This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Hog Waller Pig Update

Farming and rural life discussion forum. Cooking, hunting, gardening, fishing, critters, etc.
Ben B
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 24354
Tractors Owned: 1950 Farmall Cub post demo 108xxx
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Hog Waller Pig Update

Postby Ben B » Thu Feb 24, 2011 8:23 pm

I am looking forward to seeing what is involved in hog raisin'!
1950 Farmall Cub post demo 108xxx
1964 Farmall Cub 6 volt 223xxx
1968 Fairmont Railroad Motor Car 2 cycle hit and miss single cylinder

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28521
Tractors Owned: Collector of Super As, Corn Pickers, and a buncha other junk. Even a Cub now and then...

Postby Super A » Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:59 pm

Ben B wrote:I am looking forward to seeing what is involved in hog raisin'!

Don't do it Ben....

I love pork as good as anybody but I have been around hogs my whole life and still get regularly asked to help my dad with his. There is no more miserable work on earth than working with hogs. It is truly a job that is "never done!"

Al
White Demo Super A Restoration Updates

Let us pray for farmers and all who prepare the soil for planting, that the seeds they sow may lead to a bountiful harvest.
Celebrating 75 years of the Super A: 1947-2022

Tezell
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 39861
Tractors Owned: 76 Cub Denim Springs
49 Cub Denim Springs
51 Cub Uncle Harvey
"Jacksonville" 53 Cub
"Jackson" 76 Cub
"Louie" 64 Cub Fast Hitch
"Paw Paw"71 Cub Fast
Hitch
"Alvin" 72 Cub
"Ugly" 75 Cub
76 Cub Val
Mr. Kirkland" 77 Red Cub
77 Cub "Russell
76 Cub w/fast hitch "Edgar"
76 - 185 Cub Lo Boy
John Deere 2003 - 5320
Kubota 7060
Kubota 5400
Kubota 2680
John Deere 445
TO20 Ferguson

Postby Tezell » Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:00 am

We don't have very many hogs around here anymore. We used have them everywhere. My Dad and I raised hogs all my life up until the last 15 years or so. I miss having them. They were alot of work but they kinda get in your blood after awhile. Nice litter of pigs.
"I ain't believing this!"

Ben B
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Ben B » Sat Mar 12, 2011 8:24 am

I don't know that I will raise hogs. I've threatened to a couple of times but that don't mean much. I'm always bouncing ideas around in my head. I've had the cub idea for years and just recently got into them.

I'm mainly concentrating on raising my boys, and part of that is teaching them WHERE food comes from and HOW to get it for themselves if they ever need to. There isn't enough education on that kind of thing anymore. I grew up in a rural area and there were still a lot of small farms around when I was a kid. Now, most of them have been sold and turned into subdivisions. I want to expose my boys to the same things I was so they can pass along the same thing to their kids hopefully.

And, I want them to have a good work ethic when they get grown, and farmers are some of the hardest working people you will ever find!

Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years
Tractors Owned: Collector of Super As, Corn Pickers, and a buncha other junk. Even a Cub now and then...

Postby Super A » Sat Mar 12, 2011 6:07 pm

Ben B wrote:I don't know that I will raise hogs. I've threatened to a couple of times but that don't mean much. I'm always bouncing ideas around in my head. I've had the cub idea for years and just recently got into them.

I'm mainly concentrating on raising my boys, and part of that is teaching them WHERE food comes from and HOW to get it for themselves if they ever need to. There isn't enough education on that kind of thing anymore. I grew up in a rural area and there were still a lot of small farms around when I was a kid. Now, most of them have been sold and turned into subdivisions. I want to expose my boys to the same things I was so they can pass along the same thing to their kids hopefully.

And, I want them to have a good work ethic when they get grown, and farmers are some of the hardest working people you will ever find!

Good reasons to do so, especially for your boys. I guess that is where I learned my work ethic. There were, though, many days where I wished we had 1,000 acures of tobacco, all of which I had to top & sucker by myself, instead of having to work with hogs!

Al

Let us pray for farmers and all who prepare the soil for planting, that the seeds they sow may lead to a bountiful harvest.

Ben B
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Ben B » Sun Mar 13, 2011 3:34 pm

One thing I do remember about my Grandad's hog slaughtering was that it was indeed very hard work, nasty, and just plain messy. That man loved his sausage though, and according to my Dad, he would make canned sausage out of the whole thing if Dad didn't beg him to keep the tenderloin and cure the hams.

As for the work, he was one of the hardest working men I ever knew, so I'm sure that didn't bother him. After all, he grew up on a farm, and at the age of 12 quit school to help his dad (my great grandad) work on the farm. When he joined the army in 1943 his vocation was listed as "plowing with a team of horses". And, he's one of my heros. He's no longer with us, but he left his mark on me in a good way.

I don't know if I'll raise a hog or not, but if I do part of the reason will be because of him.

grumpy
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 15522

Postby grumpy » Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:50 pm

No offense but I'd raise at least one because someone told me not to!! :-)
David Dee Mock-Leonard

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

Some days it's not worth chewing through the restraints

Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Super A » Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:17 am

grumpy wrote:No offense but I'd raise at least one because someone told me not to!! :-)

Spoken like someone who has never raised hogs before....

Al

grumpy
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby grumpy » Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:08 am

Super A wrote:
grumpy wrote:No offense but I'd raise at least one because someone told me not to!! :-)

Al

I've castrated at least 50 many years ago with a single edge razor blade and a bottle of rubbing alcohol and shoveled quite a few loads of manure on the spreader so, I've been around a few. Didn't mind them a bit. :{_}: :{_}: Used to seperate the cream and slop them with the waste which we now pay $4.00 for at the market along with garbage from the grade school and day old bread. I'd do it now if I had the room. Grump
David Dee Mock-Leonard

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:09 am

Which one are we going to eat next month. :D
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Super A » Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:47 pm

grumpy wrote:
Super A wrote:

Al

I've castrated at least 50 many years ago with a single edge razor blade and a bottle of rubbing alcohol and shoveled quite a few loads of manure on the spreader so, I've been around a few. Didn't mind them a bit. :{_}: :{_}: Used to seperate the cream and slop them with the waste which we now pay $4.00 for at the market along with garbage from the grade school and day old bread. I'd do it now if I had the room. Grump

That is probably the job I hate the most. In fact I helped my dad do a few this evening. I have always been the "holder." Nothing like getting every body fluid a pig's body can produce all over you. :evil: We got our "system" worked out many years ago and I am always the "holder." As many as I have seen cut, I have never done one myself and don't intend to learn now. When he retires, I intend to "retire" too. I hope I live to be 100, keep 20-20 vision 'till the day I die, and never see another :censored: :censored: hog again unless it's on my plate!

The worst thing about raising hogs is you are never finished. Growing up, I wondered many times what I was being punished for, having to work with the miserable things. If all you had to do was water, and throw them some feed every day it wouldn't be so bad. But the coldest, rainiest, day you can think of, or the hottest and most miserable day you can think of, or on a day when you just don't have time to fool around, is when they will decide to tear the fence down, or have pigs a day or two early before they are in their huts, or if not that, there's a fence to build, or a shed/hut to fix, or a dead one to drag out and bury, or a sow to put to the boar, or they've torn the fence down again, or there's sows to move, or there's feed to grind, or there's MORE fence to fix, or a water line has busted, or the :censored: things are out AGAIN, or a sow needs a shot of penicillin, or they've torn their waterer apart and now the pen's flooded, or you mean they're out AGAIN??? and on and on and on.

My dad loves them and he's pretty good at raising them. But if I had to raise hogs for a living, I'd probably be a raging alcoholic or in the nut house, one or the other!

Al
Al

grumpy
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby grumpy » Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:43 am

Al, too much of a good thing aint good. I can see why your no fan of them. Grump
David Dee Mock-Leonard

Gary Dotson
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43358
Tractors Owned: 48 Cub Diesel (Cubota)
53 Cockshutt 20 restored (Shooter)
52 Cockshutt 20 unrestored
47 Leader "B" (Herckie)
49 Leader "D" (Princess)
49 Leader "D" very rough
48 Leader "D" unrestored
Kubota B6200E
Kubota B6200HST
Kubota B8200HST-D

Postby Gary Dotson » Wed Mar 16, 2011 6:25 am

Al, you forgot to mention that the hogs are out again!

Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Super A » Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:13 pm

I helped my dad do another litter this evening. The guys had come to start spreading turkey litter so I was anxious to get on the tractor and start disking it in. Only had a half a dozen. Did fine till pig #3 and doggone if he wasn't ruptured. So it took a few extra minutes to sew him up.....

Al

Return to “Farm Life and Better Half Forum”