This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Hey Sonny, tell me how to lay off rows with my cub

Farming and rural life discussion forum. Cooking, hunting, gardening, fishing, critters, etc.
Big Mike
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 75785
eBay ID: gus6037

Hey Sonny, tell me how to lay off rows with my cub

Postby Big Mike » Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:31 pm

Presently I'm thinking that if I put a plow behind each rear wheel, make a pass, then place the rear wheel in the furrow I can open the rows, add chicken litter then put my disc hillers on the extensions on the front gangs, throw up some rows, put sweeps behind the rear wheels and start planting. Am I anywhere close to how it should be done?
1950 Cub Demonstrator (painted red)
Mahindra 6500FWD
1959 Willys Truck
1969 Jeep CJ5
F250 Ford King Ranch 6.7L diesel
2000 Chevrolet Z 71
1964 Massey 135
1953 Super A
Two or three chickens
One lazy tomcat
Lifetime NRA member

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61722

Re: Hey Sonny, tell me how to lay off rows with my cub

Postby SONNY » Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:57 pm

Your idea should work.----if just making seed rows only, (depending on soil type and conditions), you could put 1 sweep in the center of the tractor on the cultivator(if you have/can get a short square bar to go across the beams) and make first pass then run back wheel in same track going back marking second row.--this would give clearance for several cultivations before the plants got too big and the cub will still straddle the rows without doing any damage to the other rows.
seed rows need to be shallow, a couple inches is plenty,---I just go deep enough to get seed onto moist firm ground, then dont cover with more than a couple inches of soil.
Soil types work differently in different parts of the country.---also it makes a difference if soil is fine or really cloddy, etc.---climate, hot/dry/cold wet,will affect the germination of the seeds themselves. thanks; sonny

Big Mike
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 75785
eBay ID: gus6037

Re: Hey Sonny, tell me how to lay off rows with my cub

Postby Big Mike » Thu Feb 04, 2010 5:53 pm

Thanks Sonny, I knew you'd have an idea. My soil is sandy loam. Since I have no way of mounting a plow in the center (my extensions on the front gang won't quite reach the center) I think I'll try my approach with the plows then disc hillers on the extensions. I'll be throwing up rows for potatoes first and will hopefully learn enough to make the others work out. Thanks and good luck with your garden.
1950 Cub Demonstrator (painted red)
Mahindra 6500FWD
1959 Willys Truck
1969 Jeep CJ5
F250 Ford King Ranch 6.7L diesel
2000 Chevrolet Z 71
1964 Massey 135
1953 Super A
Two or three chickens
One lazy tomcat
Lifetime NRA member

Return to “Farm Life and Better Half Forum”