This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

WHAT'S YOUR FALL PLANTING ?

Farming and rural life discussion forum. Cooking, hunting, gardening, fishing, critters, etc.
johnny j
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 20711
Tractors Owned: 1948 FARMALL CUB #34846
Circle of Safety: Y

WHAT'S YOUR FALL PLANTING ?

Postby johnny j » Tue Aug 31, 2010 5:28 pm

I planted Kale and Turnips today 1/2 acre of each.Picked the last of my water melon's 22 Friends and family will be picking them up. Keeping 4 for me and the grandchildren.Still getting plenty of Tomatoes, Cucumbers, Squash is gone and green beans almost gone.Few egg plant, plenty of green peppers and Banana peppers.Got a patch sweet potatoes to dig.Ground is real dry could use some rain. It's been a good year best corn crop ever. Let me know how your garden is doing and what your fall crop's are :) Johnny J

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Re: WHAT'S YOUR FALL PLANTING ?

Postby Eugene » Tue Aug 31, 2010 6:50 pm

Central Missouri. Garden is done for the year. Will be planting radish and beets for a falll crop. Planting garlic for next years crop. Still have watermellon on the vine.

New Guinea Bean, a squash. Came highly recommended so I palnted some. Prolific. 3 inches in diameter 3 and 4 feet long. No family member liked them, even the very small ones. Gave a few away. No takers for seconds. Cut and pulled the vines. The grew back. Now I have a patch about 15 feet square and 18" deep of the vines. I need green manure so I will cut the vine back in another week or two then turn under.

Patch about 20 feet by 20 feed of small white gourds quite a distance from the garden. Don't know where the seed came from. Just sprouted up. Not knowing what they were I let them grow. More green manure. Except this time I will be removing all of the gourds from the patch.

Black Walnuts. Picking up a few nuts from selected trees, large nuts or long straight trunks and planting the nuts.
I have an excuse. CRS.

SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61722

Postby SONNY » Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:15 pm

Garden here burned up for lack of rain, so next on the list will be a few garlic bulbs, then start plowing everything under.---chicken corn no where near ready yet to pick.

Stanton
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 64070
Tractors Owned: 1942 Farmall AV, serial #87025
1947 Farmall Circle Cub, serial #2116
1948 Farmall Cub, serial #46066

Postby Stanton » Wed Sep 01, 2010 6:49 am

West central MO (near KC), I planted bush beans right after the corn came out. The racoons destroyed the corn this year, so the beans went in 4th week of July. They're doing well. Had it get thru one really hot week, otherwise, we've been getting rains fairly regular. Should start picking/canning beans by 4th weekend of September. I like canning when the weather is cooler. :)
Stanton
Image Circle of Safety

ToddW
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 54911
Tractors Owned: -
1951 F-Cub
1960 Yellow Loboy
Despeeder, FH Rototiller, / FH York Rake, FH plow, 152 Disk plow, Woods brush mower, Wagner Loader, Grader Blades, 23-A Disc Harrow. Spike tooth harrow
FORD JUBILEE with Sherman 12-speed
1953 Ford F-100 Jubilee
Cadet 108 with mower and snow thrower -Cadet 1650 with deck and thrower

Postby ToddW » Wed Sep 01, 2010 9:02 am

I planted 1/2 acre total of all purple top turnips about 2.5 weeks ago.
They are for deer.

Bad news this year, due to record amounts of rain, I could not get my cub out there at all on my 40 acre lowland meadow. Where the food plots are in back it's dry, but there is bout 80 feet all across the front of my land up by the road where it has been 2 feet deep with mud all spring and summer.

SO...I took the 6 wheel ARGO out there a few weeks ago, mowed and raked by hand (not fun), then dragged with a spike tooth drag I just picked up.
I re-worked the plots I had in last year. Put on some 10-0-10 fertilizer, and the turnips are coming up, along with some clover and rye grass again from last year.

OliverFarmall
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 18822
eBay ID: ranger_jer

Postby OliverFarmall » Wed Sep 01, 2010 9:15 am

Garden was small but really good this year. Enjoyed several varieties of lettuce in our salads/ and started the second planting about a week ago. Have some nice carrots, had good peas to make fresh peas and cream potatoes. Yum! The peppers are coming on now and we finally have gotten some red tomatoes last weekend. The potatoes were planted late and I'll be looking forward to them in October. Sunflowers should be good by the later part of September. We had alot of good summer squash. Cucumbers succumbed to the groundhogs and were replanted and we've only gotten a handfull of them. Butternut squash is looking good for later this fall and so are the mini-jack and the unknown pumpkins.
As far as fall planting I'll probably plant a single row of garlic in the one field (about 150 feet or so) and am debating using a rye or oat cover crop on the future potato field that I will be plowing up in the next month.
22 sickle bar mower x2
23A tandem disc harrow
144 cultivator (#53 & #97 spring tooth)
154 leveling and grader blade
189 moldboard plow 2-way
193 moldboard plow x2

spring tooth harrows
David Bradley planter (modded for Cub)

highway
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 03280
Tractors Owned: 1975 Famall cub, Fasthitch, Farmall Disc, land plow

Postby highway » Fri Sep 10, 2010 7:31 am

just got the winter rye in, seeded in a new piece of ground that is freshly plowed with the Cub. I will mow that down with the woods mower in the spring and then till it in before planting potatoes in it.

Was going to buy some hairy vetch as well, however that seed is over 3.00 alb here now. Ouch :(
Fletcher family farm
1975 Farmall Cub, Fasthitch, IH Disc, Plow Chief LF-194, McCormick Deering Model 100 Spreader

KETCHAM
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44645
eBay ID: kevinb2366
Tractors Owned: 47 Cub 48 Cub 50 H

Postby KETCHAM » Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:26 am

I hope to put in some winter wheat to boost the soil this fall!!!! My garden got brush hogged the other day.Still getting some real nice tomatoes :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :{_}: :{_}: Kevin
47 CUB[Krusty] 49 CUB[Ollie] 50 H-- PLOWS DISCS MOWERS AND lots more stuff!!Life is to short -Have fun now cause ya ain't gonna be here long!!!!

Return to “Farm Life and Better Half Forum”