This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Re-introduction of wolves...

Farming and rural life discussion forum. Cooking, hunting, gardening, fishing, critters, etc.
vtwarthog
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: -----------------------
63 IH cub lo-boy,
74 IH 154 w/3pt & creeper
72 IH 454 diesel w/loader

Re-introduction of wolves...

Postby vtwarthog » Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:59 pm

When we went to Kenora Ontario last November I was told they had a healthy wolf pobulation with many in the 160-170 lb range. i thought they must be exaggerating. I did hear a few around by blind but did not see any. BUT Here is a quote from an article my son sent me.

This wolf was recently shot in Drayton Valley, Alberta, which is near Edmonton. The wolf weighed over 230 lbs smashing the previous record of 175 lbs. Wouldn’t want to run into this puppy in the woods. Apparently a bear hunter witnessed this wolf chase off a big black bear at his baiting station.

The article is located at http://westchesterbowhunting.wordpress. ... wolf-kill/
Paul Allard

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

spiveyman
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 29644

Re: Re-introduction of wolves...

Postby spiveyman » Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:43 pm

:big what: Wow, what a monster.
Andrew Spivey

"What doesn't kill you makes you stronger." - Friedrich Nietzsche

'49 Cub.....(Mr. Cub)

Song
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Song » Thu Jan 21, 2010 5:36 pm

That thing is huge.

dirtyred
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 31648
Tractors Owned: 1949 farmall cub (tinkerbell) 1949 allis chalmers(ole bess) 1949-50 ?john deere model a

Postby dirtyred » Thu Jan 21, 2010 8:00 pm

:censored: that looks like one of them wolves off the "NEW MOON" movie ! wouldnt want to have to tangle with that
He that tilleth his land shall be satisfied with bread: Proverbs 12:11

vtwarthog
10+ Years
10+ Years
Tractors Owned: -----------------------
63 IH cub lo-boy,
74 IH 154 w/3pt & creeper
72 IH 454 diesel w/loader

Postby vtwarthog » Fri Jan 22, 2010 4:00 pm

I feel more comfortable sharing the woods with coyotes or bear than wolves. Wolves definitely sound different that coyotes but they also seem more stealthy.
I heard them behind me cleaning up a gut pile form the previous evening. Ontario had a good size population of wolves, and bald eagles and they can make quite a racket cleaning up a gut pile. By 8 AM it was all cleaned up and quiet but at 10am I heard a howl approximately 40 yrds behind me. He kept it up once every 5 minutes for 30 minutes or so, then quiet for an hour and another howl 40 yards in front of me across a logging road. I never saw he/them move over the road but it felt like they knew I was in the area. I'm gonna get an extra clip.
Paul Allard

grumpy
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 15522
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby grumpy » Fri Jan 22, 2010 7:24 pm

Is that thing for real.?? Can't imagine someone picking something up that high considering what it would weigh. Maybe i've just gotten used to picking up too many 12 ounce cans :-) Grump
David Dee Mock-Leonard

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

Some days it's not worth chewing through the restraints

RUSSALL
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 19344

Postby RUSSALL » Fri Jan 22, 2010 7:33 pm

Looks like Photo Shop.

Russ
1979 International Cub (Artie),193 plow,22 sickle mower,144 cultivator,54a blade,59" belly mower,wheel weights
1944 John Deere B , A-3 B-3 two way plow.....Grandpa's Deere,Still can't find his FARMALL A

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby BigBill » Sat Jan 23, 2010 7:15 pm

I don't like wolves, yotes and mountainlions.

I seen my neighbor in VT show up with a large yote draped across the rear rack of a honda quad. It looked rather odd because it was so large, larger than the normal yote. It hung off both sides of the quad. I said its a wolf right away. Of course everyone laughed at me. Later on i read on the net about the canadian wolves crossing the frozen nothern New York boder into the US and there interbreeding with our yotes making a much larger yote/wolf type animal. And there making there way down thru the northeast US. So if you ever see a larger yote in Vt its one of these hybreds. I have also had encounters with the mountainlions(catamounts) in Vt too. Lets say i never sleep in my stands anymore. Stay alert too and i also watch the wildlife on the ground too there like an alarm system in the wilds(chipmunks). When they stop and just stare look slowly at the direction there looking in. I have seen bears walk in at this time when i see them freeze and just stare.

BTW; When i have no chipmunks at my camp there's a fisher around. Thats a warning too. I always feed the chipmunks captian crunch peanut butter cereal so i know when there gone.
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.

daddydip
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 19320
eBay ID: 2001fltri
Tractors Owned: CC108
1948 farmall f cub
1955 farmall f cub
1955 international lo boy
1952 vai case
2005 236B Caterpillar
1999 TDI Jetta MK IV I like!
2008 H.D FLTRI

Postby daddydip » Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:36 am

I followed the links and read as much as i could about that animal and conclude that if i saw it i would have killed it. no way i would be willing to share my space with a killing machine like that. i don't question if it's real or not ,do to the fact that even if it's weight was 50lb. less it would have to go.
One Life , One Love , A Love Supreme

The only thing new is untold history, Harry Truman

grumpy
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 15522

Postby grumpy » Sun Jan 24, 2010 7:53 pm

Thats a fact for sure Michael. shoot, shovel and shut up. Actually I wouldn't shut up :-)
David Dee Mock-Leonard

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

Some days it's not worth chewing through the restraints

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby BigBill » Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:17 pm

My son and his girlfreind stayed out side at my camp with the camp fire going playing kissy, kissy, huggy huggy when the first yote ran by. Soon after there were two yotes going by, then the whole pack was circling my camp a few at a time as the fire went lower. Luckily they made there way inside my trailer. But it could of gone bad too. If the misses wasn't there I would of taken a few out.

As these things are multiplying there getting bolder making more and more contact with humans.
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.

Return to “Farm Life and Better Half Forum”