This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Garden Pests

Farming and rural life discussion forum. Cooking, hunting, gardening, fishing, critters, etc.
Marion(57 Loboy)
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1957 International Cub Loboy; C-3 finish mower; L-54 blade; L-F194 plow incl coulter and jointer;L-38 disk harrow. Leinbach FH back blade.
Circle of Safety: Y

Garden Pests

Postby Marion(57 Loboy) » Mon Aug 30, 2010 8:58 am

This year we took the sod off a spot in the back yard (12'x20') and put in a small garden.
We didn't amend the soil, but most stuff grew ok.
The spagetti squash really took off, and there are 18 nice squash to pick.
Trouble is, I see the vine borers showed up. Too late to save the vines.
I plan on disposing of the entire plants later today, but want to know what I should do to kill any eggs/larva/pupa that may be in the dirt.
Also, has anyone had success with spraying plants with Sevin?

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Billy Fussell
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 75959

Re: Garden Pests

Postby Billy Fussell » Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:33 am

I have had good results with dusting the plants with 10% Sevin when the pests show up. Have never used liquid Seven but should be just as effective. As to treating the soil, I have not ever done that so I can't be of help.

Billy

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:43 am

Read this, Marion...

http://www.ca.uky.edu/entomology/entfacts/ef314.asp

As far as what to do now...

Burn the residue as soon as you harvest the squash. You might try covering the patch with black plastic sheeting. That may cook some of the remaining larvae & pupae. It won't hurt with the weeds, either. :D
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Mon Aug 30, 2010 3:54 pm

I don't use dust anymore due to it being carried back to bee hives. i do use SEVEN spray in evening after blooms close up. Next spring, use a preventive s0pray schedule in the spring. A very few squash bugs come out of the ground in the spring and bore into the young vines and lay their eggs. Once those hatch you are in serious trouble, so it is best to kill the adults that lay eggs in spring before they have the chance.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Marion(57 Loboy)
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1957 International Cub Loboy; C-3 finish mower; L-54 blade; L-F194 plow incl coulter and jointer;L-38 disk harrow. Leinbach FH back blade.

Postby Marion(57 Loboy) » Tue Aug 31, 2010 12:16 pm

Thanks for the tips guys.
I haven't seen any squash bugs in the garden, only the vine borer moth and the telltale signs of borer plant invasion on the spagetti squash vines and leaves.
I'll have to really get on it and stay on it next year.

SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61722

Postby SONNY » Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:22 pm

I use all kinds of the Sevin wannabee stuff, Max is a good one too, malathion is another, alternate the kinds so the bugs dont adapt to the use of only one kind of spray! (keeps them guessing as to whats being dumped on them)! thanks; sonny

Return to “Farm Life and Better Half Forum”