This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Member Garden's for 2010 Season(pics. & vids.)

Farming and rural life discussion forum. Cooking, hunting, gardening, fishing, critters, etc.
SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61722

Re: Member Garden's for 2010 Season(pics. & vids.)

Postby SONNY » Wed Jul 14, 2010 10:21 am

First pickin of purple pod beans.

Harvest bowl full of beans.

After you cook these they turn green and taste just like their green bros.----more of a novelity than anything else---kinda interesting to grow.
Started picking the greenbeans and waiting for the plants to dry off so we can do the second picking. thanks; sonny

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

vdeal
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 26542
Tractors Owned: Case 1290
BCS 720 Harvester

Postby vdeal » Fri Jul 16, 2010 1:49 pm

Well, I think we caught up with some of you guys. I've had green beans for 3 weeks now (I had an early planting). Two nights ago I harvested Swiss chard and kohlrabi and starting to pull out the garlic. I'll have broccoli in a few days. BTW, we had a tremendous rain Tuesday evening with 3.4 inches with 2 inches in about an hour. Absolutely no damage since I use raised beds and extensive mulching. It's taken years to get to this point but it pays off in times like these.
"If America could be, once again, a nation of self-reliant farmers, craftsmen, hunters, ranchers, and artists, then the rich would have little power to dominate others. Neither to serve nor to rule:That was the American dream." -- Edward Abbey

SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby SONNY » Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:57 pm

There was a discussion earlier this year about cornfield beans.---here are some pics from our test.
This is a close-up showing pods

I planted the chicken corn,(regular field corn) then after about a week I planted Missouri Wonder Pole beans spaced 3 feet apart in the outside corn row.--This is what they have done so far, at times the beans were above the corn, but now there about the same height (8 feet) and still growing! --I wouldnt try it in spindly or short stalked sweet corn,---dont think it would hold up.---also dont plant beans any closer than the 3 foot seed spacing, or it could make it difficult to pick the beans, plus they would starve for moisture! thanks; sonny

SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby SONNY » Thu Jul 22, 2010 1:18 am

We had to pick our peaches today because the bugs were going after them right and left!--could have stayed on the tree a few more days, but then they all would have been destroyed!

They are good tasting !--bad part is that they are cling type! thanks; sonny

dirtyred
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 31648
Tractors Owned: 1949 farmall cub (tinkerbell) 1949 allis chalmers(ole bess) 1949-50 ?john deere model a

Postby dirtyred » Thu Jul 22, 2010 7:20 pm

i planted pole beans with sweet corn didnt work worth a toot :(
He that tilleth his land shall be satisfied with bread: Proverbs 12:11

SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby SONNY » Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:23 pm

From our test it looks like the beans need a single stalk to climb up.---the problem with sweet corn is that it has the suckers at the bottom and beans pile up down there instead of climbing up to the top, and will pull the sweet corn stalks over, where as field corn is tall and straight! thanks; sonny

SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby SONNY » Sun Jul 25, 2010 11:20 pm

Getting close to harvest!

Jacobs Cattle Beans!

These will be canned in jars, pressure cooked, the put in the basement for later soup fixins!
A few will go in the freezer at this stage for testing as to see if they hold up to freezing!
I will keep a few for seed and dry them down to safe storage level like I do the other seed beans! thanks; sonny

SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby SONNY » Mon Jul 26, 2010 12:02 am

Here are some of the peaches from the tree!

We made a few jars of pickled peaches and gave the rest away! (had 6 big buckets full from the little tree!)---We have several jars of regular peaches in the basement from last year! thanks; sonny

SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby SONNY » Mon Jul 26, 2010 12:13 am

Did a couple quarts of the plums that this tree had on it this year!---Will do more as they turn ripe!

We can them as sweet fruit, and they look good!---taste good fresh too! thanks; sonny

highway
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 03280
Tractors Owned: 1975 Famall cub, Fasthitch, Farmall Disc, land plow

Postby highway » Thu Jul 29, 2010 5:59 am

I am dissapointed in my potato patch this year. Looks like a cas of heat stress and early blight. It has killed one whole row of plants and is working on another.

I just planted another 45 LBS of seed last week and hope to salvage some for the winter. Lets hope for a late frost in the North East.

Here is a video of the patch in mid July. Since this video I have lost a 100 ft row completly. It seems the Kenebeck taters faired better than the other types so that is what I replanted. According to our Cooperative Extension, we have no cases of Late Blight in New Hampshire. I have dusted the rest of the plants with copper and hope it will help.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2EVhOBZ-FL4

Hope all is well with you.

ED
Fletcher family farm
1975 Farmall Cub, Fasthitch, IH Disc, Plow Chief LF-194, McCormick Deering Model 100 Spreader

SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby SONNY » Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:47 pm

We planted all the leftover spuds from last year a couple weeks ago, in hopes of another small harvest from them!---Our main problem here is BUGS!!! ---I have been digging a few early planted spuds at a time in between trying to fight bugs and weeds!----Flood waters hurt my crop really bad, but there will still be enough for us this winter!
SWEETCORN!!!----ready now! got 2 kinds and so far it is fairly decent.---I wasn't able to help pollinate it, ( I was down flat with my spine), but it still did about 90 percent during that hot part of the month!----NOW, to find homes for the stuff after I grew it!! thanks; sonny

P. S.---How are the rest of you guys doing with your gardens ?---Don't be shy,---Hop in and tell us whats up!---Thanks!

SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby SONNY » Sun Aug 08, 2010 7:34 pm

Got the rest of the spuds dug!---used the digger on the last 3 rows,---put a real tractor on the digger (IH 404) and dug them in no time,--didnt mess around with a cub on it this year!
404 and digger

Should have put this tractor on it long ago!

We have picked and shelled some of the cornfield beans, also a few of the black turtle soup beans,(they make good chilie but are a little tasteless by them selves
lack of rain right now, and the heat is burning the gardens up, so may not get much else from them.----cant water anything here!
The big cherry tomatoes are starting to ripen 1 crop and thats all---no big toms, they are still small and green.
Melons and squash did have some good looking fruit set, but vines are burning up for lack of rain, so I dont expect them to do much!---thats about it for this report!
How are you guys doing in your gardens??? thanks; sonny

Buzzard Wing
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02840

Postby Buzzard Wing » Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:23 am

Asparagus is long eaten, but getting a few tomatoes and the carrots are edible size (not as sweet as I like). Rabbits have taken to the brussel sprout leaves, I will plan some more anyway.

Very dry around here, what rain happens is in thunder storms and very localized. It will pour in places and a mile away nothing. City water is wicked expensive, so for the most part I let God do the watering.
1971 Cub (Rufus) 1950 Cub (Cathy) 1965 Lo Boy Fast Hitch (Nameless III) 1970 Cub 1000 Loader & Fast Hitch (Lee)

bob in CT
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 06040
Tractors Owned: 77 Cub (red); 74 Cub; 52 Cub; 50 Cub ( post-demo)
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby bob in CT » Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:50 am

Picking "Incredible" corn and it is very sweet. The Silver Queen is approaching 8 feet tall and the ears are growing. Peaches & Cream was a late planting with some seed given to me and that will be ready in a couple of weeks. Fortunately, my corn is only 100 feet away from my barn spigot and I was able to water all five 100 foot rows just in the nick of time with my soaker hose. The corn really took off after that.

Tomatoes are great- very healthy this year after losing them all last year to blight.

I have some huge butternut squash this year that love all the sun and the heat. last year we picked a few but they were terrible. Not enough heat and sun to ripen. What a difference a year makes. Again they need to be irrigated or the crop would fail. I don't think I have had an inch of rain since May and we had the hottest July in the last 105 years. Last year we did not have a single 90 degree day in July.

Blueberries were so-so but I did get enough for some great pies made my my mother. I didn't think we would get any after a hard freeze during a very early blossom.

SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby SONNY » Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:36 pm

Thanks for the reports, guys!---sounds like we all need some rain!---we get lightning and thunder overhead but never any rain from it!---weird to say the least!!!
Neck pumpkins
late planted sweet tato rows
Australian buttercup squash
Wilted neck pumpkin vines
Fred beans ready to pick and shell then can them
Muskmelon!!!---had it for supper!---first one !
Things dont look the greatest, but we struggle along with what we get! thanks; sonny

Return to “Farm Life and Better Half Forum”