This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Field of Beans (If You Plant it, They Will Come)

Farming and rural life discussion forum. Cooking, hunting, gardening, fishing, critters, etc.
Virginia Mike
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 24095
Tractors Owned: '49 Cub
'49 JD "B"
'79 JD 2040
'50 DB "Garden Tractor"
'52 DB "Super Power"
'56 DB "Big 5"
'62 DB "Super 600"
'37 McCormick Deering "LA" engine

Field of Beans (If You Plant it, They Will Come)

Postby Virginia Mike » Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:19 am

I have just finished planting 1/2 acre of black-eyed peas and black beans using my Cub and Cole 12 planter.
I use this as my deer plot. They wiped me out when I grew them for food, so now I use beans to attract deer for food.
The commercial food plot seed has become expensive. I use black-eyed peas and black beans from the grocery. the come up fine, and although they are probaly hybrid, they serve my purpose well.
Happy Hunting!
Best,
Mike
Tractors are made to work!
"A Cub will do as much as a team of horses,.. More in hot weather!" - C. W. Spradlin 1909-1994

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Field of Beans (If You Plant it, They Will Come)

Postby Don McCombs » Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:52 am

We need pictures of your food plots when they come up. :D
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Re: Field of Beans (If You Plant it, They Will Come)

Postby BigBill » Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:34 pm

About 75% of my crops are for deer and wildlife right now. One night me and my wife Pat watched a mother, a father and two baby racoons come out of the bottom land across the street and into my front lawn and headed towards Pats garden. Since it was a saturdaynite i figured there going out to eat at Pats garden. They were fun to watch.

My strawberries, my blueberries are gone already. I don't have much in blueberries yet but they did eat what i had. The strawberries we got bowels full of them but i let the wildlfe have some too.

My point is someday if something really bad happens and we need meat at least i know what they been eaten.

I planted clover for the deer about 3 years ago and finally its growing. I did thatch the field this year three times to get the dead stuff out. Maybe that woke up the clover. I'm finally getting grass to spread on its own too. I need to plant more food plot stuff for deer.

My apple, peach and pear trees are doing great with all the rain were having. I may have fruit by next year i hope. The apples should keep the bear nearby too.
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.

Return to “Farm Life and Better Half Forum”