This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Surplus Military Guns collecting/shooting/hunting

Farming and rural life discussion forum. Cooking, hunting, gardening, fishing, critters, etc.
BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Surplus Military Guns collecting/shooting/hunting

Postby BigBill » Tue Dec 15, 2009 10:51 am

Does anyone have any surplus military guns or collect them? Believe it or not this can be a fun hobby at any budget because some are still very affordable. If you have your C&RFFL03 collectors licesne you get the whole sale internet prices and the russian mosins are still under $100. http://www.aimsurplus.com The russian made barnaul 7,62x54r 203gr soft point ammo for hunting is still $7 a box of 20 too. http://www.wideners.com You could put meat on the table at a very affordable price if your interested in getting started in hunting too. Either way this is a fun hobby. You can own, you can touch and shoot a piece of history plus its never too late to get started in doing this. Plus its a great winter hobby while its too cold to do anything else.
Plus there are lots of gun shows to enjoy too.

There's plenty of info on the net lots of cold winter nights reading to do too;

http://www.carbinesforcollectors.com/

http://www.surplusrifle.com/ surplus military gun info

http://www.rebooty.com/~dutchman/ The crown jewels of sweden

http://www.turkmauser.com/ Info on turkish 8mm mauers and 8mm ammo too. Click on "ammo" then click on "data" bottom of page click on "more" then click on "load your own" of course read it too inbetween. There's lots of 8mm ammo info. The orginal german 8mm round was more powerful than our 30-06 but the gun powder the germans used is no longer manufactured. I learned a lot on this site.

Here's another awesome site with lots of info about any topic too;

http://yarchive.net/home.html Plan on spending lots of time reading here. This site is like the big "whole Earth Book" but its on the net. It has any topic you can think of.

So get that cup of your favorite warm drink, put another log on the fire and sit down and do some awesome reading.
Enjoy, BB
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

daddydip
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 19320
eBay ID: 2001fltri
Tractors Owned: CC108
1948 farmall f cub
1955 farmall f cub
1955 international lo boy
1952 vai case
2005 236B Caterpillar
1999 TDI Jetta MK IV I like!
2008 H.D FLTRI

Re: Surplus Military Guns collecting/shooting/hunting

Postby daddydip » Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:29 pm

Thanks once again Big Bill, i wonder where you find the time. good links :big afro:
One Life , One Love , A Love Supreme

The only thing new is untold history, Harry Truman

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Tue Dec 15, 2009 5:25 pm

I have a couple old German bayonets, but only one gun. That is a WW2 German military Mauser that Dad brought back form WW2. A cousin did him a favor and sporterized it for dear hunting. He did a wonderful job and it looks great, but I wish it were still original.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby BigBill » Thu Dec 17, 2009 12:14 pm

First i been retired since 2002. At first i thought life was going to be boring or my life was over. Being retired is just the next chapter of our lives. One door closes and another one opens up so we do move on. I seen so many work past retirement until they die never enjoying there retirement at all. Being retired is awesome i get to go fishing, hunting play with my tractors if i feel up to it of course or i can sit and just chillout. There are no time clocks, no place to be at a certain time so were just free when we retire.

I have found lots of info on the internet by surfing for many hours. The internet is truely an information highway. There is a wealth of knowledge about every subject at our finger tips if we look for it. I do notice in my searches to change up the words or reword it sometimes so more info comes up on the same topic. All you have to do is to ask someone on the net on where to look for the info too if you can't find it. I try to list all the sights that have info. After all its winter and surfing the net can keep the cabin fever from setting in. Just remember to book mark or print out what your interested in so its not lost when you want to go back to it. I have also started files in my book marks too because i have so much book marked now. With the internet there i no reason for not knowing.... I wonder sometimes what the future of the internet holds for us because i'm sure we haven't hit the end of technology yet. I was lucky enough to work for a company who wanted to have the most educated workforce working for them and they taught us about the internet and how to use it. They kept the employees updated on the internet changes too.

A lot of collectors froun on military sporters but i don't. I have actually built military sporters from parts and receicers with wornout sewer pipe barrels. I purchased a german 98k with a sewer pipe barrel and replaced the barrel with a barrel in excellent/new condition that i paid $37 from http://www.e-gunparts.com I purchased a czech large ring barrel that went right into the german receiver and the headspace is exactly correct on the go gage and the bolt won't close on the no go gage (headspace) so the chamber is in the new position exactly. I did all the work myself. I have a perfect looking german 98k mauser thats even scoped with a 3 post military type scope. I built a Chilean 7mm mauser and a russian mosin this way too. Most of the time the total cost i under $150 and you have a fine example of a surplus military gun plus an awesome hunting rifle too.

With the igh cost of the surplus military sniper rifles i would hate to take them out in the woods hunting in any kind of weather.
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby BigBill » Fri Dec 18, 2009 1:08 pm

John *.?-!.* cub owner wrote:I have a couple old German bayonets, but only one gun. That is a WW2 German military Mauser that Dad brought back form WW2. A cousin did him a favor and sporterized it for dear hunting. He did a wonderful job and it looks great, but I wish it were still original.

The bayonets have been goiing up in prices too. They have become very collectable too. I been grabbing the affordable ones just to have some. But most of the surplus rifles come with there bayonets too. Some are even serial numbered to the gun.

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby BigBill » Fri Dec 18, 2009 1:15 pm

If i'm raising your interest in surplus military guns we have gun shows across our great country too. The best gun shows start in the fall and go thru the winter till spring. The rest of the year the gun shows are ok but not much stuff until the fall shows.

Here in the northest the BIG E Gun show is probably the biggest that we have in Springfield,Mass. There are gun shows in Vermont, Maine, New hampshire and in Connecticut too.

Here's some listings for shows that i have.

http://www.bigalsshows.com/

Or search for gunshows, or search for gun and knife shows.

The gun shows in the south and in the mid west are suppose to be awesome too.

Yogie
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 25271
eBay ID: yogiefisher
Tractors Owned: 37 John Deere A
63 Farmall Cub
53 Farmall Cub
56 Farmall Cub
IH 140
Massey 165 & 250
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Yogie » Sat Dec 26, 2009 11:53 pm

Bill, I have one of the Russian 1891/30 7.62x54R Mosin Nagant Rifle that I play with every once and a while.
Priced pretty reasonable too, I'd like to pick up a few more of the military rifles someday just to lay back but I don't have a chance to get out anywhere...
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

stkmantn
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 37185
Tractors Owned: 45 Farmall H 49 Cub 51 Cub

Postby stkmantn » Sun Dec 27, 2009 10:30 pm

I love those old Mosin rifles but for deer I alway grab my old M1 Garand.

Yogie
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 25271
eBay ID: yogiefisher
Tractors Owned: 37 John Deere A
63 Farmall Cub
53 Farmall Cub
56 Farmall Cub
IH 140
Massey 165 & 250
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Yogie » Sun Dec 27, 2009 11:03 pm

stkmantn wrote:I love those old Mosin rifles but for deer I alway grab my old M1 Garand.

I'd love to shoot one of those just one time... The amo that came with the Mosin rifle has a delay in the firing, kind of makes it funner when just plinking. :lol:
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

stkmantn
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 37185
Tractors Owned: 45 Farmall H 49 Cub 51 Cub

Postby stkmantn » Tue Dec 29, 2009 10:38 am

Winchester started making new 7.62x54R rounds a couple of years ago but I don't know if they still offer it. I got a couple hundered rounds of boxer primed S&B for my Mosins years ago but with the ammo shortage I don't know if you can even find that now.

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby BigBill » Tue Dec 29, 2009 2:20 pm

The winchester "metric" 7,62x54r ammo is actually manufactured by Sellier & Bellot. Its good ammo and the brass is awesome for reloading too.

http://www.wideners.com has the russian barnaul 7,62x54r ammo thats a 203gr soft point for under $7 a box of 20.

The power of the 7,62x54r round is between the 308win and the 30-06 but more closer to the '06.

spiveyman
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 29644

Postby spiveyman » Tue Dec 29, 2009 8:39 pm

I enjoyed your link to the mausers, Bigbill. I love all of the various mauser rifles - they're pretty neat. My grandpa left me an old Czech VZ-24 . I love it. Never did like it much as a deer rifle - those iron sights are near impossible to see through unless you are in BROAD daylight, but it sure does mean a lot to me. I did take a doe with it a few seasons ago, but my grandpa past away before he could see me take a deer with it. :(
Andrew Spivey

"What doesn't kill you makes you stronger." - Friedrich Nietzsche

'49 Cub.....(Mr. Cub)

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby BigBill » Sun Jan 03, 2010 4:37 am

spiveyman wrote:I enjoyed your link to the mausers, Bigbill. I love all of the various mauser rifles - they're pretty neat. My grandpa left me an old Czech VZ-24 . I love it. Never did like it much as a deer rifle - those iron sights are near impossible to see through unless you are in BROAD daylight, but it sure does mean a lot to me. I did take a doe with it a few seasons ago, but my grandpa past away before he could see me take a deer with it. :(

Is the VZ-24 8mm mauser or in 7mm mauser? Both are awesome rounds. The 7mm mauser is one of the flatest shooting rounds there is. For better sights that you can see you can get some glow paint for gun sights. They come in white, green and red. You can paint by putting alittle dab of whiteon the front sight and two dabs of green on the rear sight (right & left side) this way you can see when there lined up in low light condition.

I believe that www.aimsurplus.com is offering the vz-24 rifle right now. There were a few model upgrades on the vz-24, 24 actually means 1924 is when it was first manufactured, then it was upgraded to (model) 24/47 which means the 24 was redone in 1947. Then again in 24/52c which means in 1952. I'm guessing the "C" means the third model of the vz-24.

The mosin is very similair too. The 91/30 means model 1891 and its reworked in 1930. There is also a cut down version of the 91/30 its called the 91/59 yup it was done in 1959. Theres a M38(1938) mosin and a M44(1944) too. The 91/59, the M38 and the M44 all have short carbine barrels. Each one is a tad different. The cut down 91/59 has the rear site milled on the long distance yardage that the longer barrel had. The M38 has a totally new rear site. The M44 has the side swinging bayonet. Its accurate with the bayonet extended but it can be made accurate again with the bayonet removed by bedding the stock and resighting it in. These shorter barrels are flame throwers with the 7,62x54r round.

spiveyman
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 29644

Postby spiveyman » Sun Jan 03, 2010 12:56 pm

The VZ-24 is chambered for 8mm. I thought about doing a dab of paint, but I really think I'll just leave it alone. All the parts are original, and all numbers match. I would like to leave it that way - it is completely unmolested and one of the few I've seen that haven't been refinished / outfitted with replacement parts. Mine was made in 1936 if you decode all the stamps beside the bolt. I knew about the "24" meaning 1924. VZ is short for "vzor" which means "model", therefore "model 24". I am not familiar with the "C". I don't know what that means.
Andrew Spivey

"What doesn't kill you makes you stronger." - Friedrich Nietzsche

'49 Cub.....(Mr. Cub)

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby BigBill » Tue Jan 05, 2010 6:09 pm

I figure the paint on the sights can always be removed too.

A while back i picked up a VZ52 thats a czech semi auto rifle in 7,62x45 czech. I never shot it yet but maybe soon. The surplus ammo is very rare. At some point these became the VZ52/57 i believe and they were recalibered to 7,62x39 russian.

My problem is I like all the surplus military guns.

Before i got a few surplus military guns i thought my eyes were going bad so most of my hunting rifles have scopes. It wasn't until i shot my very first swede mauser at the local range is when i found out that my eyes were still good. I benchrested the 1907 swede m96 mauser at 100yds using seller & bellot 139gr ammo. I was shooting 1 1/2" groups when the SWAT guys near me came over to see what i was shooting when they seen my target. I told them it was a 100 year old swedish mauser. They told me that they had scoped rifles that couldn't shoot that good as they walked away shaking there heads in disbelief. Don't under estimate these old war horses because they can be accurate too. Its funny i can see the other shooters cringe when i walk up with my old militay iron. Then when they see my targets its a whole new story.

Return to “Farm Life and Better Half Forum”