This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Alpacas

Farming and rural life discussion forum. Cooking, hunting, gardening, fishing, critters, etc.
Nick C.
10+ Years
10+ Years

Alpacas

Postby Nick C. » Tue Feb 04, 2003 7:53 pm

Has anyone had any experiences with raising, breeding, or dealing with Alpacas or a business with Alpacas? I'm thinking about starting a small farm with Alpacas for their fiber but have a great deal of research to still do to see if it is really worthwhile from a business/financial point of view. I would hate to end up with $10-15K lawn pets! These animals aren't cheap!

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Larry in IN
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 46750
Tractors Owned: '59 cub running
'48 'H' running?
'54 '400' project
'67 806' project
?? '706' project
'70' 826G Hydro 'every day power! 1 of 14
'71' MM G1050 - Big iron
'51' JD 'R' project
'61 JD 3010 project
'48 Allis 'G'
'??' F-12 my son's

Postby Larry in IN » Sat Feb 08, 2003 8:49 pm

Nick -
You are very correct!
Alpacas [and before them Bison, Llamas, etc] are not cheap!
I am mystified by the expensive ads I see on tv promoting alpacas.
If you like critters and are willing to have 'lawn ornaments' as you aptly describe them, go for it.
Search the Land Grant University sites and even the 'organic/tree hugger' sites, but have the salt shaker handy as you read glowing accounts.
Good luck!
Larry in IN
One of the few advantages of growing older is that I finally realized that I haven't made ALL the stupid mistakes! Yet!

Return to “Farm Life and Better Half Forum”