This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Garden Time Here!

Farming and rural life discussion forum. Cooking, hunting, gardening, fishing, critters, etc.
SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61722

Re: Garden Time Here!

Postby SONNY » Sat May 14, 2011 3:49 pm

Before the 1.7" of rain hit we got 260 mater plants in.--also some 5" tall beets, and have some pepper and eggplants to go in yet.---more onion sets for green onions will be planted later for a longer harvest of tender green onions.
the cabbage plants are about ready to start on too!---I have several different kinds of my own to plant, so he can take most of the production from them.---started to hoe the onion plants that are growing, and still weeding the strawberries , some of the taters need to be hilled/cultivated and might plant more later taters too if space permits!---did get some of the brushpile burned and some of the stump ground sub-soiled, (no big roots left so might be safe now to run a plow thru it)---need all the square footage that I can scarf up this year!
Are you guys cultivating your gardens? thanks; sonny

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Jimdawg
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 02748

Postby Jimdawg » Sat May 14, 2011 4:11 pm

We're just getting started in Southeastern Mass, I have Mom's sweet potatoes (her's were shipped a week before mine), onion sets, peas, beans, and salad greens in the ground. Strawberries look really green and the flowers are out, and the asparagus is doing well too.

Sonny, I'd like to see a picture of your strawberry bed...I haven't quite mastered the layout of one yet.

SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby SONNY » Sun May 15, 2011 6:41 pm

I caught in between rains today to get current pics. of the berries!

Jim!,---here are a couple pics of our little berry patch!--its about 16' wide by 84 long but the far end is still being developed with a third variety, and is being weeded as I can get to it!---rain last 2 days and nights put us out of the gardens again!
the closest end to the camera is the 4'th year part of the patch and covers about 16' wide by about 16' long, solid stand.
last year this section produced over 100 quarts of nice big berries, and they went into the freezer! (been eating them all winter as fresh and also in strawberry pies!)
My original idea was to have 2 foot bare ground between the plant strips and keep it tilled !--every 6 years or so pull new runners over into the tilled ground then till the old plants under still keeping 1 tiller width of 2 foot between strips.---this would make weeding and picking a lot easier!---BUT as you can see in the pics, I did not do that and let them take over the bare strips that I started out with and now have a solid stand making it harder to pick/weed them! thanks; sonny

Jimdawg
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 02748

Postby Jimdawg » Sun May 15, 2011 7:05 pm

Sonny that patch looks great, thanks for the pics. Mine is similar - just one big patch. Considered tilling strips but never did keep up with it. I'll post pics of the garden when there's something more to see than dirt. Once again thanks for sharing!

Froghunter
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 19938
eBay ID: bull829

Postby Froghunter » Sun May 15, 2011 9:19 pm

First off I have to pat myself on the back, for it is the first year I have completely tilled the garden with just my IH CCO and CC 104. The CCO plowed three plots with the brinly 10" plow and the CC 104 disc harrow four plots with a modifitied David Bradley disc harrow with 4X4 attach for seed beds.

4 X 100' rows of King of the Garden pole lima beans. The poles are at the ends and middle. This week I hope to have them set. I need to cut four more telephone pole for the other end. I was able to do the mount/raised row with the D-B disc harrow.

This plot has onions, beets, carrots, tomatoes, squash, and radishes.

This plot has only been disc harrowed and yesterday and today I added compost which willbe disced again, then plowed and planted in buckwheat as a cover crop. This plot is my worst plot......It has clay from the dug pond that you can see to the left. It is very hard to plow and I have had to tandem plow it with both of the CCO hooked together.

The four plot has corn, watermelons, orka, and pumpkin so far and I will get a picture soon of it. I still need to plant my pole string beans and cow peas (Blackeye Peas)

Enjoy!

Bill
3 x CCO
CC106
CC1450 (Donated to School to use)
CC104
Case 644 Compact Loader
Case/IH 235

Dirtdoc74
Cub Star!
Cub Star!
Zip Code: 47037

Postby Dirtdoc74 » Mon May 16, 2011 8:54 pm

Finally got back in the bottom patch again. Managed to get more spinach,beets,carrots, and more cabbage planted. Used the "Jang" planter. Worked alot better in freshly worked ground. And changing to different seed was easy once I did it a couple times. Was ready to work up bottom #2 and (drat the luck) it rained...Oh did manage to get garden #3 plowed with the Massey.. Wouldn't you know it, it would run for 10 minutes then die..Same thing my cub did a few years back. Plugged fuel cap vent..Learned to look for that from the guru's here...Thanks fellas..Soooo waiting on dry ground again...Maybe by this Saturday...Later..Greg

SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby SONNY » Tue May 17, 2011 8:52 am

Lookin/soundin great guys!!! ---keep the updates and pics coming on your garden projects/equipment/etc.!

We are just heading into what is called "blackberry winter"here!---thats when the blackberries are in full bloom, which they are!---it is always VERY cold/wet weather for about a week or two at this time of the year, then turns VERY hot/dry right after.!
I am trying to get the mowing done in between rains and some equipment worked on and ready to go when it dries enough to plant/weed/cultivate some more of the gardens! thanks; sonny

Froghunter
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Froghunter » Tue May 17, 2011 8:29 pm

Just a short update for today. I planted four more hills each of Yellow and Zucchini Squash, two rows of cucumbers, nine hils of cantaloupe and two rows each of Pole String beans and Cow Peas in plot two this evening.

Plot four was planted with four rows of Pole string beans, two rows of cow peas and two 15' of K199 Yellow Sweet Corn. I also transplanted five hills of pumpkins that popped up from mom's pumpkin pie making last November. You can see I have corn up and my orka is up. I have watermelon hills in my corn rows.

Last week was a good week for me in purchasing my last two tractors. I purchased a unplanned tractor....a Case/IH 235. I have been looking for a small older compact utility tractor and this one kind of fell in my lap. It needs fuel system TLC and new shoes....Ag tires. It will get a 48-52" 3 pt rototiller and a 60" finish mower. I'm tilling under a arce now and the most I will till is three. Long range goal is to have a small Market Garden to help get the kids thru college.

The other tractor is for materal handling. I thought about building a loader for one of the Cub Cadets, but I saw this up on a trailer just sitting there rusting away. It took three monthly visits for the PO to finely sell it. I wanted a tractor just for loader work and I didn't want to pay an arm and leg, because I'm only running a small time operation. It moved the compost on Saturady and Sunday. This weekend it has the job of loading builds sand which will be place in the lower plot with the fresh compost. My Little Case 644 Compact Loader.

I will share the CCO with Brinly Culivaters in the coming weeks.

Bill
3 x CCO
CC106
CC104
Case 644 Compact Loader
Case/IH 235

SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby SONNY » Sat May 28, 2011 9:10 pm

We got a little more late stuff planted, then got hit by latest round of rain/cold/wind/etc.! partner lost 1 greenhouse, a chicken shed, and damage to the main greenhouse!---now we are struggling to try to wait out the weather to save as many plants as we can!---maters have blooms on them and are looking good, so far!

We found this nice little garden helper a couple days ago!

In last pic, Twinkletoes had to check out the new unit!
This little tractor will do some serious work !---we were needing a small loader to help around here! thanks; sonny

Froghunter
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Froghunter » Sat May 28, 2011 9:28 pm

Worked the garden today! :{_}: Things are going good. The photo below is of the Lima Beans. We have been hand watering....drawing water from the pond with a trash pump which is reduced down to the garden hose. I'm watering two plots with this setup. i have to set four more poles for the Lima beans and run wire and the string.

The next picture is of Plot #4, It has the Corn, okra, string beans, watermelons, and Cowpeas. It has been Cultivated by the CCO and Brinly Cultivators. Everything in this plot will get side dressed at the middle of next week.

This is the lil Monster that plows and cultivates the plots. It is kind of chisel plowing the bottom plot which is going to be planted in buckwheat next week as a cover crop.

The Brinly Cultivator teeth.

The last pictures is of the Canning tomatoes.....Not sure if i planted enough. I may go get another flat to to plant. The wife wants to can 200 quart jars this year. :(

Enjoy!

Bill
3 x CCO
CC106
CC104
Case 644 Compact Loader
Case/IH 235

Froghunter
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Froghunter » Sat May 28, 2011 9:37 pm

Sonny,

That Tractor is some Serouis IRON........... :-:-): My Little Case FEL would fit in your Tractor's Bucket. That would be an Awesome piece of equipment to be able to operate. She will "get-R-Done" for sure.

Nice!

Bill
3 x CCO
CC106
CC104
Case 644 Compact Loader
Case/IH 235

Bill E Bob
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 74070
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bill E Bob » Sun May 29, 2011 4:04 pm

Sonny,
You are simply amazing with your gardening abilities AND your ability to find some of the neatest tractors :shock: :wink:

SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby SONNY » Sun May 29, 2011 10:49 pm

Here are a couple of videos of the unloading of the new unit!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNoL8GYtDVA

This is on you-tube, so enjoy them!
Today we got more rain, (.5") so back to square 1 for garden work,---but did get bird nets over the strawberries a little better, and almost have the bagger ready to go after more grass again,--also ready to start sharpening the blades on the 185 lo-boy so I can mow when its wet!---nothing else will cut the wet grass/weeds!---Virginia has stuff coming up in the 3 raised beds I made for her a while back! thanks; sonny

SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby SONNY » Sun May 29, 2011 11:37 pm

Bill!!---here is the fun machine to operate!---MOOSE!!--- ya!

This dude does some serious land work!---weighs in at around 60,000 pounds as pictured, without a ripper on the back! Its in a couple of the vids too! thanks; sonny

Dirtdoc74
Cub Star!
Cub Star!
Zip Code: 47037

Postby Dirtdoc74 » Mon May 30, 2011 8:49 pm

Sonny; Sorry to hear about all the damage done from the storms. A real Bummer...We had a tree go down, which in turn caught the power line to the house, snapped the electric pole in half, power line on the ground and still hot. For some reason the power never went off. Needless to say I didn't go out of the house. But all is fixed again.
We got about 180 mater plants out, 100 giant bell peppers, 150 lbs of potato's and 6 rows of sweet corn planted....then it rained,,,again??? Took the hoe and spent about 2 hours trying to find my spinach back. Ended up with about 1/2 a stand. I can't even tell where my carrots and beets are, tooo many weeds! We are gonna try to plant the last 150 lbs of potato's tomorrow. It may actually get dry enough to plow plot #3. 2 more after that one...later...Greg

Return to “Farm Life and Better Half Forum”