This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Stripers are running

Farming and rural life discussion forum. Cooking, hunting, gardening, fishing, critters, etc.
daddydip
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 19320
eBay ID: 2001fltri
Tractors Owned: CC108
1948 farmall f cub
1955 farmall f cub
1955 international lo boy
1952 vai case
2005 236B Caterpillar
1999 TDI Jetta MK IV I like!
2008 H.D FLTRI

Stripers are running

Postby daddydip » Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:55 am

Heading to the bay next month for some striper fishing, young girl just caught a world record for young girls around 54 lbs. last week.Or it might have been 54 inches 32 inches girth. My correction.
One Life , One Love , A Love Supreme

The only thing new is untold history, Harry Truman

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Stripers are running

Postby Don McCombs » Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:17 am

54 pounds would be a huge rock. Of course, so would 54 inches. This one was about 26 inches, caught weekend before last, out of Tilghman.

Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

Buzzard Wing
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02840

Postby Buzzard Wing » Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:17 pm

Tom at TM told me they were surf casting for em in Fla....

One of these days I will go fishing..... after all I do live near the action.
1971 Cub (Rufus) 1950 Cub (Cathy) 1965 Lo Boy Fast Hitch (Nameless III) 1970 Cub 1000 Loader & Fast Hitch (Lee)

daddydip
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 19320
eBay ID: 2001fltri
Tractors Owned: CC108
1948 farmall f cub
1955 farmall f cub
1955 international lo boy
1952 vai case
2005 236B Caterpillar
1999 TDI Jetta MK IV I like!
2008 H.D FLTRI

Postby daddydip » Thu Nov 11, 2010 1:39 am

Don McCombs wrote:54 pounds would be a huge rock. Of course, so would 54 inches. This one was about 26 inches, caught weekend before last, out of Tilghman.

Really nice fish the supervisor has there Don :mrgreen:
One Life , One Love , A Love Supreme

The only thing new is untold history, Harry Truman

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby BigBill » Wed Dec 01, 2010 2:33 pm

My older brother would fish from shore and he found a few honey holes were he came home with two 50 inch stripers one morning. He would fish every night till morning then go to work and repeat it everyday. I never really understood until he passed away at 52yo when he said to just keep on going and sooner or later the fish will turn on. We were fishing and hunting partners as well as brothers. Soon after his death i retired and got heavy into large mouth bass fishing. Like him i was at it at 3:30am till dawn or as long as my health would hold out. I fish a pretty crowded area and one time in the evening i was catching 3 to 4lb bass fish after fish. The crowd was watching me and i looked up at the sky and told my brother to knock it off, the crowd didn't look happy. This place was getting so crowded i had to switch to fish the early mornings so it was calmer with one else out there. There were bigger fish to catch in the early mornings. My biggest so far is 10lbs. the state record is 12lbs 4ozs. so i'm not too far away. I have noticed and even lost bigger fish than my 10lber. The 10lber i caugh scared me in the low light, i never seen a fish this big in fresh water before. The size of the mouth could swallow small ducks for sure.I been buying tackle to fish for blues and stripers and i need to start maybe next year. But my hunt for bigger large mouth bass is continued. I fish about 3 or 4 different places and have noticed bigger bass in each place. If we have bigger LMB here in CT the other states have to have them too. I think the wee hours is the time to fish for the big gals too. I been going by the maori charts too, when its the best time to fish by the moon phases. I have noticed that when we catch an incomming weather front, hours before the rain starts the fish put on the feed bag because then know the bad weather is comming soon. This is when the frenzy can happen. Onetime before the rain me and my son caught bass after bass on inline spinners, we had doubles after doubles together. Its like our lures were an amusement ride and they all were lined up for a ride. Another time during the full moom phase with a light rain the same frenzy happened and i caught 19 bass from shore in one spot. Its just fish after fish action. Another time at another spot inbetween the rain showers when it let up i caught fish after fish again and about 40lbs of bass were caught on that trip (lmb). I wish i knew how to predict this feeding frenzy, I notice it ties in with the rain(weather fronts) and the full moon. But it can happen before the rain, during the rain and after the rain if its not raining too hard to change the PH alot. If its hard rain it can stirr up the bottom bactiera and change the PH for days till it settles down again. I'm sure this frenzy can hit the saltwater fish too. All the trophy size, record breaking fish are caught on full moon nights. The InFisherman guys have said this also.

Remember its not luck in fishing its SKILL :{_}: :{_}: :{_}: :{_}: :{_}: :{_}: Bill
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.

Buzzard Wing
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02840

Postby Buzzard Wing » Wed Dec 01, 2010 7:50 pm

Yep Bill... I think it's the change in pressure, before and after the weather....

10 pounds is surely a giant! State record in Maine is 11 10oz in 1968.
1971 Cub (Rufus) 1950 Cub (Cathy) 1965 Lo Boy Fast Hitch (Nameless III) 1970 Cub 1000 Loader & Fast Hitch (Lee)

Return to “Farm Life and Better Half Forum”