New Nut planting

Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:31 pm

Just planted 18 nut trees from Burgess seed and plant co..--We stopped in there a couple days ago to see if they have the seed racks out or not and they did, so while getting a few seed varieties that we didnt have, we looked at the bare root trees they had in stock, found some nice ones and bought some!---took 2 days to dig all them holes in the 35 mph wind and the 1/2" rain we had to go with it! thanks; sonny

Re: New Nut planting

Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:05 pm

Sonny, What kind of nuts, and how many years before a harvest?

Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:26 pm

4 northern varieties of pecans, 6 chestnuts, 2 hazelnuts, 2 almonds, 2 butternuts. 2 carpathian english walnuts.

All are supposed to grow wherever peaches will survive,--We got peaches here!--so decided to go for nuts!
The almonds could bear in 2 years,--chestnuts and hazelnuts could start when trees are 4 to 6 feet tall.---english walnuts 5 to 7 years, (bout like grapes), not sure on butternuts or pecans!
Kinda late in life for me to start nut trees but its something I alys wanted to try, so its now or never! LOL!!! thanks; sonny

Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:29 am

I'm trying to track down about a dozen butternut tree's to plant this year myself. My grandparents had butternuts and we used to get half a cent apiece to pick them up and put them in buckets. Then Nana would count them and pay us and take us down and get penny candy. :)

Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:29 am

Butternut and pecans should start producing nuts in 15 to 20 years. I have 3 mature butternut trees on the acreage - but they are suffering from butternut canker disease.

I order/purchase seedling tree bundles from the state nursery. Inexpensive compared to purchasing more mature trees from commercial outlets. I normally plant 75 to 100 seedlings each year.

Suggest checking with your State’s Dept of Conservation to determine if and what is available. Link to Missouri’s nursery offering, below. ... order-form

Down, near the bottom of the page is a PDF 2011-2012 seedling order catalog with prices.