This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Japanese Beetle

Farming and rural life discussion forum. Cooking, hunting, gardening, fishing, critters, etc.
DanR
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 37743
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Japanese Beetle

Postby DanR » Wed Jul 04, 2012 5:31 am

Jeff is correct. Don't put the traps on your property! You'll be sorry.
47 Cub (Glenda)
52 Super A
62 Cub (Genie)
43 H
42 M
In all things know which way the wind is blowing.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

twotone
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 15132
Tractors Owned: 53 F Cub
73 F Cub
53 Super A With Snow/Grader Blade
193 Plow With Colter And Jointer
144 Cultivators
22 Mower

Postby twotone » Wed Jul 04, 2012 7:05 am

I agree with you Vern. Years ago I used to use Malathion. Real stinkey stuff, I don't know if it's legal anymore.

Tom
Know Your Cub, And Your Cub Will Know You.

Tom

twotone
10+ Years
10+ Years
73 F Cub
144 Cultivators
22 Mower

Postby twotone » Wed Jul 04, 2012 7:07 am

Let me guess Dan, I'll have every Beetle in a 1 mile square at my house if I hang them in my yard.

Tom

outdoors4evr
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48370
Tractors Owned: 184

Postby outdoors4evr » Wed Jul 04, 2012 7:52 am

I setup 2 beetle traps on my property. Both bags are full after 3 days. The instructions tell you to locate the traps away from your garden and flowers. 50 feet away from gardens or more seems to work well. Anything less and they'll be munching in your gardens first.
I dump the bugs into a ziplock and send them off to the dump.
184 w/ Creeper & 3-Point
IH 3160a Mower
IH Model 15 Tiller
IH-54 Blade

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Wed Jul 04, 2012 9:27 am

v w wrote:
twotone wrote:I definately need to put out some traps. the Sevin isn't working 100%.

Tom

No insecticide is 100% effectiive. There is always a small percentage that could about drink it and survive. A problem arises when two of these mate and produce more some of which will be imune. I believe it is best to occasionally spray with a different type. I suggest Ortho's Bug-Be-Gone. It can be hard to find. It is broad spectrum and somewhat persistent so watch clearance times. Vern
I had to resort to that 2 years ago because of squash bugs. Once we were through picking I alternated between the 2 and finally got them under control. Hardly saw any last year or this year either.

twotone wrote:Let me guess Dan, I'll have every Beetle in a 1 mile square at my house if I hang them in my yard.
Not quite that bad, but the traps do recommend you have them few feet away from your flowers gardens, etc. as the scent bait does lure beetles, and not all of them go into the trap. My garden is 150 feet long, and I put one at each end just barely in the worked ground so i don't have to mow around them. On the hillside where I live we have a fairly good breeze practically all the time, so I figure if I got them very far away they would not help the garden much due to the scent being carried away. I also spray with Sevin on a regular basis to help control them.

when you first put the traps out they will fill up in a hurry, but after they are out a while you get less each time. I assume it is because there are fewer beetles, the lure is not as strong, and not all beetles seem to be attracted to it. I don't think the Japanese beetle has any natural predators in the U.S. so that makes it harder to control than most pests.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:17 am

John *.?-!.* cub owner wrote:I don't think the Japanese beetle has any natural predators in the U.S. so that makes it harder to control than most pests.

I've seen robins and bluebirds eating them. Skunks do like the grubs and I've had something tear into the bags and eat the beetles. I figure that's also skunks.
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

v w
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49053

Postby v w » Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:50 am

twotone wrote:I agree with you Vern. Years ago I used to use Malathion. Real stinkey stuff, I don't know if it's legal anymore.

Tom

It is still listed on Do-It-Best's website.
Don McCombs wrote:
John *.?-!.* cub owner wrote:I don't think the Japanese beetle has any natural predators in the U.S. so that makes it harder to control than most pests.

I gave a quick check on the web and the adults are fairly safe. It did give a wasp that uses the beetle for a host for it's eggs but that it is not common enough to make a difference. I guess Jeanne feeds the birds too well. I have never seen them go for beetles. Not saying they haven't. Vern

twotone
10+ Years
10+ Years
73 F Cub
144 Cultivators
22 Mower

Postby twotone » Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:37 am

Pretty interesting stuff guys. I've learned more about garden pests in the last two weeks than I have in my life. Pretty typical of this forum though, that's why I like it here.

Tom

Tom

farmdreamer
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48309

Postby farmdreamer » Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:06 pm

I had some grape vines that brought them in, I tried everything!
The traps brought in by the 100"s, insecticide killed them, but the next day they were back.

What I did find that did work was ducks! Yes ducks!

They gobbled them up as soon as they were near and they cleaned up most of them!

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Fri Jul 13, 2012 7:05 am

They seem to be tapering off here now. Worst year ever due to the mild winter.
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

v w
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49053

Postby v w » Fri Jul 13, 2012 7:23 am

farmdreamer wrote:I had some grape vines that brought them in, I tried everything!
The traps brought in by the 100"s, insecticide killed them, but the next day they were back.

They gobbled them up as soon as they were near and they cleaned up most of them!

A diving duck that eats lots of fish tasts terrible. What would a duck taste like that ate japaneese betles? I think I would give them some regular chow for a while. :big smile: Vern

daddydip
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 19320
eBay ID: 2001fltri
Tractors Owned: CC108
1948 farmall f cub
1955 farmall f cub
1955 international lo boy
1952 vai case
2005 236B Caterpillar
1999 TDI Jetta MK IV I like!
2008 H.D FLTRI

Postby daddydip » Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:14 am

v w wrote:
farmdreamer wrote:I had some grape vines that brought them in, I tried everything!

A diving duck that eats lots of fish tasts terrible. What would a duck taste like that ate japaneese betles? I think I would give them some regular chow for a while. :big smile: Vern

For those with chickens, wet them down and dump them and the chickens will gobble them down,they seem to just love them, cheap protein. :mrgreen:
One Life , One Love , A Love Supreme

The only thing new is untold history, Harry Truman

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:01 am

for some reason the Japanese beetles seem to love Okra. We planted the short variety this year so the drug enforcement wouldn't be checking it out again.
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=44146&p=364938&hilit=okra#p364938
For some reason the Japanese beetles pretty much leave everything else alone and go for the okra. During the earlier part of the season I sprayed the Okra with Sevin a time or tow, and would see rows of dead beetles at the edge of the drip line of the okra plants.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

daddydip
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 19320
eBay ID: 2001fltri
Tractors Owned: CC108
1948 farmall f cub
1955 farmall f cub
1955 international lo boy
1952 vai case
2005 236B Caterpillar
1999 TDI Jetta MK IV I like!
2008 H.D FLTRI

Postby daddydip » Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:48 am

John *.?-!.* cub owner wrote:for some reason the Japanese beetles seem to love Okra. We planted the short variety this year so the drug enforcement wouldn't be checking it out again.
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=44146&p=364938&hilit=okra#p364938
For some reason the Japanese beetles pretty much leave everything else alone and go for the okra. During the earlier part of the season I sprayed the Okra with Sevin a time or tow, and would see rows of dead beetles at the edge of the drip line of the okra plants.

Dang stink bugs are all over my Okra, I need suggestions, no chemicals. Has anyone heard about spraying with dishwasher soap(diluted)?
One Life , One Love , A Love Supreme

The only thing new is untold history, Harry Truman

Return to “Farm Life and Better Half Forum”