This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Grandma's Apron

Farming and rural life discussion forum. Cooking, hunting, gardening, fishing, critters, etc.
Donny M
10+ Years
10+ Years

Grandma's Apron

Postby Donny M » Tue Feb 01, 2005 8:05 pm

Does this bring back memories :?: Does for me 8)

Grandma's Apron

This brings back the fondest memories of "MY GRANDMA" she was the most wonderful lady in all the world. I was so blessed to have had her and will always miss her, .....and she did all these things with her apron....

This is precious. I don't think our kids know what an apron IS ...

The principle use of Grandma's apron was to protect the dress underneath, but along with that, it served as a holder for removing hot pans from the oven. It was wonderful for drying children's tears, and on occasion was even used for cleaning out dirty ears.

From the chicken-coop the apron was used for carrying eggs, fussy chicks, and sometimes half-hatched eggs to be finished in the warming oven.

When company came those aprons were ideal hiding places for shy kids. And when the weather was cold, grandma wrapped it around her arms. Those big old aprons wiped many a perspiring brow, bent over the hot wood stove.

Chips and kindling wood were brought into the kitchen in that apron. >From the garden, it carried all sorts of vegetables. After the peas had been shelled it carried out the hulls. In the fall the apron was used to bring in apples that had fallen from the trees.

When unexpected company drove up the road, it was surprising how much furniture that old apron could dust in a matter of seconds.

When dinner was ready, Grandma walked out onto the porch, waved her apron, and the men knew it was time to come in from the fields to dinner.

It will be a long time before someone invents something that will replace that "old-time apron" that served so many purposes.

Send this to those who would know, and love the story about Grandma's aprons.

REMEMBER THIS!
"Grandma used to set her hot baked apple pies on the window sill to cool. Her granddaughter's set theirs on the window sill to thaw :? :?

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

cowboy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49229

Postby cowboy » Tue Feb 15, 2005 9:27 am

Donny

Hope you don't mind but I just had to copy this and send it to my sister and Aunt. :wink:
Take care of your equipment and it will take care of you. 1964 cub. Farmall 100 and 130.

"Those that say it can’t be done should not interrupt the ones who are doing it.”

Vern Campbell
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 04664
Tractors Owned: 1955 Farmall Cub

Postby Vern Campbell » Tue Feb 22, 2005 7:59 am

Donny, I did the same as Cowboy. I just had to send a copy to my sisters. One of my grandmothers lived with us from the time I was six until she passed on. I would've fallen over in shock if I had ever seen her without her apron except for church on Sunday. I have pictures of both of my grandmothers on my desk, and they are both wearing their aprons. It looks so natural I hadn't thought about it before. Thanks for bringing back memories of two great women. :D
There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of 'em have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.--Will Rogers

Return to “Farm Life and Better Half Forum”