This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Garden Soil

Farming and rural life discussion forum. Cooking, hunting, gardening, fishing, critters, etc.
Froghunter
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 19938
eBay ID: bull829

Garden Soil

Postby Froghunter » Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:31 pm

Did a water test of my Garden Soil and I have sandy soil. I am also sending a soil sample of plot #4 to the County extension service to get the low down on my soil with a soil test. I'm planning to grow some cole crop in the fall. This November I will like to rototiller in alot of leafs into the soil. If I till the leafs into the soil in November will the plots be ready to plant in the spring or sure I wait a year?

Thanks!

Bill
3 x CCO
CC106
CC1450 (Donated to School to use)
CC104
Case 644 Compact Loader
Case/IH 235

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

DanR
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 37743
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Garden Soil

Postby DanR » Wed Jun 08, 2011 6:39 am

Between now and November compost all that stuff and till it in. Add the things recommended on the soil test. In the spring you're good to go.
47 Cub (Glenda)
52 Super A
62 Cub (Genie)
43 H
42 M
In all things know which way the wind is blowing.

BigMatt
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 46163
Tractors Owned: 1948 Cub "Moe"
1950 Farmall M
1978 IH 184

Postby BigMatt » Wed Jun 08, 2011 6:48 am

I don't think you can go wrong putting organic matter in your soil. There are two things to watch for though.

1) Make sure you are not making your soil acidic. I would add all of the organic stuff this year, let it sit and get your soil test in the spring.

2) Make sure whatever you are adding isn't adding weed seeds.

Other than that, you should be good to go.

-Matt

Froghunter
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 19938
eBay ID: bull829

Postby Froghunter » Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:54 pm

Right now the only thing I have to till into soil is fresh wood chips. In the fall I have a friend that cleans a cemetery of the fallen leafs. The cemetery produces a lot of leafs and he collects them in his Grasshopper mower and then dumps them. It would not be to much work to have him dump them on a flat bed trailer to be transported to the garden plots for tilling into the soil. After I have the garden packed with leafs I could start/stock the compose pile with them for the garden plantings. The soil sample for the plot is ready to go and will be dropped off at the County Extension Service tomorrow or the next day.
3 x CCO
CC106
CC1450 (Donated to School to use)
CC104
Case 644 Compact Loader
Case/IH 235

Buzzard Wing
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02840

Postby Buzzard Wing » Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:29 pm

if you can get grass clippings, you could have a great compost pile going.... just a thought, green stuff mixed with leafs will heat up just nice and work pretty quickly. When you have hot compost it will kill the weed seeds.... just not tomato seeds.
1971 Cub (Rufus) 1950 Cub (Cathy) 1965 Lo Boy Fast Hitch (Nameless III) 1970 Cub 1000 Loader & Fast Hitch (Lee)

ScottyD'sdad
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02769
Tractors Owned: 6"F" cubs
5 lo-boys
1 154
1 184
1 IH444
1 Oliver OC3 crawler
1 AC D10
1 IH 100 manure spreader
1 IH model B corn grinder
3 power units
cub demonstrator

Postby ScottyD'sdad » Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:06 am

Froghunter wrote:Right now the only thing I have to till into soil is fresh wood chips. In the fall I have a friend that cleans a cemetery of the fallen leafs. The cemetery produces a lot of leafs and he collects them in his Grasshopper mower and then dumps them. It would not be to much work to have him dump them on a flat bed trailer to be transported to the garden plots for tilling into the soil. After I have the garden packed with leafs I could start/stock the compose pile with them for the garden plantings. The soil sample for the plot is ready to go and will be dropped off at the County Extension Service tomorrow or the next day.

I wouldn't till in fresh wood chips They will tie up all the nitrogen, in the breaking down process. Compost them, with grass clippings, before use, I'd till the leaves in, in the fall, and they will be decayed, by spring. Mulch the crops with grass clippings, if you can get enough. They break down rapidly, and add organic matter. Ed
Member of Chapter 18, and National
Circle of Safety

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:48 pm

Clay soil. Rained almost every day up until about a week ago. Now soil is of a brick like consistancy. Rear tined tiller has a hard time breaking it up.

Have a container with sealed lid. Put vegetable waste from the kitchen in the container then add to the garden.

As soon as the fall vegetables are out - going to sow winter rye. Next spring, mow, then plow under with the Cub.

Edit: Farmers are currently making hay. You may be able to pickup 1 or 2 year old bales for little or nothing - just hauling them off.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Dirtdoc74
Cub Star!
Cub Star!
Zip Code: 47037

Postby Dirtdoc74 » Sun Jul 03, 2011 8:35 pm

I agree that the leaves will tie up nitrogen and decompose rather slowly. It will also drop your PH some, but applied in the fall the PH will rebound by spring. You might consider adding some nitrogen on the leaves before you plow them under. It will feed the microbes which in turn will break down the leaves quicker. Personally I would not add wood chips until it is decomposed. Another thing to remember is if your soil test indicates lime is needed to correct a deficiency, add it in the fall, it takes about 6 months to actually do some good. Good luck...Greg

Return to “Farm Life and Better Half Forum”