matter of fact he harvested a big doe yesterday afternoon and all I had to do was supervise the cleaning. I still enjoy planting food plots and looking at all the pictures on the trail camera. Yogie has me beat on that 100 with bow but I know I have him beat overall. We Had a limit of 6 dear either sex up until 2 years ago then they changed it to 3 bucks and 3 does.

edit: Forgot to add our deer season runs fron 1 Oct till 31 Jan
1975 cub (LouAnn) serial # 245946, 1941 John Deere Model H

Good judgment comes from experience,
and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. Will Rogers

Return to “Farm Life and Better Half Forum”