This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

How toxic is Sevin?

Farming and rural life discussion forum. Cooking, hunting, gardening, fishing, critters, etc.
Georgia Boy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 30528
Tractors Owned: 1975 Cub
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: How toxic is Sevin?

Postby Georgia Boy » Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:17 pm

Boss Hog wrote:I use admire works great do a Google on it , you will find yourself bug free :D

Talked to a bee keeper about Admire. He said that there had been studies done on Admire that proved that if a honey bee pollinated a plant that had been treated with Admire that it would screw his sense or direction up and would not be able to find his way back to the hive. Don't know, I am not a chemist or a biologist, just what he told me.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

smallfarm
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 43078

Re: How toxic is Sevin?

Postby smallfarm » Sun Jun 26, 2011 4:54 pm

DDT has an undeserved bad reputation due to years of overuse and its accululation up through the food chain. It is very safe for people. It was used for lice in the military and prisons for years (watch the scene where the main character first enters prison in the movie The Shawshank Redemption to see an accurate representation of how carefully it was applied). Sevin is also very safe, however with all pesticides excercise prudent caution. I have applied pesticides for over 30 years on nursery production crops and landscapes and can tell you as soon as you get comforatable handeling them something will happen to remind you why the applicator licence process has so much "useless" info about exposure and procedures. FOLLOW the label. FOLLOW THE LABEL FOLLOW THE LABEL.Virtually every insecticide and miteicide will caution the user to not apply when bees are present or likely to enter soon (in flower). Given the decline in their population this should be taken very seriously. We would be unreasonable to expect native pollinators to do all the job if we attack their habitat . Also, they are not easily recognized at spray time therefore also suffer greatly.
Personally I recommend anyone who applies any pesticide to get an applicators licence through their state gov or cooperative extention service. It is usually the homeowner who "gets it wrong" but the farmer, lawn company, greenhouse opperator is an easier target for those who wish to eliminate all pesticides from use.
Make it your ambition to lead a quiet life, to mind your own business and to work with your hands, just as we told you, so that your daily life may win the respect of outsiders and so that you will not be dependent on anybody.

Return to “Farm Life and Better Half Forum”