This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Topsy Turvy Tomato Planters !!

Farming and rural life discussion forum. Cooking, hunting, gardening, fishing, critters, etc.
magnumpi
10+ Years
10+ Years

Topsy Turvy Tomato Planters !!

Postby magnumpi » Sat Apr 23, 2011 7:27 am

I've proven to myself on more than one occasion that I can't successfully grow tomatoes right-side up so might as well try it upside down !! If you have a Menard's in your community, they have the kit on sale for $5 with a $4 rebate !!! How bad can it be, right ?? If Summer ever comes to this part of the country, I'd be interested to hear past experience with these planters so I can at least have moderate success. Any hints, tips, suggestions whatever would be greatly appreciated !! TIA, Craig

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Re: Topsy Turvy Tomato Planters !!

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sat Apr 23, 2011 8:26 am

Those upside down planters may be ok for younger guys, but there is no way an old geezer like me is going to stand on his head to eat a tomato.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Groove Critter
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44045
Tractors Owned: 1948 cub (Sophie)
1949 cub Loren
1954 cub Nussie

Postby Groove Critter » Sat Apr 23, 2011 10:51 am

John,

While I do not agree that you are an old geezer, I do agree that it may be difficult to eat them that way. In addition, I have never heard of any use for tomato's in an upside down cake either.

I hope someone that has used them chimes in.
The glass is half full
the upper portion is wasted material
the content is delicious, cold and refreshing!

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Sat Apr 23, 2011 4:14 pm

Bev grows the greatest tomatoes any one ever did.
Why not she doesn't have to dig in the horse ($TUFF). She tried one of those off the back porch. Guess who, had to figure out how to fasten it????? Ain't worth the effort. Just turn in plenty of leaves and grass, mulch wit cut grass, straw or newspaper. Don't let the ground dry out too much and you will have tomatoes won't quit. Biggest problem we see with others growing tomatoes is too much nitrogen causing excessive plant growth and a lack of tomatoes. All the humus helps hold water but prevents too much around the plants. She uses her own seed taken from the first best tomatoes., Not the first but the first real good ones. She started out with seeds from a give away at a Fraternal convention in VA beach in the late 70's. It was indeterminate seed but seems to have become determinate last year. If so this year she will start all over again because it is nice to have tomatoes at Christmas from plants hanging in the garage. She pulls the whole plant when ever she believes the frost forecast. Bev also picks many in the fall green and puts them in newspaper int the cellar to ripen. January 14th is the latest we ever had her fresh tomatoes. Where her garden is started out as regular Staten Island Red Brick clay. As a matter of fact much of the tenements in Manhattan were built with Staten Island brick. Kelly
Brick Works being the most prominent. We moved in in 1959 so after many years of "Road Apples" straw, compost, leaves and grass clippings it is black rich soil and I
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

Bezirk
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 22843
Tractors Owned: Farmall Cub 1949, Oliver OC3 crawler 1951, Ford 8 N 1948, Oliver 77 Row Crop 1953, JohnDeere, La, 1941, John Deere 4115/w loader, 2004, John Deere stationary power unit LUC, Farmall M, 1946, Oliver 77 Row crop w/ loader
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bezirk » Sat Apr 23, 2011 4:33 pm

We tried one year before last, our opinion, waste of time amd money. JMHO, weight of plant when dirt and water is added is a major issue. We harvested two or three tomatoes .
Berlin
I started out with nothing and now I only have half of that left !

SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61722

Postby SONNY » Sat Apr 23, 2011 9:29 pm

The high winds that we have here kept the plants tore out and the one that did get a heavy plant got beat to shreads, so we never tried them again! thanks; sonny

v w
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49053

Postby v w » Sun Apr 24, 2011 7:55 am

I had one given to me which I used one year and gave away. There isn't enough soil for a very large plant which if you use an indertiminate will reach the ground anyway. Watering is a problem without just shooting a hose up and running it all over everything. I would believe a large pot to be better. Consider the Husky series. It is indertiminate with a compact growth habit. Called an ISI or indertiminate short internode. I have plenty of garden space but had to try the upsidedown thing and if it had worked well hang it in the greenhouse for a later season. A pot in the greenhouse works better. Vern

DanR
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 37743

Postby DanR » Mon Apr 25, 2011 6:12 am

If Mother Nature had intended a tomato, well you know the rest. Good news is I finally got a tractor out in the gardens for shallow tilling. Still too wet to finish up. Got the planter mounted on Ugly the Cub and she's ready to go. T-storms forecast for the rest of the week. I grow 8 different heirloom tomatoes but I will probably have to stake them in pots before they can be planted. Good Luck!
47 Cub (Glenda)
52 Super A
62 Cub (Genie)
43 H
42 M
In all things know which way the wind is blowing.

danovercash
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28081

Postby danovercash » Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:30 am

My experience with "Topsy" (home made, 5 gal. bucket with hole in bottom), Tomatoes do not like to be planted upside down. No problem growing them in the ground. Some weight 2+ lbs. I use t-post and tomato cage wire streached out straight.
"I'd rather be a mechanic in the shop"- Henry Ford

252646 & 221525. 195897 (Gone, but not forgotten)

Ken (48 Cub)
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 40023
Tractors Owned: 1948 FCub
1957 LoBoy

Postby Ken (48 Cub) » Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:31 am

Not worth the money! I tried one last year and only harvested a couple of tomatoes, not near as many as the other plants. Thay are not reusable ether. The sun breaks down the plastic and it will disentigrate when you try to empty it :(
Ken, Annie the '48.

I think we gotter if'n she don't jump, Andy Griffith.

v w
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49053

Postby v w » Mon Apr 25, 2011 11:06 am

[quote="Groove Critter"]John,

..............In addition, I have never heard of any use for tomato's in an upside down cake either...........
These are intended for upsidedown bottles of ketchup. Vern

jim turner
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 64784

Postby jim turner » Sun May 22, 2011 3:49 pm

Topsy Turvy is a big joke as far as I'm concerned we tried two years in a row and nothing
Jim Turner

Return to “Farm Life and Better Half Forum”