This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

gardening question

Farming and rural life discussion forum. Cooking, hunting, gardening, fishing, critters, etc.
phildidit
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 30114
Tractors Owned: 1951 cub "Ms. Scarlett"
1962 Leora's loboy "Starburst"
Circle of Safety: Y

gardening question

Postby phildidit » Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:04 pm

I was wondering what everyone does with the garden at the end of the season. Do you plow the plants under or let them die and plow them later or pull the stuff up and disacard it somewhere else.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bob Perry
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02748
Tractors Owned: :

1949 Farmall Cub / FH

1951 Farmall Cub / IH mower

1964 International Cub Lo-Boy / Woods 59 mower

1967 International Cub / FH

1946 Farmall H

1949 Farmall H

a doodle bug

More than a dozen Cub Cadets running plus a few in the bone-yard

Re: gardening question

Postby Bob Perry » Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:15 pm

Once we've picked the last of the the squash and pumpkins, the goats have it to themselves. I have a couple rolls of 60" high concrete mesh wire and a bunch of metal posts to make a quick fence. There won't be much left.

Also 3 compost bins.
REMEMBER: Keep it correct or you may face the

Bill Hudson
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 44057
Tractors Owned: 57 F-Cub - Dad & Mom's Cub
77 F-Cub - Red Long Stripe

Postby Bill Hudson » Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:18 pm

Phil,

Not trying to be smart, but the answer is "Yes." Many different ways to dispose of the vegetative material, and each has advantages and disadvantages. As a general rule, the more organic matter that you can add to the soil the better. As with all 'general rules,' there are exceptions. If the garden were mine, I would chop the residue, plow it under, and seed a cover crop to be used as green manure (plowed under) next spring.

Here is a publication from the University of Georgia Cooperative Extension that sheds some light on your question. http://www.caes.uga.edu/applications/publications/files/pdf/B%20577_2.PDF

Hope this helps. As an aside, there are numerous professors at Land Grant Universities that have built 30+ year careers answering various different parts of the question you asked. They might answer your question with, "It depends....."

Bill
Last edited by Bill Hudson on Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bill

"The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop." Edwin Conklin, biologist

Member of Ohio Chapter #6

phildidit
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby phildidit » Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:24 pm

I thought I had read somewhere that you are not suppose to plow under the tomatoe plants for some reason. Is that true or am I mistaken.

Bill Hudson
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 44057
Tractors Owned: 57 F-Cub - Dad & Mom's Cub
77 F-Cub - Red Long Stripe

Postby Bill Hudson » Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:34 pm

Phil,

You can plow the tomatoes under, however, do not plant tomatoes on the same soil the following year. Rotate your tomatoes around the garden (divide the garden into quarters and rotate such that you will not be planting tomatoes there again until the fourth year.

Bill
Bill

"The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop." Edwin Conklin, biologist

Member of Ohio Chapter #6

SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61722

Postby SONNY » Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:09 pm

I just plow it under 18 inches deep and by spring there is nothing but nice clean ground to surface till and plant into!! thanks; sonny

Bill
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420

Postby Bill » Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:31 pm

I haul my old tomatoe vines off to the lower forty away from garden, rye grass was thrown into tomatoes while we were harvesting them, when vines come off rye is already growing, same thing with sweet corn except corn stocks get chopped. Rest of garden gets rye as old plants come off. In late October spray with Round Up, plow under when rye is dead. Been doing this for a long time, sure keeps soil in great shape.
Bill

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:09 pm

I mow my garden down with the flail when each part is finished, then when the last is done I plow it all under, but only about 8 inches deep. If I tried to go 18 inches deep like Sonny, all I would have is hard pan consisting of red clay and rock. I mow my tomatoes down with the rest of it, but like Bill Hudson, my tomatoes go in a different part of the garden each year. It takes 4 or 5 years to get around to the same place again. I have thought about a cover crop, but prefer to leave the ground rough, it dries quicker in the spring, and since our garden is in a normally wet spot that is needed.

edit, forgot to mention, my garden is 50 x 120, so there is lots of room to rotate.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

v w
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49053

Postby v w » Sat Aug 18, 2012 7:44 am

I have a sandy loam. All plants are removed and with the exception of corn stalks are burned. The corn stalks are tossed out back. I use a 4 inch chopped grass mulch which is tilled in somewhat in the fall. As long as soil is mixed in it will rot by spring well enough to till in then. (Pictures of the mulching have been previously posted and are in the photo host under vern 709) It takes about 2 acres to mulch my 50x50 main garden. The vine garden is a permanent mulch. Remember when rotating tomatoes that potatoes are a very close relative and they should not follow each other. When I worked in a green house and a customer asked this type of question I always asked why. If whatever you are doing works why change? If there is a problem the change needs to address that. If I read your question right you are just wondering. Good gardening. Vern

phildidit
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby phildidit » Sat Aug 18, 2012 5:31 pm

I have a new garden area with tomatoes and wanted to know what to do with them. I pulled them up last yeat so I will do it again and till undr the rest

tinnerjohn
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44491
Tractors Owned: 52 Cub, 42 Farmall H 49 Ford 8N (FIL's tractor) and a yard full of implements for them 51 Chevy 3100 PU

Postby tinnerjohn » Sat Aug 18, 2012 7:23 pm

There have been a lot of good answers and ideas given, but in my neck of the woods it boils down to: how much time I have and how wet fall is. Cleaning the garden off falls between silage chopping and bean harvest, and all old farmers know that means plenty of rain. John

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:21 pm

We mulch all year with ours and 4 neighbors grass clippings. Most disappear through the year. All 5 yards leafs are spread on the garden or on a compost pile in the fall and turned over in the spring. Been doing this on a 30 by 50 garden since 1959. Staten island is the red brick clay that we have on the north shore or sand on most of the south shore. The soil is now nice rich black loam.
Tomato vines and squash plants are thrown out. Tomato, Eggplant and pepper are related so we plant them in a different spot on a 3 year rotation because the asparagus is in the same spot since before I retired in 1985 and still producing very well.
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

danovercash
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28081

Postby danovercash » Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:50 pm

All garden growth is potential fertlizer, so everything except diseased plants are chopped (mowed) and plowed under.
"I'd rather be a mechanic in the shop"- Henry Ford

252646 & 221525. 195897 (Gone, but not forgotten)

clodhopper
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 27526
Tractors Owned: 1950 Cub Demo
1978 Cub Cadet 1650
cub 193 plow
cub 174 planter
cub sidedresser
cub 144 cultivator
cadet 50C deck

Postby clodhopper » Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:31 pm

I am gonna try something different this year. I have some hardpan about 6-8 inches deep. So hard the plow wont take to it. I have ordered some daikon radish seeds, to plant as a fall cover crop. It should bring in the deer (to fill the freezer) and the large tubers grow fast and deep to break up the hard soil. They also mine nutrients from deep within the soil and store it in their root (the edible part) I am going to let it frost kill over the winter, and then turn it all in with the plow next spring (early) By time to plant, most of it should be decayed. I think this will help my soil more than anything. I am also gonna be spreading my tons of fall leaves on the garden this year.

v w
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49053

Postby v w » Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:12 am

beaconlight wrote:We mulch all year with ours and 4 neighbors grass clippings. Most disappear through the year. All 5 yards leafs are spread on the garden or on a compost pile in the fall and turned over in the spring. Been doing this on a 30 by 50 garden since 1959. Staten island is the red brick clay that we have on the north shore or sand on most of the south shore. The soil is now nice rich black loam.
Tomato vines and squash plants are thrown out. Tomato, Eggplant and pepper are related so we plant them in a different spot on a 3 year rotation because the asparagus is in the same spot since before I retired in 1985 and still producing very well.

I am lucky to have two acres outback for grass clippings and like beaconlight have found it helps soil fertility. It also helps with water rentition. A word of caution to anyone considering this. You might want to have second thoughts about using clippings from any lawn treated with weed-n-feed. My brother-in-law did this for several years and had problems mostly with germination of everything except corn ie: grass. Vern

Return to “Farm Life and Better Half Forum”