This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Black Walnut Nut Prices

Farming and rural life discussion forum. Cooking, hunting, gardening, fishing, critters, etc.
Mr E
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 32460
eBay ID: noles1432460
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Black Walnut Nut Prices

Postby Mr E » Wed Jan 07, 2015 7:30 am

Eugene wrote:
Stanton wrote:Picking walnut meats is very time-consuming,
I have a heavy duty nut cracker. It consists of part of a gear and a lever with part of another gear that matches the first. It does a great job of cracking nuts. Frequently providing quarter of the nut sized meats.

I would be diagnosed as hyper active, I just can't sit for very long, have to be doing something. Any way, picking walnut meats is something to do on cold winter nights. I would normally overhaul one of my engines in the house basement during the winter, but I have ran out of engines to rebuild.

Did you build the nut cracker? Or is available for purchase? Would love to see pictures, please.
In the middle of every difficulty lies opportunity. - Albert Einstein

Image. Circle of Safety

Roy Edenfield
Deep South CubFest #10
February 14 & 15, 2020

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Wed Jan 07, 2015 8:51 am

I believe this is the one Eugene has. I used to have one like it, but loaned it to someone years ago and never got it back, and finally bought a different one this year.

I bought one of these. It is not as good as the one Eugene has, his gets the nut meats out in larger pieces, mine has more of a tendency to break the kernels up in smaller pieces, but since we mainly use them for baking that is what we prefer anyway.

I set mine in a new oil change pan, and put a scrap of Blandex board with some rubber feet under it to prevent sliding, and made a mounting tab inside it to hold the cracker from sliding around. Also made a tab to keep the cracker from sliding inside the pan. Covering the nuts with a hand towel, dishcloth, etc. helps keep pieces from flying. Using either one, you do need fairly strong arms.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Eugene » Wed Jan 07, 2015 9:41 am

Mr E wrote:Did you build the nut cracker? Or is available for purchase? Would love to see pictures, please.
The nut cracker I own is similar to John's top photo. Mine is solid cast ion with a patent date of around 1920. I looked for a photo of my nut cracker but couldn't find one.

It takes a bit of practice with my nut cracker to obtain large meats. Mostly done with the fingers holding the nut in the cracker's jaws to control the amount of crack.

My total take of black walnuts this year was 5 milk crates full of good sized nuts. 2 crates plus a pound or so of meats was given to EJP.

Picking up the walnuts from the ground is the most time consuming part of processing nuts. I put the black walnuts on the acreage drive. Run over them several times with the pickup to mash the hulls. Let dry. Stir with a garden rake. Once dry, I have a silage fork to pick up the nuts. Silage fork will pick up 2 or 3 gallons of nuts per fork full.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Return to “Farm Life and Better Half Forum”