This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Feeding the pigs in winter

Farming and rural life discussion forum. Cooking, hunting, gardening, fishing, critters, etc.
JoeB
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Feeding the pigs in winter

Postby JoeB » Wed Dec 22, 2010 9:19 pm

Feeding the pigs got a lot easier this year, got them eating small square bales. I couldn't find much hay last year, barely got enough to keep them warm. The red ones are my sals (Tamworth) and the big black one is my boar (Large Black Hog). The 3 little pigs are 1/2 and 1/2, look and act just like the boar though.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Boss Hog
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 23962
eBay ID: dmb2613
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Feeding the pigs in winter

Postby Boss Hog » Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:36 pm

Nice pics , how long you been raising Hogs?
I have never fed mine hay just mostly ground corn. I do pasture them though.
Boss
IN GOD WE TRUST
All others pay cash
Boss Hog
Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely byJohn Emerich Edward Dalberg

JoeB
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby JoeB » Fri Dec 24, 2010 10:46 pm

Thanks Boss. I'm sorta new to the hogs, this is my 3rd year into it. I tried a couple of Yorkshires the first time, wasn't happy with anything about them.The smell was awful, they were extremely picky with food, lost one to pnuemonia, the one was crazy, but turned out to be delicious on the table.

I am working these on pasture year round (supplementing hay in the morning during winter) and give them soy hull pellets (10lbs soaked with water will fill two 5 gallon buckets) late in the evening to keep them from rooting as much. I'm still learning, I enjoy them as much as anything I have ever raised though. I have gotten rid of all of the smell through diet change and I had no flies at all last summer.

-Joe

ScottyD'sdad
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02769
Tractors Owned: 6"F" cubs
5 lo-boys
1 154
1 184
1 IH444
1 Oliver OC3 crawler
1 AC D10
1 IH 100 manure spreader
1 IH model B corn grinder
3 power units
cub demonstrator
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby ScottyD'sdad » Sat Dec 25, 2010 8:21 am

A guy I know, in NH., collects pumpkins, at the dump, after people clean up their Halloween decorations, and feeds them, most of the winter. Ed
Member of Chapter 18, and National
Circle of Safety

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Sat Dec 25, 2010 11:17 am

Not to steal the topic but a friend, John grew up next door, has a herd of deer in his back yard. Feeds them pumpkins too.
Remember this is on Staten Island part of NYC. There is an 8 p0inter and a 6 pointer with 20 does and fawns. As I was on my way to the Goethals Bridge to NJ 3 weeks ago I saw a doe road kill. That is the only way to hunt them in the big city. Guns are a no no and the only bows and arrows are on the TV.
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

Return to “Farm Life and Better Half Forum”