This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Onions

Farming and rural life discussion forum. Cooking, hunting, gardening, fishing, critters, etc.
wfmdfm
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 02346
Tractors Owned: .
1947 Circle Cub #1110
1947 Circle Cub #1316
1948 Cub #43915
1966 Power King
189 two way Plow
54A Blade
144 Cultivator
26 ft Welcraft
1967 Case 530ck Backhoe

Onions

Postby wfmdfm » Sun Jun 13, 2010 6:17 pm

I planted onions from seed this year for the first time. I guess maybe I should have started them inside. I planted in early May and nothing came up so I replanted at the end of May. I now have very small grass like plants coming up. They seem very slow to grow and I fear cultivating near them as they are so small. I have been hoeing the rows to try and keep things in line but I will soon need to use the Cub. My question is are they usually this slow from seed? These are Coral Onions and should be a fall harvest and good for storing.My onion Bulbs are doing great as usual but these are a summer onion and don't store well. Sonny??
Wally

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

bob in CT
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 06040
Tractors Owned: 77 Cub (red); 74 Cub; 52 Cub; 50 Cub ( post-demo)
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Onions

Postby bob in CT » Sun Jun 13, 2010 7:12 pm

Onions are very slow to germinate. 2 weeks is not unusual. I now start my leeks in flats so they can go in a little larger. makes it a lot easier to cultivate. They love lots of nitrogen.

Bill Hudson
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 44057
Tractors Owned: 57 F-Cub - Dad & Mom's Cub
77 F-Cub - Red Long Stripe

Postby Bill Hudson » Sun Jun 13, 2010 7:36 pm

Wally,

Take a look at some of these resources on onion production:
http://www.ext.colostate.edu/ptlk/1808.html
http://ohioline.osu.edu/hyg-fact/1000/1616.html
http://www.extension.umn.edu/distribution/horticulture/m1253.html

I hope this helps. If you have other questions, please ask.

Bill
Bill

"The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop." Edwin Conklin, biologist

Member of Ohio Chapter #6

SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61722

Postby SONNY » Sun Jun 13, 2010 10:08 pm

Regretful to say,---ya ,they are VERY slow to germinate and even slower growing!---the problem that I found with seed is that even after it grows, the tops die off at the normal time,--(end of July here), and the bulbs are quite small,--about the size of sets that you buy in early spring!---some will be a bit bigger than that but not many.

To start them indoors it needs to be done in Feb. and even then they dont do well here,--others in other areas may have good luck with them, but we dont.

When they first come up the leaves are folded double and as they grow bigger the leaves unfold and stand up like a corn plant!---they are a VERY touchy time consuming crop from seed.---I only use plants IF I can get them or sets if thats all I can get!---Did the seed thing 2 years as a test and both times were a failure for me! thanks ; sonny

v w
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49053

Postby v w » Thu Jun 17, 2010 9:27 am

I start all my onions from seed. Seed gives more choices and low cost. I start them the 1st of March for planting outside May 10th. Or so. I sow as thinly as possible in an old plant flat. Be sure the seed is fresh. I will not use seed from even the previous year. My onions are a foot high now. I live in sw MI and our average frost free date is 5-11 but onions will take some cold. This year I have Burgermaster (red) onion, yellow spanish onion, candy onion and shallots. Don't give up on seed. Start early. They transplant easy. Don't worry too much about depth when transplanting. The onion will bulb where it wants to anyway. Vern

Return to “Farm Life and Better Half Forum”