This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Dairying in the Channel Islands, UK

Farming and rural life discussion forum. Cooking, hunting, gardening, fishing, critters, etc.
WaMoo
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 99109
Tractors Owned: 1954 Farmall Cub
2013 NH Workmaster 40
Circle of Safety: Y

Dairying in the Channel Islands, UK

Postby WaMoo » Sat Sep 22, 2012 9:42 pm

My wife, Virginia, and I just got back from a trip to the UK, which included a trip to the Channel Islands of Guernsey and Jersey. During our visit to the Channel Islands, we visited 3 dairies, one on Guernsey (Organic) and two on Jersey (one conventional, one organic/producer handler). I just thought I would share some observations of our visits.

First we went to Guernsey. We visited the farm of Jim and Liz Naftel. They are milking 40 Guernseys and selling to "Guernsey Dairy", the one and only milk processor on the island. I think they said there are about 18 dairies on Guernsey with 2,500 cows total. They were actually approached by Guernsey Dairy to go organic because they had a demand for organic milk, and they didn't want to have to import milk to fill that demand. They are certified organic by the UK's Soil Association, and their standards are quite a bit different then the USDA's organic standards. One example is antibiotics. The USDA completely prohibits them, while in the UK, on an organic cow, you can treat with antibiotics. There are a couple of catches though… The antibiotics must be administered by a vet, and the withholding period must be tripled. Also, in the UK, the transition period for land is 2 years, vice 3 in the US, and in the UK, you can feed off of transitional land, as long as it isn't over a certain percentage of the ration.

The Naftel's farm is a collection of old stone buildings, with the main barn dated "1870". They have a newer barn with free stalls (they call them "cow cubicles") and a double 3 side opener parlor made by De Laval. It's actually a fairly updated parlor. It had auto-takeoffs and all the gates are pneumatically operated. They run their 40 milking (and additional 30 young stock/dry cows) on 50 acres. Of the 50 acres, 3/4 is rented. Being such a small island, nobody owns a lot of land. The rental agreements are anything from a handshake to a full written contract. All of the fields are small… I would guess +/- 2 acres each. and surrounded by a hedgerow. The hedgerows are protected by the government, so they can't be removed. Most are centuries old. Also, much of the rented land is not contiguous to the main farm. White clover and Ryegrass seems to be the predominate feed. Weeds of note are Dock and Thistle (Glad to know I'm not the only one with Thistle!) This farm used portable electric fencing to keep stock in, but at least one farm on Guernsey uses "tethering" to control stock. The dairy with the tethered stock are all horned. A chain goes around the poll, and the horns keep it from slipping off. A 25' piece of rope is used to connect the poll to a steel stake driven into the ground. It seems quite labor intensive as they must be lead back and forth for milking and watering, and the stakes must me moved regularly as an area is grazed down.

After Guernsey, it was off to Jersey. This is where we spent a bulk of our time. We stayed with Anne Perchard, a sweet lady who recently turned 80 and is a major advocate for the Jersey breed. She was instrumental in the recent ruling that now allows the importation of Jersey semen to the island, and is a past president of the World Jersey Cattle Bureau. Anyway, while still very involved in the farm, it is one of her son's and her grandson that run the day to day operations. They milk 240 Jerseys using Portuguese as hired labor. They farm 140 vergee (the unit of land area measurement on Jersey, about 62 acres). The milk cows are run in two strings, the low producers, who are pastured night and day, and the high producers who are pastured during the day, but kept in the barn at night and fed TMR. They feed grain in the parlor (a double 10 parallel, De Laval), but not a whole lot, as it must be imported to the island. They are probably one of the biggest dairies on the island (22 farms milking a total of 3,500 cows), yet, if you ask them, they would say their main farming enterprise is potatoes. Jersey is well known throughout the UK for their "Jersey Royal" potatoes, and it is one of the chief exports of the island. It is an early salad potato, and is highly sought after. Being an island of only 5 by 9 miles this leads to a unique double cropping system. The potatoes are planted early, and harvesting starts by mid-April and wraps up in June. The fields are then replanted into corn (they call it maize) or ryegrass, which will then be harvested in the fall as silage for winter feed. She told me that dairying was good for paying bills and buying groceries, but the potatoes allow them to buy new tractors and upgrade equipment (as a side note, the majority of tractors on Jersey are Massey-Furgeson and New Holland). Like everywhere else, milk prices are lower than they should be.

Like on Guernsey, there is a milk processor called "Jersey Dairy" that nearly everybody ships to. They are a co-op, and just recently opened a beautiful, brand new milk processing plant on the island. I say nearly because there is one organic dairy on Jersey and they are also a producer-handler. Darren and Julia Quenalt own and operate "Manor Farm." I must admit, it was quite gutsy to break the monopoly that Jersey Dairy had on the island, and as a result, a few farmers have shunned them. But, they are really nice people and were more than happy to show Virginia and I around their farm and answer all of our questions. They milk 60 Jerseys and process the milk into a bunch of different products: Fluid milk (skim, 1.5%, and whole), soft cheeses, yoghurts, butter, and ice cream. In their farm store they also sell meats, vegetables, and bakery items. They had a nice little operation.

We spent a lot of time just riding our rented bikes around the island. We saw Jerseys everywhere, but we also saw some little black cows. I had thought that the only cows allowed on Jersey were Jerseys… but they also allow Aberdeen Angus just for beef. Some dairyman use Aberdeen Angus bulls for breeding, but the resulting Jersey X Angus can't be milked and must be sold for beef. Like Guernsey, most of the fields were real small, and surrounded with a hedgerow. Also, many farmers use fields that aren't contiguous with the main farm. We saw a few cows tethered, but most fields used for cows are fenced with barb wire or a single strand of electric wire. We also saw one field that had wood posts about 20' apart and just had a single strand of regular old rope stretched between them. I guess it holds the cows in. The cattle have no predators on the island. Also, for watering cattle, the pastures have a small tanker trailer full of water connected to a trough or the trough itself was mounted to the trailer. Everything was portable. They also grow a lot of Mustard as a green manure which they claim help control certain potato nematodes.

When Anne started dairying in 1950, her and her late husband milked 6 cows on 7 acres. There were hundreds of small dairies on the island at the time, but like elsewhere, you had to grow or get out. Jersey was actually occupied by the Nazis in WWII. Anne was 7 when they came onto the island, and it wasn't until she was 13 that they were liberated. She remembers it quite well, and it was amazing listening to her stories of the occupation. The Nazis did bring some Normandie dairy cows onto the island during the occupation, but there was such a backlash from the islanders that they were all slaughtered (the cows, not the Nazis). Even the Nazis don't mess around with Jersey genetics!!!

All in all, we had a great time. Both islands are proud of their dairy heritage. While both islands are a possession of the Crown (Queen of England), they are in fact their own countries and have their own money. The Guernsey cow is proudly displayed on the Guernsey 2 pence coin, while all of Jersey's paper bills have a Jersey cow watermark. I think I covered most anything, but if anybody has any questions, I'll try and answer them the best I can.
WaMoo - Dairy Farmer and U.S. Coast Guard (Retired)
Chewelah, WA
"I had rather be on my farm than be emperor of the world."
~George Washington

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Re: Dairying in the Channel Islands, UK

Postby Rudi » Sat Sep 22, 2012 9:53 pm

I really enjoyed reading your narrative. It was a great read. You obviously had a grand old time in the Channel Islands. Must be beautiful country. Thanks for sharing.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Jack fowler
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby Jack fowler » Sun Sep 23, 2012 7:25 am

Wow… Amazing..thanks for sharing this ,I hope you don’t mind I would like to e-mail your adventure to my family . Some of the things that caught my attention..

First we went to Guernsey: demand for organic milk, Why the demand for organic?

Being such a small island, nobody owns a lot of land, Who owns the land? If any updates are done to the buildings/equipment who gets the benefit?

Guernsey uses "tethering" to control stock. The dairy with the tethered stock are all horned..A 25' piece of rope is used to connect the poll to a steel stake driven into the ground. Why don’t they dehorn?

it was off to Jersey: Being an island of only 5 by 9 miles this leads to a unique double cropping system. The potatoes are planted early, and harvesting starts by mid-April and wraps up in June. The fields are then replanted into corn (they call it maize) or ryegrass, which will then be harvested in the fall as silage for winter feed. I wonder why they don’t let the corn mature?

Jersey was actually occupied by the Nazis in WWII. Anne was 7 when they came onto the island, and it wasn't until she was 13 that they were liberated. She remembers it quite well, and it was amazing listening to her stories of the occupation.. A few years ago I lived with a French family that lived under Nazi occupation and the story’s the told me too were horrifying.

for watering cattle, the pastures have a small tanker trailer full of water connected to a trough or the trough itself was mounted to the trailer. Everything was portable.
I guess the reason behind this if the loose their rental agreement they can take their possessions with them?

I can’t get back to read your answers for a day or two, so don’t hurry to answer. Thanks again for sharing this!!!

Mr E
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 32460
eBay ID: noles1432460

Postby Mr E » Sun Sep 23, 2012 7:44 am

Great read! Sure hope you have some pictures to share.
In the middle of every difficulty lies opportunity. - Albert Einstein

Image. Circle of Safety

Roy Edenfield
Deep South CubFest #10
February 14 & 15, 2020

Bob Perry
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02748
Tractors Owned: :

1949 Farmall Cub / FH

1951 Farmall Cub / IH mower

1964 International Cub Lo-Boy / Woods 59 mower

1967 International Cub / FH

1946 Farmall H

1949 Farmall H

a doodle bug

More than a dozen Cub Cadets running plus a few in the bone-yard

Postby Bob Perry » Sun Sep 23, 2012 1:14 pm

Mr E wrote:Great read! Sure hope you have some pictures to share.

Ditto what they said.... we like pictures !
REMEMBER: Keep it correct or you may face the

WaMoo
10+ Years
10+ Years
2013 NH Workmaster 40

Postby WaMoo » Sun Sep 23, 2012 5:41 pm

I have pictures on my blog...

http://bluecreekdairy.com/blog/index.html

Look under the posts "Dairying in the Channel Islands" and "Farm Visit: Europe."

WaMoo

P.S. You may even find pictures of my Cub in my blog too!
Chewelah, WA
~George Washington

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Sun Sep 23, 2012 6:40 pm

Extremely interesting post. What is TMR?
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

WaMoo
10+ Years
10+ Years
2013 NH Workmaster 40

Postby WaMoo » Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:02 pm

TMR is total mixed rations... Basically, an assortment of forages and grains are all mixed together and then fed to the cows. The types of forages and grains depends on the location, the available feeds, the preference of the farmer, and the nutritional needs of the cow. On dairies that don't feed TMR, typically the forage (hay or silage) is fed in a bunk, and then the grain is fed in the milking parlor.
Chewelah, WA
~George Washington

WaMoo
10+ Years
10+ Years
2013 NH Workmaster 40

Postby WaMoo » Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:16 pm

JackF wrote:Wow… Amazing..thanks for sharing this ,I hope you don’t mind I would like to e-mail your adventure to my family . Some of the things that caught my attention..

First we went to Guernsey: demand for organic milk, Why the demand for organic?

Being such a small island, nobody owns a lot of land, Who owns the land? If any updates are done to the buildings/equipment who gets the benefit?

Guernsey uses "tethering" to control stock. The dairy with the tethered stock are all horned..A 25' piece of rope is used to connect the poll to a steel stake driven into the ground. Why don’t they dehorn?

it was off to Jersey: Being an island of only 5 by 9 miles this leads to a unique double cropping system. The potatoes are planted early, and harvesting starts by mid-April and wraps up in June. The fields are then replanted into corn (they call it maize) or ryegrass, which will then be harvested in the fall as silage for winter feed. I wonder why they don’t let the corn mature?

Jersey was actually occupied by the Nazis in WWII. Anne was 7 when they came onto the island, and it wasn't until she was 13 that they were liberated. She remembers it quite well, and it was amazing listening to her stories of the occupation.. A few years ago I lived with a French family that lived under Nazi occupation and the story’s the told me too were horrifying.

for watering cattle, the pastures have a small tanker trailer full of water connected to a trough or the trough itself was mounted to the trailer. Everything was portable.
I guess the reason behind this if the loose their rental agreement they can take their possessions with them?

I can’t get back to read your answers for a day or two, so don’t hurry to answer. Thanks again for sharing this!!!

I guess the demand for organic is like anywhere... people are more concerned about where there food comes from and how the animals are raised.

Being such small islands, most farms started out small. With only a finite amount of land available, land prices are extremely high. To expand a farm, renting is reasonable, while the average farmer could never afford to buy. A lot of the land is owned by decendants of these earlier, smaller farms, who have no desire to farm themselves. Renting lets them keep it in agriculture (a lower property tax rate)

Most of the cows are dehorned. Only those that tether keep the horns on. If they were to dehorn, the chain around the poll would just slip off. Tethering is the exception to the rule.

The corn does "mature", it's just harvested as silage because that is a more practical use for the plant. It utilizes the whole plant, and there is no need to harvest it for grain as there are no mills on the island to mill it anyway.

When the Nazis came to Jersey, they did let the Jersey government maintain some contol of the island, under the watchful eye of the Germans of course. The hardest part of the occupation was actually after D-Day since the Nazis could no longer get supplies from what was Nazi-occupied France.

The water trailers are simply because it is immpractial to run water lines to all of the fields that cows are pastured in. Some fields are quite a distance from the farmstead. Close to farmsteads, some fields do have piped water.

Hope this answers your questions!
Chewelah, WA
~George Washington

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:48 am

BTW, Stacy. Thank you for your service to our country. :thumbsup:
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

OliverFarmall
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 18822
eBay ID: ranger_jer

Postby OliverFarmall » Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:46 pm

Cool read. I'd love to see pictures.
22 sickle bar mower x2
23A tandem disc harrow
144 cultivator (#53 & #97 spring tooth)
154 leveling and grader blade
189 moldboard plow 2-way
193 moldboard plow x2

spring tooth harrows
David Bradley planter (modded for Cub)

Jack fowler
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby Jack fowler » Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:51 am

Yes you answered everything. I was talking to a dairy farmer yesterday and they told me a horned dairy cow is very tranquil. My exposure is around beef cattle especially Angus and most of the time you have your hands full guarding your life.

WaMoo
10+ Years
10+ Years
2013 NH Workmaster 40

Postby WaMoo » Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:15 pm

JackF wrote:... a horned dairy cow is very tranquil.

If you run horned and polled dairy cattle together, the horned cows know they have horns and will show their dominance. That said, in most cases when a horned dairy cow injures a human (with their horns), I would say that "the cow didn't mean to." Being handled as much as they are, dairy cows can become quite affectionate, almost like a big dog, but sometimes forget that they are 1,000+ pound animal.

Dairy bulls on the other hand, are just plain mean. Especially Jersey bulls.
Chewelah, WA
~George Washington

Return to “Farm Life and Better Half Forum”