This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Member Garden's for 2010 Season(pics. & vids.)

Farming and rural life discussion forum. Cooking, hunting, gardening, fishing, critters, etc.
Dirtdoc74
Cub Star!
Cub Star!
Zip Code: 47037

Re: Member Garden's for 2010 Season(pics. & vids.)

Postby Dirtdoc74 » Wed May 26, 2010 9:01 pm

Boy I'm getting behind the schedule. Strawberries to pick, spinach to harvest, tators to hill, sweet corn to sidedress, along with cabbage,broccoli, and cauliflower need a shot of N. I did get another patch of sweet corn cultivated tonight. And I still have 3 acres to plant pumpkin, more tomato's, peppers, green beans, and the list just seems to grow. Now after work I only have about 1.5 hours of sunlight left. Anybody else in my perdicament? Greg :?

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61722

Postby SONNY » Wed May 26, 2010 9:04 pm

10-4 ---know the feelin!---I get rained out every time I get a tiller out of the shed, BUT getting some late stuff planted!!--weeds are my biggest problem right now!
been pickin strawberries every day now for several days and have over 7or8 gallons so far!---nice berries this year!---VOLES and birds destroying a lot of them too! thanks; sonny

SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby SONNY » Thu May 27, 2010 10:11 pm

Here are a few pics. of the berries!

This is a sample of the crop so far,---(over 100 pounds of them),--and still pickin as long as they keep puttin them on! thanks; sonny

SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby SONNY » Thu May 27, 2010 10:27 pm

And here are a couple pics. of this years 5 rows of spuds over a hundred feet long!
This was a down the row pic. taken yesterday,---BUT today they have totally filled in the rows after last nights .3 of rain and wind!
This was a cross row pic. near the center of the patch!
And this is the garlic that was planted last November and made it unscratched thru the winter!

Got the late onion sets planted today,--a little wet but may get wetter, so I sneaked them in!
Got 1 row of the new berries weeded and found some nice big berries in there!--got 4 more rows of them to weed, too!
After planting the chicken corn, I planted the Missouri Wonder pole beans(old tyme cornfield bean) in the outside row!
Sweet corn is sprouted!
Now have 16 total different kinds of beans this year as a test to see what does the best here!(already know the red Fred beans are tops)thanks; sonny

SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby SONNY » Thu May 27, 2010 10:35 pm

A couple more pics!
THIS was supposed to catch VOLES not toads!
Yum-Yum tree!

The nectarine tree planted last fall has set several fruits on it and I hope a couple make it to get ripe!---the peaches this year have a fair crop set despite the late freezes we had here! thanks; sonny

bob in CT
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 06040
Tractors Owned: 77 Cub (red); 74 Cub; 52 Cub; 50 Cub ( post-demo)
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby bob in CT » Fri May 28, 2010 4:50 pm

I planted 200 feet of Silver Queen corn today by hand. Four plantings in this patch with 3 different kinds of seed and tight rows, only 30 inches. Not sure how long I will be able to cultivate with the Gravely before it grows in. I'm experimenting. I have the old toolbar cultivator attachment and may try that later in the season.
I just finished installing my planter and will be planting sunflowers tomorrow and using my side dresser for the first time. I'll probably plant some more corn too.

shiggy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61776
Tractors Owned: '47 F Cub
'53 H
'66 140

Postby shiggy » Fri May 28, 2010 9:07 pm

thought I would share this with you guys. I started a little blog about our life out here on our farm. It's not much, but our family and friends seem to like it.

http://www.mckinneyfarms.com

I still am working on parts of the site. I rarely post in here, but thought I would share. I usually stop in here once a day checking on the "Gardening" discussions.

sonny - I have been driving by your taters for over a week now. I am part of the road crew working on the road out in front, well west of your place. Nice looking taters.

-shiggy

tractordad
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 01516
Tractors Owned: 48 Cub w/ IH C2 mower
50 High wide "demo" cub with dual fertilizer hoppers
51 high wide cub w/474 planter
62 High wide cub w/ fast hitch
72 High wide w/cultivators
75 Red Long stripe w/fast hitch & C2 mower
76 Red long stripe w/IH 1000 loader & duals
77 long stripe with IH C2 belly mower
55 Super AV w/cultivators
56 Super AV
57 130 High crop w/cultivators
1 IH 574 w IH 2250
quick hitch loader

Postby tractordad » Sat May 29, 2010 12:15 pm

Wow Sunny, Strawberries look great!

SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby SONNY » Sat May 29, 2010 8:46 pm

The strawberries TASTE great too!!LOL!!----Picked 2 more bowls of berries today!
Shiggy!!!---Stop in after work and tour the rest of the gardens!---Not all of them are visible from the road, and visitors are always welcome here!
Did get most of the remaining gardens tilled up again, so that will make it rain here! thanks; sonny

Dirtdoc74
Cub Star!
Cub Star!
Zip Code: 47037

Postby Dirtdoc74 » Sun May 30, 2010 6:33 am

Made progress today. Had 4 hours of sunlight after work today. Cultivated and hilled potato's and sweet corn. Saw that my watermelon was growing. Never grew them before so either the weeds are growing in a straight line where I planted or their my melons. lol. Worked down several more patches that will be planted to green bean, more tomato's,peppers, ect..
Question for all you experts. I want a batch of sweet corn for Labor day. It is a 85 day variety. So by my calculation they should be planted by June 15. What do you folks think?...Greg

ScottyD'sdad
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02769
Tractors Owned: 6"F" cubs
5 lo-boys
1 154
1 184
1 IH444
1 Oliver OC3 crawler
1 AC D10
1 IH 100 manure spreader
1 IH model B corn grinder
3 power units
cub demonstrator

Postby ScottyD'sdad » Sun May 30, 2010 6:43 am

DirtDoc wrote:Made progress today. Had 4 hours of sunlight after work today. Cultivated and hilled potato's and sweet corn. Saw that my watermelon was growing. Never grew them before so either the weeds are growing in a straight line where I planted or their my melons. lol. Worked down several more patches that will be planted to green bean, more tomato's,peppers, ect..
Question for all you experts. I want a batch of sweet corn for Labor day. It is a 85 day variety. So by my calculation they should be planted by June 15. What do you folks think?...Greg

Sweet corn maturity date is an estimate. Corn requires a certain number of "degree days" to mature. Temperature, during the growing season, actually dictates the maturity. Ed
Member of Chapter 18, and National
Circle of Safety

SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby SONNY » Sun May 30, 2010 8:32 am

The hot/dry weather is going to slow down the maturity of all newly/late planted crops. Corn planted mid June will probably get destroyed by the insects unless you stand all day with a sprayer in your hands (with insect spray in it).

Our sweetcorn which is just up right now faces a long hard row to hoe because of the insects and the heat that is coming (which turns corn off). We estimate it will be ready to harvest around Labor Day, if it makes anything at all.

thanks;sonny

SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby SONNY » Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:25 pm

Here are some new pics. as of today, what things look like here!
This is part of the big bean test area!
2 blueberry plants have a few berries on them
The cranberry plant is blooming!
Garbanzo bean plants
Virginias happy apple tree!
2 rows of late onions
new spuds!
more new spuds!
2 Rows of Fred beans!
North Star pie cherry tree!

These pics were just taken before dark monday night! thanks;sonny

shiggy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61776
Tractors Owned: '47 F Cub
'53 H
'66 140

Postby shiggy » Fri Jun 11, 2010 9:04 pm

Sonny - Drove by your place today, looks like your taters are browning up nicely. What date did you get them in the ground? You'll see my potatoes on my site, few postings above. My All Blue and All Red taters are starting to bloom nicely. Planted 1300 feet of taters this year, 13 inches plant spacing. I wish I could stop by, but I work for the County and these days that would look very bad seeing a County truck pull into a driveway. You never know who is watching. I always glance at your place to see if you are out and about, usually in the morning, but never see ya. Maybe one day this year I'll meet ya. We will probably be out on that road most of the summer. I am a bladehand, so if you see a motor grader out there, stop and say hi.

-shiggy

SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby SONNY » Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:53 pm

I dont get outside real early,---takes a while to get my body joints workin so I can get around!---I can see a couple graders and the Athey from the gardens during the day.---Will have to figure which grader you run!!

We planted our spuds on Good Friday, this year and they are now in the maturing mode!---We have early red norland, red pontiac, yukongold, kenebec . ---about only 750 feet this year.---2 years ago we had over 1800 feet of them, and couldnt give them away, so this year we cut back on the amount of everything because I cant take care of that much! thanks; sonny

Return to “Farm Life and Better Half Forum”