This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Plowing Mostly Done

Farming and rural life discussion forum. Cooking, hunting, gardening, fishing, critters, etc.
SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61722

Plowing Mostly Done

Postby SONNY » Sun Nov 24, 2013 5:28 pm

Did get most of the plowing done before the ground froze here and the rest can be done in spring with the small plow!---706 and hi-clear did the major FAST work but got a couple of the smaller gardens turned over with cub and the 917 getting into the tight spots that the cub wouldnt fit into!!--- all the tractors ran well and no major problems with them!--even got the oil and filter changed in the plow cub before I started this year!
We got a bunch of rain here just before the ground froze too,---and I did get part of the sub-soiling done with the 806 while ground was good and dry/hard!---really chunked up nice! thanks; sonny

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Re: Plowing Mostly Done

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sun Nov 24, 2013 11:02 pm

Dad used to talk about when they were plowing in the cold building a fire under the moldboards to warm the plow before starting. He said that if they did not, the ground would freeze to the moldboards as soon as they hit the soil. Once in the soil and moving the ground and friction would keep it warm enough to keep the soil from sticking to it.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61722

Re: Plowing Mostly Done

Postby SONNY » Mon Nov 25, 2013 12:36 pm

Yup,---we did the plow bottom thing when it was used in freezing weather too!!---NOT a fun time to plow but neither was driving tractors with no cabs/heat housers!--LOL!! ----the dirt would also freeze to the steel plow wheels and had to be beat off at each end of the field, making for slow progress!

I now have the dirt here loose enough that the cub plows really well at 6" deep and turns over great, so my 3 foot deep sub-soiling and adding all that horse manure is starting to pay BIG returns in just 3 to 7 years! thanks; sonny

Return to “Farm Life and Better Half Forum”