This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Spinosad-worked wonders on out tater bugs

Farming and rural life discussion forum. Cooking, hunting, gardening, fishing, critters, etc.
Former Member
10+ Years
10+ Years

Spinosad-worked wonders on out tater bugs

Postby Former Member » Thu May 26, 2011 11:25 pm

We have been trying to follow organic practices as much as possible. And, we are fairly new to gardening.

We started out ok using a concoction of canola oil, dish soap, pepper and garlic powder. Was working, then the tater bugs figured out it was salsa. :big smirk:

We started to lose the battle.

Jan did some more research, and we went to the Co-Op and got some organic Spinosad, by Captain Jack's.

The label says it is a bacteria found in the Caribean in '1982 at an abandoned rum factory. Makes the little buggers quit eating and almost all the tater bugs are dead.

label also says it is not suppose to impact beneficial insects.

We may have a good garden after all this year.

NOTE: our 86 yr old neighbor has gardened all he life next door and has used every insecticide she could get. She has given up on seven, as her bugs are imune. So we knew we had to go another route. (her tater plants have no leaves now)

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Jimdawg
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 02748

Re: Spinosad-worked wonders on out tater bugs

Postby Jimdawg » Fri May 27, 2011 5:03 am

Dale, thanks for the review. I've heard a lot about Spinosad on the local garden radio show, but haven't tried it yet. Have you noticed any impact on beneficial insects?

Jim

Former Member
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Former Member » Fri May 27, 2011 10:04 am

Nope Jim, I have not.

The spinosad killed all the tater bugs after 2 days. It is also 'spose to kill the larvea (which it did) and the eggs(to be seen).

Our bottle was $25, and we used 2/3 of it (made 10 gal)(1 gallon at a time) to cover 5 rows(50lb) of kenebec's.

I have seen bee's and ladybugs in the garden since spraying.

Dale

Mr E
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 32460
eBay ID: noles1432460
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Mr E » Fri May 27, 2011 10:28 am

Dale,
Does it say anything about killing those worms that get into the tops of the corn plants? I have some beautify corn and the worms are loving it. :(
In the middle of every difficulty lies opportunity. - Albert Einstein

Image. Circle of Safety

Roy Edenfield
Deep South CubFest #10
February 14 & 15, 2020

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Fri May 27, 2011 10:34 am

In general, I've found BT to be about the best for worms. As with any treatment, timing is everything!

Former Member
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Former Member » Fri May 27, 2011 1:24 pm

Roy, the label says
"Kills bagworms, borers, beetles, catapillars, codling moth, gypsy moth, loopers, leaf miners, spider mites, tent catapillars, thrips and more.

Captain Jacks==Deadbug brew concentrate "for organic gardening"

"Use on fruits, vegetables, berries, citrus, grapes, nuts and ornamentals"

I just checked the garden-Day 3:

The plants were covered when I sprayed, today I did not see one tater bug of any stage. I did still have some ladybugs and some other bugs.

Dale

It also says it kills them in every stage of life, egg to adult.

SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61722

Postby SONNY » Sat May 28, 2011 8:59 pm

I used Jacks dead brew last year and got even bigger infestation of bugs, so it didnt work here! thanks; sonny

Former Member
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Former Member » Sat May 28, 2011 9:23 pm

Sonny, was that on the tater bugs? We spot sprayed again tonight, very few remaining bugs. It needs to be applied after the heat of the day, as the hot sun will nuetralize it.

Dale

DanR
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 37743

Postby DanR » Sun May 29, 2011 6:34 am

Dale I think you are spending to much for Spinosad. Check the dilution table it might be on the heavy side. Albeit not perfect it is a very good product and is certified for organic use. Spinosad, BT, and Neem are the only products I recommend in class for organic use.
47 Cub (Glenda)
52 Super A
62 Cub (Genie)
43 H
42 M
In all things know which way the wind is blowing.

Former Member
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Former Member » Sun May 29, 2011 1:58 pm

Dan, we are using 1/4 cub (4 tablespoons) to a gallon of water like the directions said. The infestation was pretty bad, so we did spray them completely with a 1 gallon sprayer. Now, we spot spray as needed till we get all the eggs and larvea gone.

Dale

SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby SONNY » Sun May 29, 2011 10:25 pm

Dale!---Ya,--I used it on tater bugs!---mixed as label said! thanks; sonny

Former Member
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Former Member » Sun May 29, 2011 11:42 pm

I thought so Sonny, but had to ask.

What did you use then that did work?

We started the spring soil trying ?Nematodes? (good bugs) that were 'spose to eat the grubs, but they got here late as there was a delay in shipping. So, we did not want to use chemicals that would kill them, as they are s'pose to work for several years. So, Seven was out.

I am just glad we have a handle on them. This is all new to me, so I am just learning, and it is a big curve.

Dale

SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby SONNY » Tue May 31, 2011 10:45 pm

I rotate several different sprays so the bugs dont develop a resistance to sprays. ---I use the the same stuff that the commercial growers in this area use that grow organic veggies.---they use some stuff that I wont even consider using, but some of the milder stuff does a fair job of keeping the bugs gone, BUT we have to start spraying BEFORE the bugs start showing up or we lose the crop! thanks; sonny

vdeal
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 26542
Tractors Owned: Case 1290
BCS 720 Harvester

Postby vdeal » Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:17 am

I've used spinosad (Monterey garden spray) for years on Colorado potato beetles which is what I assume you're calling potato bugs. I has worked wonders. Potato beetles are gone in a day or two. We might have a second or third round of the beetles later but I can hit them quickly with the spinosad and they're history. I always apply it in the evening.
"If America could be, once again, a nation of self-reliant farmers, craftsmen, hunters, ranchers, and artists, then the rich would have little power to dominate others. Neither to serve nor to rule:That was the American dream." -- Edward Abbey

Return to “Farm Life and Better Half Forum”